• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

WORLDBUILDING: Artemis's wonderful world building thread: Advise Me!

BackSet

You Could Use Some Imagination
Reaction score
hey guys. I'm not sure if this is allowed or not but this is basically a place for me to dump my world building info and you guys to judge it and tell me what I'm doing wrong and what I'm doing right. Right then, let's get started. Here are some of the main points I have so far:

• This is a Pokemon world.
  • There are two international governments in the world: the Pokemon League (league for short) and the Ranger Union (Union for short). Any regions not under the league or the union are self governed (unless I'm forgetting something).
  • The Pokemon League does not, in fact, select members through battling but through democratic elections as battling is a very impracticle way to choose members of a governing body.
  • The ranger Union has very strict laws relating to Pokemon training and battling, allowing only Pokemon rangers to use Pokemon and even then only until with the capture top which times out if a Pokemon is under its control for too long. This has often put it at odds with the Pokemon league who have incorporated training and battling into they're culture.
  • There was a world war in the past between the ranger Union and the Pokemon league which resulted in the union giving the league some of their territory and orre being in the lawless state it's in today.
  • Interpol is a much shadier organization than in Pokemon canon and has a hand in a good number of events. They also keep valuable things that would be important for the Pokemon world to know secret.
  • There are a few Interpol agents, looker among them, who are having second thoughts about having joined Interpol. However, attempting to retire with Interpol secrets will result in death.
So, what do you think?

The first thing that stands out to me here is the supposed use of the capture top, which I don't think is a mechanic that would translate well to fanfic. Not sure how you'd utilize it to make it seem viable, but I think even in anime where you can get away with things like that, it wouldn't work that well or be interesting enough to WANT to make it work. I'd also be interested to know what exactly makes up the Pokemon League if it's important in your fic. There might be democratic elections, but what exactly are people voting for? Champion? What rights does the champion or whatever title have? What other bodies of the League are there? I always imagined various types of jobs you could have when employed by the League - a route inspector to keep things safe for young traveling trainers, a gym leader strategist who helps gym leaders make sure they challenge fairly and in a what that helps trainers learn, etc.

As a side note, the mods just happened to have made a worldbuilding article this month that might help you with the politics stuff as well as other things you might not have thought about yet. :D Good luck!

I'd also be interested to know what exactly makes up the Pokemon League if it's important in your fic. There might be democratic elections, but what exactly are people voting for? Champion? What rights does the champion or whatever title have? What other bodies of the League are there? I always imagined various types of jobs you could have when employed by the League - a route inspector to keep things safe for young traveling trainers, a gym leader strategist who helps gym leaders make sure they challenge fairly and in a what that helps trainers learn, etc.
I actually have a bit of that done. I do have a basic heiarchy sort of thing that is t too in depth yet but i think it's a rather good start. So basically it goes like this.

• Champion
    • Elite four (advisors for champion)
      • Gym leader (advisors for elite four. Two gym leader advisors per elite four member.)
    • Regional professor
The champion and elite four are democratically elected and the gym leaders are personally hired by the elite four. The regional professor is hired by the champion.

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom