• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Are you a competitive person?

CherubCookie

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
xvD53f0.jpg

^
me, vs you​

Do you consider yourself a competitive person? Are you someone that prefers winning at all costs instead of playing fair? Or are you happier just to be involved when things are happening? Is competition between friends healthy or does it lead to a world of pain?

Do you play sports? Do you want to take over the world? Let's talk competition!

I find the concept of "winning" quite fascinating and I'd like to know what you all think here! I for one, enjoy when things are going my way a lot more than perhaps is reasonable. I sometimes subconsciously find myself hoping to shine brighter when someone I think is better than me steps up to do something that I enjoy also doing. What do you all think?

I'm not really competitive when it comes to athletics. I like to play sports only to be active, mostly. When it comes to video games, I can be a tad competitive, especially playing against family members and at competitions, but I still would rather have fun otherwise I would just dwell on losing and that's not a healthy way to live. I'm not saying I do not strive to win, but to dwell on losses isn't good. I know I cannot be the best at everything and that's what I live by when it comes to winning or losing. I'll just learn from losses and try to do better next time.

I will never cheat to win since there is absolutely no fun in that. Playing fair all the way for me. I don't even like cheating on my resumes or job interviews.

I wouldn't consider myself a competitive person. I prefer playing fair over winning at all costs and am not a sore loser.
In general, I think that a little bit of competition between friends/family can be healthy but there needs to be a limit. You pretty much set those limits together in practice as you bond with each other.
Sometimes however, when people are annoying me over something they think they're good at and I think I can win, I end up becoming a bit more competitive or at least pretend to be so to get back at them. But it's mostly in good fun.

I'm not playing sports much, mostly because I'm not fit enough. And I most certainly don't feel like taking over the world, I just want a happy and healthy life for me and all the people I care for.

I wouldn't say I'm that competitive in the sense that I care about beating other people at stuff, but if I'm doing something I care about (which may be competitive by nature), then I definitely try to do my best.

I'm competitive, in the sense that I'll try to give it my all in most games/competitions. I feel like it's disrespectful to my opponent(s) for me to underestimate them and not give it 100%. I think healthy competition is good because it encourages both sides to push their limits and often helps brings out the best in everyone. Competition also gives me a certain thrill, and it's fun to pull off the upset when you're considered an underdog.

Often times I hear that competitive people "take the fun out of the game" or prioritize winning over having fun, but I never understood that notion. Competing and having fun are not mutually exclusive; the two can complement each other quite well, in my opinion. There's a certain satisfaction in working hard towards achieving something, and in return it motivates me to keep pushing myself to see how far I can go.

i have a competitive drive in the sense that i like improving at what i'm doing relative to other people. if i'm playing someone in a video game, i'm usually going to want to beat them. i'm going to want to improve faster than they do. and i can do all of that (sometimes).

what i don't like is participating in actual competitions, e.g. tournaments, basketball games, etc. it's a pretty large part of why i stopped playing sports, especially team sports. i get really down on myself if i feel like i underperform. i also really dislike eliminating people. it feels awful. i want everyone to be able to play as much as they can.

so it's a bit complicated: i like beating my friends and i like the process of improving at something, but i don't actually like entering competitions.

I am competitive when it comes to exams. I always want to be the class topper. But I channel my competitiveness through hardwork and extra study. I strictly believe in fair play and would never cheat.
Other than that, I am not competitive in anything else, and I dunno whether that's a good thing or not.

I'm pretty competitive with a lot of things. I like to try to be the best at whatever I do, whether that was in school with academics, whenever I did anything athletic (I only played one year of an actual sport, but in all my gym classes I was rockin' it in tennis, basketball, etc.), or in video games. It probably goes with being a perfectionist. But it also unfortunately means it's tough for me when things don't work out since I take it as a personal failure, though I wouldn't ever hold that against my competitor and I definitely respect the skill of those who beat me in anything. Because of my competitive perfectionism though, I generally stay away from things that I don't feel incredibly comfortable in my skills with, for better or for worse.

I am intensely competitive, so much so that I find it painful. They beat me and it kills my pride. If someone's better than me, that gets me down in the dumps far, far too much, and actually causes a mini existential crisis where I question everything. I'm really messy and neurotic like that. So I generally avoid competitive games and prefer the more collaborative sort so I don't have to deal with that risk. I rarely win any sort of game anyway.

I guess I'm competitive in a weird way. I don't like any form of PvP with strangers at all. I'm usually pretty good at PvP but I don't like people. Playing versus friends though is OK (which is how I know I'm pretty good. All my friends love PvP and do it all the time so they're really good at it, but sometimes I still manage to beat them). In situations like that I take the competitiveness with a grain of salt because I don't PvP so if I lose it's understandable.

However, in games that don't involve playing with strangers, like when I used to play Street Fighter II, Mortal Kombat II, or the original Mario Kart with my friends, I was REALLY competitive with that stuff. I absolutely HATED to lose. Not to the point where I'd like throw a hissy fit or anything but I'd really try my hardest to win.

I'm also pretty competitive in grades. I like to be at the top of the class, or at least getting A's if there's no class scores posted.

That being said, I don't cheat. I never cheat for anything. Sometimes I say I cheat, but what I really mean is like in PvE if I can find a way to sort of game the system, like finding a way to get to a town that sells powerful weapons early in the game, or take advantage of the AI (for instance, there's a boss in Chrono Cross that I figured out a way to get through the entire fight without him hitting you even once because if you use certain skills he will spend the entire fight throwing useless debuffs at you). That's the only "cheating" I'm willing to engage in, and since it's not hacking it's not actually cheating.

I'm quite competitive. I love the feeling of winning and success at whatever it is that I may do. I also loathe the feeling of defeat or failure and never really take it that well. I love the knowledge that I'm one of the best students in whatever class I may be taking but hate feeling like I'm average or below average. If I may be honest for a moment, I'd love to be great at everything I'm interested in and many things that I'm not. Just to relish in the feeling of success. However, I would never cheat or resort to similarly dirty things just to keep succeeding. It's not as satisfying when it's not on my own merit.
With this in mind, I've tried to avoid comparing myself to other people. I know in the past it would lead to intense feelings of insecurity and jealousy if I ever felt second best or worse. I also avoid competitive games like the plague just because of the knowledge that I wouldn't have a ton of fun with them most of the time. If I had to say why I'm like this, it's probably the feeling that I always have something to prove. This part of me isn't something I'm proud of to say the least.

In general, I think that a little bit of competition between friends/family can be healthy but there needs to be a limit. You pretty much set those limits together in practice as you bond with each other.
Sometimes however, when people are annoying me over something they think they're good at and I think I can win, I end up becoming a bit more competitive or at least pretend to be so to get back at them. But it's mostly in good fun.
Completely agree with this! I think competition that drives people forward is a very healthy and beneficial. If there's an equal field, without a stressful environment people really thrive when they want to show that they've done something cool.

It isn't always fun to completely thwomp an opponent, unless they really had it coming :ROFLMAO:

Often times I hear that competitive people "take the fun out of the game" or prioritize winning over having fun, but I never understood that notion.
I think it takes the fun out if you're only playing with the sole intent of beating the other person down with your success. If someone's particularly spiteful about it, it can be very draining. (but achieving something is a great motivator as a whole)

I think I'm a fairly competitive person on certain aspects where I am required to be competitive. That being said, I do not cheat to win.

I do like the sense of winning, but at the end of the day, I'm competitive mainly because of the fact I like to push myself.

I'm by far the least competitive person here. I'm pretty sure there's no one less competitive and more willing to be lackadaisical in competitions than I. Bet.

Not gonna lie, I am extremely competitive. It doesn't take much to make me jealous of someone else who fits my definition of "successful". Admittedly, I am also a very sore loser. For example, I just barely won a battle against a Team Skull Grunt's Golbat in Moon and I felt so humiliated about the damage it dealt to my team that I deleted the save file and haven't played again since then. However, in spite of all that, I do feel that it's morally wrong to cheat so I prefer playing fair even when the odds are stacked against me.

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom