• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Battle Tree Thread

How do you find the battle tree?

• Completely Unreasonable, couldn't handle normal battles

• Prett Hard, I beat 20 in Normal battles, but super battles are just ridiculous

• Difficult, I'm about halfway through Super, but keep getting walled by something

• Okay, I beat a Super battles contest, but only just

• Easy, I'm well past 90 in my streak

• Well, I beat all 3 Super Battle Types, but that doesn't make it easy.

• This facility was a joke, I've already beaten all 3 super battle types and make high streaks

Results are only viewable after voting.

Tea & Scones

Debate Artist
Reaction score
The battle tree is the hardest thing Sun and Moon have to offer, and this could be the place to discuss it. So what this chat is for is to discuss the battle tree as a whole, i.e. teams you have created, problems you've faced, battles that just went way out of your hand, and how you have found the battle tree overall.

Futhermore, after wandering multiple websites and forums such as Bulbagarden and Smogon, it has come to my attention that we don't have a records thread or Leaderboard dedicated solely to the battle tree. So I would like to see what everyone has acheived in the battle tree, and start creating a Leaderboard for the forums. So if you've fought some battles in the battle tree, post your records and teams!

I'm pretty close to completing the Battle Tree stamps with only the Multi Battle one left. I've been using a paraflincher Togekiss alongside Kiawe's Mega Kangaskhan and Alolan Marowak. I use Togekiss as to cripple and eliminate opponents that cause trouble for Mega Kangaskhan. I've been using Mega Salamence as my other Pokemon which is going okay but I'm planning on switching it with a Mega Lucario so there aren't so many on my side weak to Rock-type moves.

I'm pretty close to completing the Battle Tree stamps with only the Multi Battle one left. I've been using a paraflincher Togekiss alongside Kiawe's Mega Kangaskhan and Alolan Marowak. I use Togekiss as to cripple and eliminate opponents that cause trouble for Mega Kangaskhan. I've been using Mega Salamence as my other Pokemon which is going okay but I'm planning on switching it with a Mega Lucario so there aren't so many on my side weak to Rock-type moves.

Oh wow you're doing well. ( As a side note how many stamps have you gotten?)
Did you have records and sets for everything you've done (I mean Togekiss and MMence seem like obvious choices, but in particular for Super Single/Doubles)

I didn't get SM so I've obviously never been in the Battle Tree, but I heard how tricky it is.
It's a given that I'll be trying my best in whatever cruel battle facility USUM serves up, which means I may end up in the tree after all if GF reprise it.

Oh wow you're doing well. ( As a side note how many stamps have you gotten?)
Did you have records and sets for everything you've done (I mean Togekiss and MMence seem like obvious choices, but in particular for Super Single/Doubles)

Other than the Multi Battle just the PokeFinder Stamp. In Super Singles and Super Doubles I've only gone to 50 battles not really trying to go any farther.

I went through Singles with pretty much anything I could raise at the time. Some of the better teams included Ash-Greninja, Alakazam, Nihilego, Xurkitree, and Gyarados. After some initial trouble with Red I finally had a good team to defeat him.

Metagross @ Metagrossite
Clear Body -> Tough Claws
Jolly
Max Attack and Max Speed
-Meteor Mash
-Zen Headbutt
-Bullet Punch
-Earthquake

Red's Venusaur has seriously wore me down before so I raised this Metagross to hard counter it. I led with this guy and was lucky enough to go up against his Mega Venusaur. Took it down to just enough for it to throw up a Substitute and have like 1 HP remaining. After that just Zen Headbutt until we win. It almost happened too since Metagross got to take down Red's Blastoise. Not sure why he didn't sent out Charizard after Venusaur went down.

Mimikyu @ Ghostium Z
Disguise
Adamant
Max Attack and Max Speed
-Swords Dance
-Play Rough
-Shadow Sneak
-Shadow Claw

I've been using Mimikyu in Singles the whole time so I decided to have it face against Charizard. Mega Charizard or not I would hit it with Neverending Nightmare and then clean up with Shadow Sneak. Pretty much what happened.

Kartana @ Focus Sash
Beast Boost
Jolly
Max Attack Max Speed
-Swords Dance
-Leaf Blade
-Smart Strike
-Sacred Sword

This was my option for Blastoise, Lapras, and Snorlax. Mega Metagross took down Blastoise on its own so this guys didn't get to see any action.

In Super Doubles I ran a few personally made teams until I decided to use a team from the Smogon Battle Tree thread. I don't really remember the battle against Blue since he was easier than a lot of the battles leading up to him.

Tapu Koko @ Life Orb
Electric Surge
Timid
Max Special Attack and Max Speed
- Volt Switch
- Dazzling Gleam
- Thunder
- Protect

The usual plan is to Volt Switch into Pelipper.

Alolan Raichu @ Focus Sash
Surge Surfer
Modest
188 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 60 Spe
- Fake Out
- Thunderbolt
- Psychic
- Grass Knot

Fake Out the first turn and then attack with power boosted Thunderbolts. The Speed IVs are just enough to outspeed everything when Electric Terrain is up.

Pelipper @ Electric Seed
Drizzle
Modest
140 HP / 4 Def / 132 SpA / 4 SpD / 228 Spe
- Scald
- Hurricane
- Protect
- Tailwind

Electric Seed will boost Pelipper's Defense even though it doesn't touch the ground. Scald and Hurricane are of course its most used moves. Tailwind almost never sees any use but it helped like once I think.

Kartana @ Steelium Z
Beast Boost
Jolly
Max Attack and Max Speed
- Leaf Blade
- Smart Strike
- Sacred Sword
- Protect

Pretty much to clean up with very powerful moves.

It's been pretty experimental with Super Multi I haven't seen any team that I could reliably take from. I've only scouted the important characters which surprisingly many guides don't use in favor of standard trainers. I started with Wally's team of Magnezone and Garchomp with I tried partnering with Pokemon like Tapu Bulu, Araquanid, and Mega Alakazam. Later I was able to scout Kiawe with Mega Kangaskhan and Marowak which I've had better luck with. So far the only set team member I have with this is Togekiss but I've also used Porygon-Z, Aegislash, and Mega Salamance . Now I'm planning on using Mega Lucario.

Togekiss @ Leftovers
Serene Grace
Timid
Max HP and Max Speed
-Thunder Wave
-Air Slash
-Follow Me
-Encore

Typical Paraflinching tactic. Her primary role is to support Mega Kangaskhan so that she has a lot of time to smash. Leftovers and full HP investment so she can live as long as possible and max Speed to get Thunder Wave off on a lot of things (I think she's only around half way or a little more in the Speed rankings). Even with no offensive investment Togekiss can do decent damage with Air Slash and has knocked out quite a few Pokemon with x2 weaknesses to Flying. Follow Me is to draw in Fighting-type attacks and other moves that would cripple or knock out Mega Kangaskhan. Encore doesn't do much often but sometimes I'll see a use for it.

Salamence @ Salamencite
Intimidate -> Aerialate
Jolly
Max Attack and Max Speed
-Substitute
-Roost
-Return
-Dragon Dance

This set can easily set up Substitutes and Dragon Dances against already worn down opponents and then hit back hard.

Porygon-Z and Aegislash are the standard sets you see these days (Z-Conversion and Ghostium-Z) while Mega Salamence is a setup set as explained above. I used the first two mostly because they were Special Attackers that were already made and the last one because it was a powerful Pokemon with an interesting set that was also already made. I'm not really sure how to handle Kiawe's Alolan Marowak so I've just been using whatever might work. I benched Porygon-Z because it's better suited for Singles. I benched Aegislash because it shares three weaknesses with Alolan Marowak. Mega Salamance has taken me far but I don't like that it's a physical attacker and that it makes three Pokemon on my side weak to Rock Slide. My next plan is to try out Mega Lucario even though it also shares a weakness with Alolan Marowak because resists Rock-types, has some good priority moves, and has some powerful special attacks.

Any good scouting recommendations? I'm failing Super Multi because the AI partners just love to lose at 30-ish battles. Apparently someone designed AI Garchomps to carry Sandstorm and they just love to setup when the opponent is going to kill them on the next turn.

Colress seems to be a good all-rounder because he's got a Porygon2 with Eviolite. I'm trying to re-scout him with something else other than Magnezone. Maybe Mega Metagross?

Hey guys! Apologies, this comment won't be the most useful for others, but I needed somewhere to mention reaching 20 wins in Double Battles - it's a pretty big deal for me as I'm not a competitive battler but damn do I want ribbons for my Pokémon haha!

I wanted to reach 20 wins with 4 of my 6 favourite Pokémon. The winning team ended up being Stoutland, Komala, Dragonite and Gengar.

I'm going to try Single battles now although with that team I imagine it being even harder than Doubles was. I'm not sure I'll ever try Super Battles to be honest... seems excruciating most of the time?

Gonna tell my story here. Might as well, right?
I started with Doubles, because I freaking love Double battles. It was where I started with the amazing strategy of Z-Splash Gyarados + Follow Me Togekiss. They were the first semi-competitive Pokémon I had bred, so I was happy.
Semi-competitive because I hadn't got the hang of breeding yet, so they weren't even 5IVs :p
I haven't gone out of my way much to go into the Super tooooo much. Played around to up to around 20 streak on Super Doubles, and with my own teams I've gone up to 33 on Super Single. I just play on the Tree to get the BP I need for something, then go out and actually have fun battling e.e
However, I did actually beat a 50 Streak on Super Single, with a rental team. While I was satisfied on getting the stamp, I was actually looking to get the Ribbon for doing said streak with my Type: Bronze, as it is only necessary to beat Red/Blue with x Pokémon, not actually do all 50 battles.
The rental team I used was the one Collector Togami created to simply beat the Battle Tree. It's not a fun team, it also takes a long time. However, if you play the team correctly, it's pretty hard to lose. I did 30 battles with this team, finishing the 50-streak, but it took me 3 hours for that. Basically, Entrainment with the Truant Durant, switch to Speed Boost Scolipe, Swords Dance+Protect until you are +6 on everything (or less, if you think you can do it without that much. Spoilers: you can), then Baton Pass onto Mega Kangaskhan. It's hard to lose, and it's hard for anything to survive that Mega Kangaskhan, even with it's nerf.
Yesterday, I did try to play around on Multi Battles. Outside of a bit of playing around with my friend on another save file, I hadn't done anything. Luckily, however, I did scout Wally with Mega Garchomp, and he also has the option for Mega Altaria. I doubt he will ever Mega evolve him, he always starts Mega evolving Garchomp. It's a nice fit with my Tyranitar, summoning up the Sand Stream. I had been using him with a Choice Band, though I'm considering switching out with the super common item to be used: Air Ballon!
Wally is courteous enough not to super effective me with his Earthquake. So, possibly, if I just float over the Earthquake, he will do some more fun stuff with Earthquake 8D.
Also, after that Tyranitar, I've been using Mega Mawile, just 'cause yes. Looked like a nice fit, as it doesn't get hurt from sandstorm. Same goes for Mega Metagross, but eh, I use Mega Metagross all the time, let's shake it up.
Edit: I forgot to show off Type: Bronze. How dumb of me.

Last edited:
I play multi mostly, with my friend. We don't go super competitively but we have done well with some random Pokémon we both like using. I don't actually remember the exact number in super multi that we've gotten to, I'll probably edit this later when I find out.

Anyway, I also do some super doubles by myself, much better at it than singles. The best I've gotten was 48 wins. I was using drizzle pelipper with a lightningrod plusle (that's right folks, plusle). Then I had kartana and... oh man, I don't even remember who the 4th was. Anyway, I wasn't super happy about using kartana, I kinda don't like using legendaries or OP meta-mons. Oh, 4th was probably Bruxish, now that I think about it.

But yeah, so at that point in my run they were throwing legendaries at me. The winning legendary team in battle 49 was all electric legendaries, probably spawned due to my 2 water types. Well, normally that's ok because of plusle, but the little guy was unlucky in the first few turns and once his lightingrod was gone, zapdos and raikou were able to have their way with the others.

I doubt I'll ever get to that point again.

Oh yeah, I posted this in the Questions thread, but I'll post a summary of a fun Battle Tree fact here:

In Multis, if you already got up to the 19th streak in Regulars, the first battle you have right after teaming up with a friend is against the Battle Legends, regardless of the friend's streak. If you win, the friend will have Super Multi unlocked. I tested this with @Mintaka who had no streaks in Multi. Super Multi is yet to be tested.

And I'd really love it if they just turned off the battle animations for Super Multi when teaming up with a real life friend if both players have their battle animations off. It's really tiring to sit through the blasts and booms and the Z-moves take up a lot of time.

Wouldn't the hardest thing Sun and Moon offer be the Battle Royal or the Zygarde Cell quest without a guide?

I haven't tried the Battle Tree as much. Probably need an EV-trained team for it though.

Battle Royal is quite easy, when you get the jist of things. You just gotta survive long enough to kill steal a fair bunch. And also, not be the target, by using really strong Pokémon. Instead, you must use strong Pokémon that may not look like it's strong. A.k.a. Swords Dance Mimikyu is the best way to win.

Now, new post. Me and my friend just finished the Super Multi Battle... Somehow, for some reason.
The team was a silly idea. I'd use 2 steel types, and my friend would use a Pokémon with Sludge Wave. There are three that stood out: Halloween Gengar, Goodra and Thundurus.
We did not have Halloween Gengar, my friend tried to SR a shiny Thundurus to use it, but couldn't in time... And then Goodra, which I was breeding anyway.
The team ended up being: I had a monotype Steel with Jolly Kartana with Focus Sash, with the set that every Kartana ever uses, and Mega Mawile, with Thunderfang, Sucker Punch, Iron Head and Play Rough. My friend had: Bold Goodra with Leftovers (Weakness Policy would probally be better), with Sludge Wave, Dragon Pulse, Acid Armor and Protect, (252 HP and 252 Sp Atk), and his Mega Charizard X, Adamant with Dragon Claw, Dragon Dance, Flare Blitz and Roost, 252 Atk and 252 Speed.
So yeah, we both ended up doing a monotype team each. Somehow, we did it, with a few problems, mainly with a lack on beating Fire type, that the Tree was throwing non-stop.
Sincerely, we were dumbfounded that we managed to beat the first battle :p

I got past 90 battles in Super Doubles, with my record at 114, but it sure as hell wasn't easy. It felt like every single battle after 50 was a nail-biter and could have gone either way. I was also never able to get anywhere near my record streak again, much less beat it. I normally cap out at 40 battles, 50 being maximum. Past 90 was me getting unbelievably lucky. I used a weather team consisting of Mega Charizard Y, Manectric, Gengar, and Stoutland. The game loves to throw Rock-types with the Sturdy ability or durable Hail-teams at me because it somehow knows what I have to counter them. :rolleyes: Silly game.

I haven't even tried battling in Super Multi or Super Singles even though the options are there. I guess I just love double battles a lot more.

*sigh* I am never partnering with Cynthia. Ever. Again. She deliberately lost a battle by NOT USING Earthquake when the opponents were weak to Ground... a Kanto Ninetales and a Probopass. INSTEAD she chooses to lock her Garchomp into using Fire Fang onto the Probopass.

Wally had his trolling days but Cynthia is the worst by deliberately refusing to use a super effective move. I am utterly disgusted with the AI for her.

Hey guys, I'm doing a research: How long does it take to beat all Battle Tree categories (I mean, get all the stamps)? 3 hours for each category, would it be a good average? What do you think? (It's gameplay time, not real time)

Thanks in advance.

Also, here's, if you can help with any more information it would be very good:

Pokémon Gameplay Time - Topic

Last edited:
I took 3 hours doing battles 30-50 by using a slow team, but effective. That would of taken me about 7 hours, more or less, to do everything. However, it's more likely that it would of taken only about 5 hours, 1 hour for 10 battles each.
That was what took me and my friend to do the Super Multi Battle one, more or less. We need 2 three hours streams to finish them, though the very beginning was filled with the last few battles from Normal Multi Battle.
And for Super Doubles, that was also correct: 1 hour for 10 battles. Though I can't quite confirm that it takes that long specifically, I ended losing on battle 36 :p

Hey guys, I'm doing a research: How long does it take to beat all Battle Tree categories (I mean, get all the stamps)? 3 hours for each category, would it be a good average? What do you think? (It's gameplay time, not real time)

Thanks in advance.

Also, here's, if you can help with any more information it would be very good:

Pokémon Gameplay Time - Topic

I wish it was only a couple hours. Even with the most optimized team possible I feel there's still no guarantee of a good average time. The number of battles required to meet the goal means that there is little room for error. One bad turn and you'll probably have to start all the way from the beginning again. It's really bad in Multi where you have to rely on an AI partner. I've been at it for weeks and I still haven't managed to beat it for the final Battle Tree Stamp.

If you're just looking for the best time possible, which means every play was good, then I'm not entirely sure since it really depends on what kind of team that would be. I'd say look at sites where there are a lot more people here discussing their Battle Tree runs, such as on Smogon. You should be able to get a better average there.

I wish it was only a couple hours. Even with the most optimized team possible I feel there's still no guarantee of a good average time. The number of battles required to meet the goal means that there is little room for error. One bad turn and you'll probably have to start all the way from the beginning again. It's really bad in Multi where you have to rely on an AI partner. I've been at it for weeks and I still haven't managed to beat it for the final Battle Tree Stamp.

