• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Pokemon Switch Version

What do you think this game or these games will be?

• Total voters
@Bolt the Cat would you consider games that strictly adhere to the formula bad games?

If there's an opportunity for the formula to evolve and the game refuses to, then yes. A game should definitely adapt to changes in technology and gameplay philosophy, but not to the point where it abandons the series' core appeal. In this case, going open world is a step the series really should take, console games nowadays strongly emphasize freedom and player choice and those values really fit with the core Pokemon experience which is a self-driven adventure through a vast region where you search for Pokemon to catch, and then train them to battle Pokemon all over the region. Open world expands on that concept. Whereas turn based battling has always been a core part of the experience and adds a certain sense of strategy to the games. Changing that aspect of the game could remove that sense of strategy from the games or change it to the point where the games lose their identity. That's not to say it can't be done, but they'd have to be very careful about it to retain the core appeal of Pokemon battles. So yes, strictly adhering to a formula all of the time is bad but they really need to be smart about what aspects to change and how.

There is no way Gamefreak is going to pull off an open world game to the level of breath of the wild, on their first Switch game. I do however see Gamefreak progressing to a more open world experience. It probably all depends on the future of Nintendo's consoles though. If for instance, the Switch is a one off hybrid console, and they go back to having seperate handhelds and consoles for whatever reason (judging from the success of Switch, this will hopefully not happen), will Ganefreak be okay with giving us amazing console level Pokemon titles, only to have to go back to handheld level titles afterwards? This is entirely speculative, as nobody knows what the future of Nintendo holds.

For the time being, I do see Gamefreak making Switch regions much bigger than previous regions. With the Switch's power, they have no excuse to release small regions, unless they are able to place enough content in it to satisfy us. Larger regions should be something they focus on though. Hopefully they also work on giving us actual post game content as well, as the last few games have been lacking in that aspect.

To go with the larger regions, there should also hopefully be plenty of places to explore. Some that are somewhat hidden, and others that could potentially take you right off track from the main storyline. Personally, I'd love to see sidequests featured in Switch titles. having NPC characters give us sidequests will be a good way to further RPG gaming on these titles.

I think they will test it on Johto(+Kanto) or Sinnoh first.

I doubt DP remakes will be created for Switch before Gen VIII

what was with fire red and leaf green?? a new console???

and pokemon XY??? in 3D???

Charizard Y and X?

everyone has the right to doubt, but if you belive very much in something and do something for it then it could hapen.

what was with fire red and leaf green?? a new console???

and pokemon XY??? in 3D???

Charizard Y and X?

everyone has the right to doubt, but if you belive very much in something and do something for it then it could hapen.

Literally nothing you said made any sense at all.

Fire Red and Leaf Green was created AFTER Gen III started, not before. And what the hell does XY being in 3D and Mega Charizard have to do with anything? All you did was come up with one remark that actually helps ME, and two remarks that don't even slightly have to do with anything. Next time you want to give examples, I suggest you actually give examples that atleast slightly have to do with what I'm talking about.

Please NOT Alola again. With GF's ability and (already present high-quality) HD assets, if they were to make USUM versions for the Switch, they should've been released on December 2017 at the highest. I'm not paying for a lazy port that releases 'year or more' later than the original release.

I'm confused why anyone would think that they're working on another game set in Alola or that it would be a port of US/UM for the Switch. The latter is especially strange. I know that people thought that Stars would be a Sun/Moon port for the Switch and I didn't think that would happen for similar reason, but at least it makes a bit more sense than a US/UM port. Sun/Moon would at least be the start of a new generation, so the idea of that being on the Switch would be appealing for people, but US/UM are the second set of games in the generations. Regardless of how different they are from Sun/Moon, they aren't going to have the same kind of reaction simply because it's not the start of a new generation with new Pokemon and a new region to explore.

There's no way that they'd have the main series' debut on the Switch as a port either. Even having D/P remakes before the next generation seems unlikely because a new generation on a new console is going to attract more attention and sales. Besides all that, if they did make a US/UM port for the Switch, that would mean that there would be four versions of what is basically the same game. That would be too much and pretty unnecessary. It's not like Pokemon absolutely has to be on the Switch sooner rather than later. It's not like the Switch is hurting for more sales. Based on what I've heard, the system is doing fine.

Given how it was presented at E3, which they wouldn't have done if it was just a port, and that they may be just in early development, the chances are excellent that this is a new generation. There is absolutely no reason to think that this is going to be another game set in Alola or a port of US/UM, so I don't understand how people would worry about that or come to that conclusion. It's just doesn't make any sense to me.

I'm confused why anyone would think that they're working on another game set in Alola or that it would be a port of US/UM for the Switch. The latter is especially strange. I know that people thought that Stars would be a Sun/Moon port for the Switch and I didn't think that would happen for similar reason, but at least it makes a bit more sense than a US/UM port. Sun/Moon would at least be the start of a new generation, so the idea of that being on the Switch would be appealing for people, but US/UM are the second set of games in the generations. Regardless of how different they are from Sun/Moon, they aren't going to have the same kind of reaction simply because it's not the start of a new generation with new Pokemon and a new region to explore.

There's no way that they'd have the main series' debut on the Switch as a port either. Even having D/P remakes before the next generation seems unlikely because a new generation on a new console is going to attract more attention and sales. Besides all that, if they did make a US/UM port for the Switch, that would mean that there would be four versions of what is basically the same game. That would be too much and pretty unnecessary. It's not like Pokemon absolutely has to be on the Switch sooner rather than later. It's not like the Switch is hurting for more sales. Based on what I've heard, the system is doing fine.

Given how it was presented at E3, which they wouldn't have done if it was just a port, and that they may be just in early development, the chances are excellent that this is a new generation. There is absolutely no reason to think that this is going to be another game set in Alola or a port of US/UM, so I don't understand how people would worry about that or come to that conclusion. It's just doesn't make any sense to me.
The other option is Kanto sequels which I would prefer way more than Gen VIII.

The other option is Kanto sequels which I would prefer way more than Gen VIII.

Kanto sequels would be an interesting concept and I could see that being the first main series title for the Switch. At least it would be still a new game and being set in Kanto could make people more excited for it. I'm not sure if I'd prefer that over a new generation though. I like the idea behind Kanto sequels and that could be interesting depending on the execution, but a new generation would have more new content by comparison. Not to mention I'm a bit tired of the amount of focus Kanto has gotten through the last few years. I'd still buy Kanto sequels, but given the choice, I think I'd rather see a brand new generation for the Switch's first set of main series Pokemon titles.

I would prefer a new generation, but I think it's definitely too soon. I don't want them to rush it. I want them to take their time and make it damn good, and I don't believe there's any way they could do that by late 2018 as they've suggested. So I'd be perfectly happy with Kanto/Johto sequels.

Kanto sequels would be an interesting concept and I could see that being the first main series title for the Switch. At least it would be still a new game and being set in Kanto could make people more excited for it. I'm not sure if I'd prefer that over a new generation though. I like the idea behind Kanto sequels and that could be interesting depending on the execution, but a new generation would have more new content by comparison. Not to mention I'm a bit tired of the amount of focus Kanto has gotten through the last few years. I'd still buy Kanto sequels, but given the choice, I think I'd rather see a brand new generation for the Switch's first set of main series Pokemon titles.
Maybe Game Freak could take things further and have the new generation take place in a past region? Kanto as-is is quite stale in terms of region design, Pokémon distribution, and even lacking their own lore surrounding their legendaries. Game Freak could easily add new Pokémon and revamp the region in the Kanto sequel and have that as a focus. The people of Kanto could be torn about the new Pokémon and the changes happening to their region and make this the game's central plot point.

The first camp embraces these new Pokémon species and the changes to the region, but are also willing to sacrifice Kanto's culture for the sake of a diverse region. This camp represents those who are tired of Kanto being as-is and would rather see the region gain a major overhaul to actually warrant all the hype surrounding it. The second camp are too set in the old ways of only having previous Kanto-natives (and some Johto) and view the new species as invaders that need to be driven out of the region. This camp obviously represents the "Gen 1 only" crowd (not calling them by that one title, as a mod said no to that term). The third camp of citizens take the middle ground: they are fine with the new species and changes to the region and respect the old traditions, but they also don't care about this division of their region's populace. Your mission is to find out what's going on with these new species and the changes to the Kanto region, as well as calm the first two groups of Kanto citizens before a civil war breaks out. Also, there will be two new Kanto legendaries that were apparently forgotten with time.

What if they make Kanto and Johto as one giant region for the sequels? No separation, just unity.

I would prefer a new generation, but I think it's definitely too soon. I don't want them to rush it. I want them to take their time and make it damn good, and I don't believe there's any way they could do that by late 2018 as they've suggested. So I'd be perfectly happy with Kanto/Johto sequels.

I can understand that concern, but I really doubt that they'll have it ready by next year, especially if they're so early in development, and even Kanto sequels could be rushed out with that time limit too. I want them to take their time with a new generation too, but I'm leading towards them taking a break next year in order to further prepare for the Switch title.

Maybe Game Freak could take things further and have the new generation take place in a past region? Kanto as-is is quite stale in terms of region design, Pokémon distribution, and even lacking their own lore surrounding their legendaries. Game Freak could easily add new Pokémon and revamp the region in the Kanto sequel and have that as a focus. The people of Kanto could be torn about the new Pokémon and the changes happening to their region and make this the game's central plot point.

The first camp embraces these new Pokémon species and the changes to the region, but are also willing to sacrifice Kanto's culture for the sake of a diverse region. This camp represents those who are tired of Kanto being as-is and would rather see the region gain a major overhaul to actually warrant all the hype surrounding it. The second camp are too set in the old ways of only having previous Kanto-natives (and some Johto) and view the new species as invaders that need to be driven out of the region. This camp obviously represents the "Gen 1 only" crowd (not calling them by that one title, as a mod said no to that term). The third camp of citizens take the middle ground: they are fine with the new species and changes to the region and respect the old traditions, but they also don't care about this division of their region's populace. Your mission is to find out what's going on with these new species and the changes to the Kanto region, as well as calm the first two groups of Kanto citizens before a civil war breaks out. Also, there will be two new Kanto legendaries that were apparently forgotten with time.

That is an interesting concept. Kanto definitely could use something to make it less stale and more unique beyond being the first region. I'm not sure if they'd go in that direction though. They probably wouldn't want to paint a group of fans in a certain way through the storyline and having brand new Pokemon in an old region seems a bit strange. It could be an interesting concept, but I don't see it happening.

What if they make Kanto and Johto as one giant region for the sequels? No separation, just unity.

That might be a bit too large and I don't think that they'd combine two regions together. Plus, I'd prefer for Johto to be more fleshed out instead of just being an extension of Kanto.

PLEASE NO. I don't want Kanto to replace a new Region and new Pokemon. They're MUCH more expansive than Kanto can ever hope to be.

but I really doubt that they'll have it ready by next year, especially if they're so early in development, and even Kanto sequels could be rushed out with that time limit too. I want them to take their time with a new generation too, but I'm leading towards them taking a break next year in order to further prepare for the Switch title.

Whether it comes in 2018 or not, the fact that they announced its production at E3 and stated that they hope to release it in 2018 says plenty. It doesn't matter if they succeed at a 2018 release or end up releasing it in 2019. They made an E3 announcement (which was already unheard of for GF), which also had the potential to undermine USUM with Switch hype. They're definitely serious about the possibility of 2018, and if you couple that with the fact that they're still in early development stages, it reduces the chances of it being Gen VIII to almost nothing. XY took 3 years to develop and SM took around 2-2.5 years to develop. A new generation on a new platform and engine would take at least 3 years, and we have confirmation that Switch development didn't start until about late 2016/early 2017. That would mean a max of 2 years for a new generation game, though recent reports (like an interview with GameInformer) suggest that development really started in early 2017 rather than earlier, which would put these new games on a dev time less than 2 years. Once again, I repeat, whether or not the games are delayed until 2019 matters little, since GF stated they were aiming for 2018. The very fact they think 2018 is a possibility would be insane if they're talking about a new generation.

Whether it comes in 2018 or not, the fact that they announced its production at E3 and stated that they hope to release it in 2018 says plenty. It doesn't matter if they succeed at a 2018 release or end up releasing it in 2019. They made an E3 announcement (which was already unheard of for GF), which also had the potential to undermine USUM with Switch hype. They're definitely serious about the possibility of 2018, and if you couple that with the fact that they're still in early development stages, it reduces the chances of it being Gen VIII to almost nothing. XY took 3 years to develop and SM took around 2-2.5 years to develop. A new generation on a new platform and engine would take at least 3 years, and we have confirmation that Switch development didn't start until about late 2016/early 2017. That would mean a max of 2 years for a new generation game, though recent reports (like an interview with GameInformer) suggest that development really started in early 2017 rather than earlier, which would put these new games on a dev time less than 2 years. Once again, I repeat, whether or not the games are delayed until 2019 matters little, since GF stated they were aiming for 2018. The very fact they think 2018 is a possibility would be insane if they're talking about a new generation.

They may want it to be out by 2018, but that doesn't mean it's going to happen. Their dates for the games have been vague because they can't really promise anything solid when it's so early in development. I honestly don't see a difference between 2018 or later and their initial statement that the games won't be seen for more than a year. Unless we get more solid information about the game within the near future, I don't think that the chances are too likely that it will come out next year. If they start the pre-release season for the games by early next year or sometime in the spring, then that would obviously be a different story, but based on how they've announced the games and talked about them in the interview, I don't think that it's too likely for the games to come out next year. Even if it's a Kanto sequel or a D/P remake, I'm not sure if they'd be able to develop it within that short time frame either.

They may want it to be out by 2018, but that doesn't mean it's going to happen.

I stated that multiple times. I perfectly understand that a 2018 release may not happen. But the fact that they're hoping for 2018 already sends a signal that they likely aren't working on a new generation--if they were, 2018 would be too outlandish to even hope for. Does that phrasing make more sense?

Even if it's a Kanto sequel or a D/P remake, I'm not sure if they'd be able to develop it within that short time frame either.

Fair enough, though ORAS was developed in about 2 years if that's anything to go by. If they are using an increased staff to speed up production, and reuse some assets from USUM, the time frame makes perfect sense. If remake/sequel-type games take about 2 years to develop, it perfectly explains their suggested release window. They would hope for Q4 2018, intending to go a little faster than before, and Q1/Q2 2019 would fit more in line with past remake-type game development cycles.

Back
Top Bottom