• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Ultra Sun And Ultra Moon Will Be The Last Pokemon RPGS For 3DS

How do you feel about the Pokémon main series ending on the DS platform?

• I'm fine with the choice and looking forward to continuing this on the Switch

• I prefer the main series to stay on handheld platforms like the DS

• I'm indifferent and fine with either option

• I feel a different way that isn't represented on this poll

Results are only viewable after voting.
The 3DS' situations was also different as it was a major increase in price over the DS and didn't have a lot of games its first year. There's no real need to do the same for the Switch since it's console scale hardware that's more worth the price and it has a much stronger first year lineup. At best I could see them dropping it to $250, maybe having a $200 budget model, but I can't see it dropping nearly as much.

That's a good point - and yet there's even more to it than that: Before the switch reveal, I remember the heads of Nintendo saying that unlike their other consoles, like the Wii U, they wanted to make sure they sold their newest one for an actual profit at launch. The fact that they are doing it at a price like this is quite amazing in my eyes.

Who knows, though: So to sell Pokemon for the switch, they could pull a '2DS situation' with the switch - where they market the games to children by making a budget model targeted to them... Not that I'd mind that! ^.^

It's 300 dollars everywhere

I mean south America and Mexico it's like 500+

Canada and Australia it's 399 plus with tax

We've known this since June. Having a game released between USUM and SwitchRPG was unlikely, and SwitchRPG being released in 2 consoles even more.

We will have to change our way of playing, because of the single screen, the motion controls, the optional use of a TV...but it may be worth it if they understand what the console is about, and they did it well with RS and XY, and more or less well with DP.

I'll try to buy a Switch by mid-2018, hopefully it will have a lower price then.

Um... I didn't even need them to say this. It was clear as day when they announced that a mainline Pokemon title was in development for the Switch.

I'm really indifferent to it. Sure, I don't have a Switch, but Pokemon also has to kind of redeem itself after Generation VII for me to get really excited for it again.

The only real downside here is that with the Switch comes paid online service. Yuck.

What do you mean? You have to pay for something to play the Switch?

In order to play games online you will have to start paying a fee eventually, just like for Playstation and Xbox nowadays.

Like I have money for that.

I know it won't be for a while, so I'm not too concerned, but...
What is the size comparison between the 3DS and the mobile part of the Switch? One thing I really liked about the 3DS was that I could fit it into coat pockets, and thus easily take it anywhere (as opposed to by laptop, which I can take anywhere, but need to also bring my backpack to carry it in, while the 3DS is an "oh, yeah, I'll also take this as I'm leaving" kind-of-size).
And I've never owned a console before; spending $300 for a system I'd be using for one game? Big mental block there. But then, it will likely be cheaper by then, and finally actually having a gaming console may lead me to getting into other games later...

On the other hand, seeing a base Pokemon game on a much bigger screen would be awesome, assuming the gameplay doesn't morph dramatically.

What do you mean? You have to pay for something to play the Switch?

Starting next year the Switch will require a $20/year subscription to play online. So if you wanted to say, use the GTS or battle online you would need to pay an extra fee, but you can still play the main game normally.

Starting next year the Switch will require a $20/year subscription to play online. So if you wanted to say, use the GTS or battle online you would need to pay an extra fee, but you can still play the main game normally.
I don't think game freak gonna let kids pay for trade and battles, maybe it will be a few months free and than pay.

I don't think game freak gonna let kids pay for trade and battles, maybe it will be a few months free and than pay.

That's not Game Freak's decision to make. Nintendo's the one who controls the online system, if they decide they want paid online Game Freak has to go along with it.

That's not Game Freak's decision to make. Nintendo's the one who controls the online system, if they decide they want paid online Game Freak has to go along with it.
I am starting to think with how successful Switch is and how used to free online the consumer base is, that Nintendo is going to only offer payed subscriptions as a premium service. They are way too silent about paid online, dropping it out of nowhere when its already forgotten by most people is going to bite them in the ass.

I am starting to think with how successful Switch is and how used to free online the consumer base is, that Nintendo is going to only offer payed subscriptions as a premium service. They are way too silent about paid online, dropping it out of nowhere when its already forgotten by most people is going to bite them in the ass.

Well they're supposedly in the process of rolling out online features over the course of the first year. The Switch's current online is basically a glorified beta test, that's why they haven't started charging people.

I'm actually grateful for the games we had on the 3DS (or 2DS in my case). I feel like a lot of progress has been made with Gen 6 and 7, which I hope will be carried in future Gens.
It was only a matter of time until we moved on to the Switch, but I really hope there will actually be a way to transfer Pokemon onto it, because I just can't imagine the anger from not being able to do so.
Also, I'm really skeptical about the prospect of paying just to be able to trade/battle with others.It's one thing to monetize a feature that's not necessary to have a 100% completion (like say Master Mode or Trial of Sword in Breath of the Wild, those you can live without). But trading and battling with other players are essential features of the game. I don't think Nintendo will slap a price tag just to act like a second ISP.

Well they're supposedly in the process of rolling out online features over the course of the first year. The Switch's current online is basically a glorified beta test, that's why they haven't started charging people.
Right but their last mention of a subscription was in August, so its well out of everyone's mind. By the next mention it will definitely come as a shock.

The Switch screen without the Joy-Cons is about the same size as a new 3DS XL.

You can't play without the Joy-Cons though I assume? So even if you can carry the screen with you in your pocket, you still need to carry around the Joy-Cons with you somehow too, which is a pain imo.

And if you want to play on the train you can't quickly fold the screens to hide what you're playing, which is important to me :p

You can't play without the Joy-Cons though I assume? So even if you can carry the screen with you in your pocket, you still need to carry around the Joy-Cons with you somehow too, which is a pain imo.

And if you want to play on the train you can't quickly fold the screens to hide what you're playing, which is important to me :p

That's true. I was just providing the size comparison asked in the post I quoted :).
More size comparisons are a google search away for those more curious.

Speaking for myself, I like the Switch aesthetic much more than the 3DS one (though it was improving with each variation. I was tempted to get a New 2DS XL since it looked so good), and I generally prefer larger screens, so I like the Switch as my go to console. I love how it can seamlessly change from handheld to console for family and personal experiences. But I haven’t got any specific issues with the 3DS, just that the Switch outclasses it greatly imo.
Since I'm used to carrying an iPad mini around, I don’t have any concern for size.

USUM reminded me of B2W2 so much that I thought it was fairly obvious that they're the last 3DS games.

i mean i felt it was pretty obvious given that Nintendo has been kinda quietly sunsetting the 3DS to push the Switch on top of the fact that despite all the avenues available to follow SM, they went with a generic third version. which makes sense: it's a low-effort version that is also low-risk. they can focus on adding time-buying-for-the-Switch-version features rather than having to make a good game from the ground (or most of the ground) up.

Back
Top Bottom