If you're just looking for the best time possible, which means every play was good, then I'm not entirely sure since it really depends on what kind of team that would be. I'd say look at sites where there are a lot more people here discussing their Battle Tree runs, such as on Smogon. You should be able to get a better average there.

Thank you for the advice. And really, it is very difficult to find an average time for the Facilities because it depends a lot on luck, as you said. But in the case of Battle Tree, I also got feedback from other places, and 15 hours seemed like a reasonable time to me to get the stamps, the majority of the players answered this.

In the case of other facilities, that are longer to "beat", such as Battle Frontier, is much more difficult, because it varies much more, but I will not extend much about this here, after all the topic is about Battle Tree.

In the Battle Tree case this was the most common response, although there may be variations as you said.Anway, thank you for the advice again, I'll try to re-evaluate it now.

It would be nice if more people gave their opinions and experiences, but the fan base as a whole, not only here, didn't seem very keen to help in this, there were few who helped.

Either they didn't play the game, or they simply prefer to keep making their empty assumptions and complaints about it (like "XY and ORAS has no post game").

Last edited:
I haven't seriously played the Battle Tree in several months. When I did though, I would have a streak ranging from 20-35ish in Super Singles and Doubles until the computer crafted a team to specifically counter mine, horribly.

The hax is real with this one and makes attempting it discouraging.

Alright, rant time (TLDR at bottom).

This time I'm not as annoyed at the AI as much as at myself. All of my Battle Tree teams feature a core of Choice Band Tapu Bulu with Bloom Doom Heatran. The type synergy between the pair is astounding, especially when I lead with Bulu to set grassy terrain for Heatran, and Heatran could switch into any attack aimed at Bulu. However, I had great difficulty finding a third member to support the core and clean up after the pair broke the other team in half.

I tried Mega Sharpedo for a bit, but I ended up losing too often to Toxicroak and/or Accelgor. I then tried Mega Metagross, but then there were suddenly sun teams everywhere. I tried Mega Alakazam, but he just couldn't get the KOs I needed. Finally I settled on Mega Blastoise. Its pure water typing was a great addition, rounding off a nice FWG balance with no shared weaknesses, and its great natural bulk allowed me to tank hits and fire Mega Launcher-boosted coverage back. I felt like I had finally found a great team that would be difficult to counter-team.

On my first run with Blastoise, I got to round 17 before I got swept by a Gengar with Hypnosis / Dream Eater / Nightmare / Shadow Ball. Hypnosis hit 4 times out of 4 (Heatran woke up once and managed to land an Earth Power, but of course Gengar had a Focus Sash) and I lost. That was annoying. (Hypnosis has a 60% accuracy rate. That's a 12.9% chance to land 4 times in a row.)

But that's not why I'm annoyed. I'm actually rather annoyed at myself because on the next run, I only ran into one sleep user, and Hypnosis actually missed once. I made it to round 47, in spite of winning some matches purely due to RNG. In round 42, the opposing Mega Metagross missed Zen Headbutt, only for Dark Pulse to get a low roll and fail to OHKO. Had Zen Headbutt landed the first time, Blastoise would have been 2HKOed and I almost surely would have been swept.

Anyway, on round 47, my opponent leads with Manectric against my Tapu Bulu. I know there is a chance that Manectric will mega evolve, intimidating my Tapu Bulu, and I also know that it is almost guaranteed to use Overheat or Flamethrower. Obviously the safe play is to go into Heatran. Nope. I click Wood Hammer. I get highly fortunate, and Overheat misses, while Wood Hammer proceeds to OHKO. Next out is Rotom-Heat. I'm expecting a fire STAB move this time, and really should switch to Heatran. Nope. My thought process was "I wonder if Wood Hammer can OHKO this". I forgot that Rotom is a bulky little bastard, and here comes the Inferno Overdrive (probably overkill tho). Bulu is kill, and Blastoise revenges with Hydro Pump.

His last Pokemon is Thundurus. Shit. It clicks Thunderbolt. Blastoise is kill. Out comes Heatran, who somehow has not been in the battle yet. Thunderbolt does 75% to Heatran. It's using Choice Specs. Double shit. If I had switched to Heatran early and preserved Bulu, I would be going "gg ez" onto the next battle. But nope. Thunderbolt 2HKOes and now I'm mad at myself for making 2 horrible plays in a row and throwing the battle.

TL;DR: I finally make a good Battle Tree team, come within touching distance of the Super Singles stamp, and get punished not by AI counter-teaming but by making 2 horrendous plays in a row to throw the match. /rant

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom