• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review SM050: Sauboh's Counterattack! The Kidnapped Hoshigumo!!

My God the emotional whiplash is so much that I'm sure I've cricked my neck!
(In a good way.)
(Not that there's a good way to crick your neck, but you know what I mean.)

Let me start with my sole criticism. I have given the school a very long leash and so far been notably uncritical but today's lesson was the end for me - skipping rope?! Wtf did Kukui think they would learn from that?! This setup has become an utter farce at this point and if Headmaster Ookido can't rework the curriculum (fast), it needs to die.

Sauboh proved in multiple ways that he is no more frightening than the TRio. His magical girl henshin was every bit as amazing as I had hoped! The one interesting point may be why he cared so much to make Lusamine's dream a reality, if this is addressed down the line. The light stuff at the beginning peaked with Sonansu's little stunt.

Everything from the Aether Paradise entrance was just SO DAMN INTENSE. JellyBeast is actually quite sinister, although not as much as Lusamine's smile when it showed up! What happened to Pixy? Did it just get vaporised? Is it dead? Nice to see Satoshi take a bit of a backseat, although him tackling Sauboh was extremely satisfying.

I loved this episode. I'm gonna to give this a more detailed review later after I watched it with subs.

I have to say that I hate the word "filler" when people are talking about episodes or shows. People don't know how to use the word or if its valid for what they're saying. It has such a bad connotation nowadays with fans.

The episode was so full of emotion and development. Episodes like these are reasons why this series has lasted so long.

There were many great scenes here. Every Lusamine scene deserves an applause. Her eyes when she sees the ultra beast is amazing. She creeped me out for a moment.

Satoshi being extra while jump roping was so him! Lol.

The magical girl moment with Faba was amazing. Since his net looked like a magical girl wand, they totally made a magical reference with how extra he was with it.

As the episode went on, I couldn't help but think to myself that I hope Satoshi's mother comes back soon. We kind of need a foil for the development going on.

I can't wait for the subs. For now, I'll end the review right now with how much I enjoyed it. I really did love this episode.

Half of the episode was literally filler. Is that their new formula, half filler/half plot?
Apparently Faba is the new Team Rocket.
Lusamine, where is the rest your personnel?
Hey, remember when people was complaining about how serious and dark and edgy XY was, and they like SM because it's not like that...

People complained about XY being "serious"?

I loved this episode. I'm gonna to give this a more detailed review later after I watched it with subs.

I have to say that I hate the word "filler" when people are talking about episodes or shows. People don't know how to use the word or if its valid for what they're saying. It has such a bad connotation nowadays with fans.

The episode was so full of emotion and development. Episodes like these are reasons why this series has lasted so long.

There were many great scenes here. Every Lusamine scene deserves an applause. Her eyes when she sees the ultra beast is amazing. She creeped me out for a moment.

Satoshi being extra while jump roping was so him! Lol.

The magical girl moment with Faba was amazing. Since his net looked like a magical girl wand, they totally made a magical reference with how extra he was with it.

As the episode went on, I couldn't help but think to myself that I hope Satoshi's mother comes back soon. We kind of need a foil for the development going on.

I can't wait for the subs. For now, I'll end the review right now with how much I enjoyed it. I really did love this episode.

Sorry for the flood of comments, but you said something that bothers me a lot too.
Only what I see is people speaking in filler as if pokémon was an anime like naruto (for example). If it were to count only episodes with real progression in pokemon, surely we would be far from the episode 1000.
A curiosity in SM is that the number of fillers in the Anime filler list is smaller than the other series in the mark of 50 episodes.

The Flare arc was probably one of my favorite parts of XY and so I'm glad this episode gave me similar vibes. I thought the scene where Lusamine was taken hostage by an Ultra Beast was done perfectly-- the way the music as well as the UB's haunting cry got louder and louder and then total silence, it was super effective. And what's with Lusamine's creepy smile? I knew there was more to her character than we've seen so far-- what exactly that is we still have yet to see.

Also that Sonansu gag was probably one of the few times I've laughed at his gags in years, good job SM.

And what's with Lusamine's creepy smile? I knew there was more to her character than we've seen so far-- what exactly that is we still have yet to see.
It's her dream to see UBs. That's why the whole project started in the first place.

Last edited:
Also, what was up with Ash's running style when Lillie called him over to see Rowlet and Nebby? That was pretty funny and weird. Maybe he was just caught up in the excitement of Lillie now being able to touch any kind of Pokemon.

Have you guys noticed that Mallow and the other classmates met Lillie's brother for the first time here? I know it's weird, but they never met Gladion before unless they heard rumors about him and his Lycanroc.

Lusamine-san, why'd you have to look so at peace by being taken away by Nihilego?
Considering her children in the anime are nothing but spoiled brats who trust more on local creep's word than hers, and acting like jerks because of some trivial things...I really don't blame her to be happy there.

Have you guys noticed that Mallow and the other classmates met Lillie's brother for the first time here? I know it's weird, but they never met Gladion before unless they heard rumors about him and his Lycanroc.
I think Ash mentioned them his Lycanroc once in the past, but that was from the word about it spreading around island. This time, there isn't the right time yo go meet each other since Nebby just been kidnapped, and Ash and Lillie are in the hurry to go with Gladion.

I wonder why none of them decided to go and help though. Not even Kukui.

Edit: OMG THE FORUMS LOOK AMAZING

There is no way Lusamine is evil in this plot. If anything, she'll be corrupted from Nihelego's toxins against her will which will result in in that creep fusion of the two.
The preview at the end also made me stoked for next episode too!
Also, FABA NEEDS TO BE THROWN INTO ULTRA SPACE AND LEFT THERE TO ROT :mad::mad:

I wonder why none of them decided to go and help though. Not even Kukui.
He probably wasn't aware of how dire the situation would turn out to be. I'm assuming he'd think gladion, ash, and lillie could handle it since he probably didn't want to also put anyone else in danger during school hours under his watch.

Considering her children in the anime are nothing but spoiled brats who trust more on local creep's word than hers, and acting like jerks because of some trivial things...I really don't blame her to be happy there.
Her children are nothing like that. They're the nice ones, not the ones to smile at a Pokemon that once caused her child pain.

You know, I'm sure Lusamine will get poisoned, lose her mind at this point and the worst scenario, she will get possessed and transformed into tentacled monster. Plus editing is disabled due to the release of Pokemon Ultra Sun and Moon. I don't know if this is going to be over by December.

Also, I'd like to give a shout out to whoever did the jumprope scenes, it must have been hared to do. Iwane commented on that on twitter.

You know, I'm sure Lusamine will get poisoned, lose her mind at this point and the worst scenario, she will get possessed and transformed into tentacled monster. Plus editing is disabled due to the release of Pokemon Ultra Sun and Moon. I don't know if this is going to be over by December.

I got one theory of how they will handle the US/UM plot in the anime. (Knowing Nihilego, Lusamine going nuts and turning into mother beast is all but guerenteed!)

Post Nihilego the cast end up having a bad vib against most Ultra Beast as a whole due to how much grief Nihilego gave the three important characters. (Ash, Lillie and Gladion. Fact that in US/ UM... Lusamine actually HATES the wormholes... which should do something)

Then we get a plot involving Poipole. One of the few Ultra Beast that isn't hostile to everything around it or a major threat in comparison to Nihilego. (In its own dimension Poipole is a starter pokemon. That should be a good idea of how different it is in comparison to something like Nihilego... even if they are both poison types,)

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom