• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Spoilers What do you NOT like about USUM?

My problem is that it's not very different from S/M, and I'm not sure if it was worth my $40 yet. I feel there's something missing, maybe it's because I had my hypes too high.

Mallow's trail. Like... was that supposed to be an improvement somehow? The one in SuMo was more fun imo, using Stoutland to explore the area yourself. Now Mallow literally takes you everywhere and all you have to do is pick a bush/tree. That was extremely underwhelming. Though I kinda liked the Sudowoodo part which was more of a puzzle, the rest looked like pure guesswork.

Still forever disappointed they didn't do more with the trials, and then this happens when they have an actual chance to improve it -_-

Totally agreed. Same with Lana's trial. Mallow's was shortened and took away all the exploration, as you mentioned. Then Lana, instead of being funny and quirky and trying to pull a trick on you is just like "Hi. This is my trial. Here's Lapras. Go defeat the wild Pokemon and the Totem will appear for battle. See you soon."

Rotomdex. Will not. Shut up.

Yeah I know my pokemon need healing why do you think I'm going to the pokemon center? Give me a minute I'm not wasting a potion when the center is literally right there. I don't need hints I didn't ask for. Ugh why do you look sad again. UGH. Also you've asked to call me Roto-L twice now. Pick a different nickname or let me give myself one.

Cut dialogues popping up by like 70% and it'd be tolerable.

So fucking true. I loved the Rotom changes for the first couple hours, but it quickly got very annoying. Reminds me of Fi in Zelda: Skyward Sword.

I just learned that the old ultra beast exclusives remain. WHY. WHY DO YOU GIVE THEM SHINIES LEGAL YET YOU KEEP THE EXCLUSIVES.

Out of ALL previous games these ones really hit hard with "exclusives" and people still scratch their heads going "ah just trade or buy both" it won't have my name on it, can't nickname, and I refuse to spend another 40 bucks on sun and moon again.

Just go back to only one third game. Just so we don't have to deal with this anymore. WHY.

Personally, I was surprised with how generous it is. It's far more generous with BP than any facility up to Gen 6/7. I've been getting like 9 BP for every Surf. More than enough imo.

Indeed it is, assuming you have the knack for it. But if you struggle and subsequently only get 2 BP per surf, then it can come across as a bit tedious.

But you're right. Though low, even 2 BP on average is more than what the Battle Royale would give.

I think the Ultra Recon Squad were very poorly inserted into the story. All they do is show up, talk, and maybe battle them. Or rather, you just battle Dulse - Zossie does jack shit. And it's really boring to battle them, because they just use a single Poipole that has no moves to counter Steel types. Poipole's moveset seems to be disappointing in every match, too, which makes the matches stand out after so many other characters improved their teams and movesets.

1. It's been mentioned like 80 times but yeah the storyline takes quite a while to become noticeably different, and while I think the changes are cool and have potential, they didn't go far enough. If they'd reached just a little deeper it could've been spectacular.
  2. Totem Lurantis still suuuuuuucks.
  3. ULTRA MEGALOPOLIS WAS AN ULTRA LETDOWN. What you do see is gorgeous, but they couldn't commit to at least letting us explore some buildings? I was at the very least content with everything EXCEPT this.
  4. The Rainbow Rocket adventure was a tad short.

God they even half-assed the credits a bit with just little dancing totem pokemon. No emotional pictures like the first game, like lillie holding evolved nebby before she lets you capture it. And the whole "party" at the end was changed just slightly but still the exact same. Couldn't be bothered to show my team off at the end but they can give hau following starter and many overworld sprites.

God they even half-assed the credits a bit with just little dancing totem pokemon. No emotional pictures like the first game, like lillie holding evolved nebby before she lets you capture it.

Well, the plot is, as a whole, less focused on Lillie’s journey this time, so it makes sense that the credits wouldn’t have the same reminiscent tone.

As it stands they’re a cute homage to the Johto games’ credits.

Well, the plot is, as a whole, less focused on Lillie’s journey this time, so it makes sense that the credits wouldn’t have the same reminiscent tone.

As it stands they’re a cute homage to the Johto games’ credits.

It was still about lillie's journey. Everything is the exact same on developing her character. The only changes they made in regards to that was going to get the flute with you, and alter scenes.

Feel like the first story in the originals were going to be intended for a sequel and then they got stomped by Nintendo with the switch, and so they hurried these third versions out.

Not saying the credits weren't cute, but compared to the bar the original game set the credits (actually emotionally compelling scenes and art of your friends and journey) to just dancing totems?

It was still about lillie's journey. Everything is the exact same on developing her character. The only changes they made in regards to that was going to get the flute with you, and alter scenes.

Obviously her development is still part of the story. Hau’s still is too (he even gets more fleshed out this time), as is Gladion’s, and Kukui’s and everyone else’s.Unfortunately, that stuff wasn’t going to change given the kind of game they were making, which is mostly a recycled SM.

But they did take several steps to reduce the emphasis of Lillie’s story within the overall tapestry. The removal of the Exeggutor Island scene and the Ultra Space confrontation, and the mostly happy ending for her family this time in which Lillie stays in Alola with a reformed Lusamine rather than going to Kanto to heal her, make it so that Lillie’s development is more on the side, more in the vein of standard rivals like Bianca and Cheren.

I noticed Lillie and Nebby far less in my first run through of US. I mean it's still fun "traveling" with her (she's an extra help healing my mon). Also, having a "co-traveller" makes the game feel more outcome focused rather than aimlessly wandering around level-grinding, collecting gym badges, taking on a crime syndicate, and then defeating the all high and mighty regional champion.

That said, I wish Alola actually had a champion TO BEAT. The whole "Alola's first champion" thing is kind of annoying. And if the Champion's chamber is MY chamber, then let me access it when I want to. Let me decorate it how I want to.

And this Rainbow Rocket episode is annoying.

That said, I wish Alola actually had a champion TO BEAT. The whole "Alola's first champion" thing is kind of annoying. And if the Champion's chamber is MY chamber, then let me access it when I want to. Let me decorate it how I want to.
yeah the inaugural champion thing was fun and cute the first time but having no champion is just....zzzz. it'd've been so easy to just make it someone like Kahili too.

Almost the same game, before people jump down your throat.

Yeah seriously. "Well why didn't you say anything before with third versions" is such an annoying and pointless statement. It's like saying to people who don't like lootcrate stores or dlc "Well why didn't you complain before" it just comes across as fanboyism defending these games from any critism yet they're indifferent to the quality of Pokemon games. The "nostalgia" game they pick up on a game shelf that they play once in awhile yet don't expect great things out of it besides feeding that nostalgia.

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom