• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Trials, Gyms or Both?

I still think we'll be keeping trials, perhaps Ryuki is showing the player what a Gym is since it's pretty much a foreign concept on Alola~ Either that or they made a trip to Kanto~

I liked trials, but I think gyms are slightly better, because they seem like more of a challange? Maybe they could make trials part of the gyms or something. I didn't have any trouble with any of the totem pokémons, except for Wishiwashi.

If they do bring back gyms, I'd like to have leaders that aren't total pushovers, because I didn't struggle one time in X and Y, and it gets kind of boring after a while...

The problem there wasn't even them being pushovers, it was the teams capping at 3 Pokemon. Seriously, IDK what phase GF was going through with Gens V and VI, but you can have whatever combos of strong Pokemon you want. Having only 3 when the player's going to have 6 will never be a challenge. If Gyms come back, they need to give them more than 3 Pokemon, there is no excuse for the 8th Gym having 3 Pokemon at all.

The problem there wasn't even them being pushovers, it was the teams capping at 3 Pokemon. Seriously, IDK what phase GF was going through with Gens V and VI, but you can have whatever combos of strong Pokemon you want. Having only 3 when the player's going to have 6 will never be a challenge. If Gyms come back, they need to give them more than 3 Pokemon, there is no excuse for the 8th Gym having 3 Pokemon at all.
nah quality over quantity. three solid Pokemon is much better than two jokemons, a couple of meh threats, and then an ace.

nah quality over quantity. three solid Pokemon is much better than two jokemons, a couple of meh threats, and then an ace.

None of these Gen V and VI rosters were solid enough if people are still finding them too easy. There's no reason for the 8th Gyms to still be having the same amount of Pokemon as the 3rd. Especially if the Champion is still having 6~

None of these Gen V and VI rosters were solid enough if people are still finding them too easy. There's no reason for the 8th Gyms to still be having the same amount of Pokemon as the 3rd. Especially if the Champion is still having 6~
Pokemon games are easy. water is wet. even when the older games had larger gym rosters (which didn't even last long considering that there's only three leaders with five Pokemon (Juan, Wallace, and Giovanni) they were easy. expanding the rosters will do nothing to remedy it on their own.

People found gen V gyms EASY? I mean I found em on par with platinum, not exactly super hard but they werent pushovers by any means. Especially in B2W2, with a slight level bump and sitrus berries everywhere it was by no means a cakewalk. Especially the last three, Skyla and Drake greatly benefit from having a skarmory and Flygon while also getting updates to Swanna and Haxorus, and I still get chills when thinking about Marlon and that Wairlord Jellicent Wombo Combo. Not saying that I LIKE three Pokemon for the lesders persay, just that they have to make great strides in creating a proper challenge with three Pokemon, or enforce a half team rule and going in only with three Pokemon. If they fill up teams then they have to dumb down the AI and builds for the leaders, because lets be honest, if they make teama like B2W2 but with a full roster then it would be WAY too hard for the audience they aee targeting.

As for gyms in USUM, I have resigned from an sort of notion, unless the crazt bastards put in Kanto(yeah right) OR the post league facility is actually a gym frontier, featuring most of the gym puzzles and leaders. God knows how that would work.

Actually it would be neat if the system would go back to Gyms after Alola, but every Gym leader asks the trainer to accomplish a task before facing them, the request being somehow related to the Gym, or the type the leader is specialized in. /Rock type Gym leader requesting trainer to visit the cave, find the hurt Onix, and cure it. In the meantime, face through Graveler and Golem who feed on the moss that Onix has on its rocks. (As Pokédex states, Graveler eat rocks covered with moss.) You save Onix from OP Graveler and Golem, and Gym leader sees you a worthy trainer to have a Pokémon battle.

Pretty much a combination of Gyms and trials. Trials on their own are not the best option, but Gyms can be improved with it.

Last edited:
While we have Trials, I wouldn't mind if we have outdoor gym battle, instead of indoor gym battle. Which is reason I don't see any Gym building located on any of island, so outdoor gym battle are necessary.

Looks like this might disproven the chances of gyms returning in USUM, judging the buidling on the empty slots, but I'm skeptical on Ryuki in a building that looks like Vermillion City Gyms?

Eh, Santalune Forest's layout is exactly like Viridian Forest, so I'd imagine this is a similar thing.

People found gen V gyms EASY? I mean I found em on par with platinum, not exactly super hard but they werent pushovers by any means. Especially in B2W2, with a slight level bump and sitrus berries everywhere it was by no means a cakewalk. Especially the last three, Skyla and Drake greatly benefit from having a skarmory and Flygon while also getting updates to Swanna and Haxorus, and I still get chills when thinking about Marlon and that Wairlord Jellicent Wombo Combo. Not saying that I LIKE three Pokemon for the lesders persay, just that they have to make great strides in creating a proper challenge with three Pokemon, or enforce a half team rule and going in only with three Pokemon. If they fill up teams then they have to dumb down the AI and builds for the leaders, because lets be honest, if they make teama like B2W2 but with a full roster then it would be WAY too hard for the audience they aee targeting.

As for gyms in USUM, I have resigned from an sort of notion, unless the crazt bastards put in Kanto(yeah right) OR the post league facility is actually a gym frontier, featuring most of the gym puzzles and leaders. God knows how that would work.
Gen V is a good example of three-man teams that turn out okay, but at the end of the day the leaders are still fairly easy (if not more challenging when compared to the series as a whole). most difficulty is dependent on other choices you've made (starters, your team, and so on) and not necessarily being a difficult boss.

Last edited:
I think that it should be like this:
Option 1:
Gym 1 - 3 Pokémon
Gym 2 - 3 Pokémon
Gym 3 - 3 Pokémon
Gym 4 - 3 Pokémon
Gym 5 - 4 Pokémon
Gym 6 - 4 Pokémon
Gym 7 - 4 Pokémon
Gym 8 - 4 Pokémon

Elite 4 - 5 Pokémon
Champion - 6 Pokémon

Option 2:
Gym 1 - 3 Pokémon
Gym 2 - 3 Pokémon
Gym 3 - 3 Pokémon
Gym 4 - 4 Pokémon
Gym 5 - 4 Pokémon
Gym 6 - 4 Pokémon
Gym 7 - 5 Pokémon
Gym 8 - 5 Pokémon

Elite 4 - 5 Pokémon
Champion - 6 Pokémon

I think that it should be like this:
Option 1:
Gym 1 - 3 Pokémon
Gym 2 - 3 Pokémon
Gym 3 - 3 Pokémon
Gym 4 - 3 Pokémon
Gym 5 - 4 Pokémon
Gym 6 - 4 Pokémon
Gym 7 - 4 Pokémon
Gym 8 - 4 Pokémon

Elite 4 - 5 Pokémon
Champion - 6 Pokémon

Option 2:
Gym 1 - 3 Pokémon
Gym 2 - 3 Pokémon
Gym 3 - 3 Pokémon
Gym 4 - 4 Pokémon
Gym 5 - 4 Pokémon
Gym 6 - 4 Pokémon
Gym 7 - 5 Pokémon
Gym 8 - 5 Pokémon

Elite 4 - 5 Pokémon
Champion - 6 Pokémon

I think E4 and Gym 8 should be 6 Pokémon.

While I like Trials, I wouldn't mind Gym Battles either. Outdoor sounds like it has potential, maybe they can make it so the environment becomes more influential? Like battling a Ground-type expert in a desert

While I like Trials, I wouldn't mind Gym Battles either. Outdoor sounds like it has potential, maybe they can make it so the environment becomes more influential? Like battling a Ground-type expert in a desert
That sounds like a Gym Battle with a Terrain.

You know we all talk about how trials are still in the games and how because there are no gym buildings this means trials are still here to stay with no gyms. But we never stopped to consider that maybe gyms ARE in the games. You just made me think what if some of the less fleshed out areas are so because they will become gym trials? Basically, beating the Totem Pokemon and gaining the Z crystal will be required or optional, and all the Captains are now a required battle with a gym badge, with the nww Title of Trial Leader, as there are still trials and trial sites, but the Totem is optional. Basically to make it easier to understand:
Trial Leader Ilima-Verdant Cavern Trial Site
Trial Leader Lana-Brooklet Hill and irs Caves
Trial Leader Kiawe-Wela Volcano(interior as well)
Trial Leader Mallow-Lush Jungle Trial Site but with an expanded layout
Trial Leader Sophocles- Expanded observatory with puzzles(more like a gym)

And so on so forth. Some sites might change but you get the idea.
Edit: I dunno how Totems would work in this situation. They are implied to be owed by the Captains in SM, so perhaps they can be treated as Aces with the Totem Boost. Either way, I can see this haplening easily, as a hybrid Gym Trial thing. 8 Trial Sites with Leaders, and updayed maps to mirror gym puzzles.

Last edited:
I think trials are so inherent to Alolan culture and heritage I am sure they will be back and part of the main game. However I don't rule out gyms post game. Either Alolan Trial captains as Gym Leaders or a return to an older region with gyms.

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xh89YdElp7o

Kukui with no trial confirmed. Or has it moved? Are there even any trials? HMMMMMM

Reminder that we still possess the island challenge amulet, trials are not gone, all this proves is that SOME trials have been modified, if even slightly
9ce96c0f69.jpg
. The hiker says "Alola! Now then...who am I?Who could I be?"

Furthermore, there are 0 buildings in Alola that even resemble a gym building, the map has not changed enough to warrant such drastic changes as replacing trials.

When talking to Gameinformer about how trials had been programmed into the game during the debugging phase, Ohmori gave the fire trial as an example of things he had to do himself for lack of resources/staff, and that is why they are something as simple as "spot the difference". I think this just means that the fire trial has been changed to something better (hopefully) now that they have the actual staff there from the beginning. Mina's trial might actually exist this time as well, if it has not been replaced altogether that is

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom