• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Obsolete: The Writers Workshop Rulebook & Information Hub

Status
Not open for further replies.
Autocorrect can be a very weird thing at times. That's all I will say.

Another week, another newsletter!
Qjz8E3E.gif

Announcements
A couple of months ago, we asked for your input about the Writers' Workshop via a survey. Your feedback is valuable and is being considered; we're going over the reults carefully so that we can best implement the feedback we've received. Some things of note:
  • It seems that people want some smaller events that happen every few months. We're already working on ideas for this!
  • People love the seasonal awards, and there's plenty of ideas that you've all had that can be drawn from and expanded upon.
  • The Author of the Month is a popular feature, so expect it to continue. Who knows who'll be the next one? Maybe... you?
  • The same applies to our ongoing Workshop Academy series. I'll note here that anyone is free to contribute articles to this! So if you have an idea and are willing to write an article, get in touch with one of us moderators!
  • We've gotten some positive and neutral feedback on the archives. With some work, we can turn all of that into positive feedback, and it's something we're currently looking at.
  • The review league is one of our most popular threads with you guys! Thank you for keeping it going!
  • The weekly writing prompts were an area of concern for many of you. We're currently working on ways to improve them, as you may have seen recently!
  • It doesn't seem that many people are aware that we have a Twitter account. We're trying to be more proactive with it, stay tuned! (also check out that fantastic art collage we've got at the top of it, courtesy of our staff and community artists!)
  • Nearly every response we've gotten in relation to the social aspects of the Writers' Workshop has been positive. We're happy to see that you guys are enjoying your time here!
  • And lastly, you all seem to love these newsletters, so expect them to continue into the future!

New Releases
Just one new release this week, @Donna Baines ' The Wanderings of the Roving Mightyena

New Chapters
It's been quite a busy week! Let's look at what we have.

Word of the Week
Every now and then, we find a word that tickles us either as a reader or a writer. A broad vocabulary is important to both, so let's look at a word that is generously provided and explained to us by @Beth Pavell

pastiche (n.): A jumble; a pot-pourri; a composition (In literature, music or painting) made up of bits of other works or in imitation of another style [Chambers].

The idea of a pastiche is a familiar one to fanfiction, especially in Pokémon fanfic. Any story that blends ideas from the games, anime, or manga can be called a pastiche. Crossovers, too, are pastiche by definition. The lines between pastiche and affectionate parody can be blurry – a pastiche is in theory a respectful blend, but so is an affectionate parody, even if it is comedic.

Last edited:
ohUBzrb.gif

New Releases
We've got quite a few new releases to look at this week!

New Chapters

Word of the Week
Once again, @Beth Pavell brings us this installment of Word of the Week. Let's have a look!

máfan [麻烦] (n. or v.): trouble.

But that’s only a fraction of the story. Máfan is more like “I can’t be bothered, and it’s not my fault I can’t be bothered”. Máfan is an unreasonable level of trouble. Máfan implies that a selfish attitude is on someone else. Máfan is one of those words that demonstrates the concise elegance of Chinese, squashing a swell of resentful feeling down into two syllables.

Last edited:
Another week, another Pokémon .gif.
tumblr_ohit4oO7L81sr6y44o1_500.gif

Announcements
We've been hard at it this past month or so revising the Ratings Guide for the Workshop Rulebook. We're not far from having a finished version ready now, so keep an eye out for it. Nothing for anyone to worry about - one of our main concerns is to make the guide as clear as we can, especially being mindful of some of the questions we've had from authors. There'll be another, proper, announcement when the guide is updated.

New releases

Just one new release this week:

Brotherhood by @Gama

New chapters
Chapter 15 of PMD: Unequivocant by @lucarioknight56
Interview 10 of The Paxton & Joseph Show (Games) by @JFrombaugh
Interview 9 of The Paxton & Joseph Show (Anime) by @JFrombaugh
Chapter 4 of Love and Other Nightmares by @diamondpearl876
Chapter 8 of PMD: Guiding Light by @Ambyssin
Episodes 12b and 13a of Pokemon Shine Diamond by @LightningTopa
Week 365l of Live from the Fireside by @LightningTopaz
Chapters 2 through 5 of Ash and the Shadow of Orre by @Greninjaman
Chapter 8 of Project Toaster: Decolonized by @jasonwolf

Word of the Week
It’s all things rear this week (With a Kalosian connection) with a favourite word of mine:

callipygian (adj.): having well-shaped buttocks [Oxford English Dictionary].

What I love most about this word is how flexible it is. A callipygian bum could be almost any kind of bum, so long as it is beautiful in the eyes of the beholder. Big, small, pliant, round … callipygian is an egalitarian, body-positive word. This is another word from the Greek – kallos (“Beauty”) and pūge (“Buttocks”), and a reference to the statue of Venus Kallipygos, now in the National Archaeological Museum of Naples.

Hi! I'm not sure which prefix to put into my story. It's somewhere between everyone and teen. in my fic, There will be death, but there won't be blood and gore.

Last edited:
kPU8ysL.gif

It's everyone's favorite week of the month: The one where I have been arbitrarily chosen to write up the newsletter! I hope you're excited, because I know I am! please love me

Let's get started with last week's...

N E W R E L E A S E S
@Greninjaman kicks off his anime rewrite with the first chapter of Ash's Great Pokémon Odyssey!
@ZDaemon09 posted the first five chapters of his post Sun and Moon fic Seafaring Travels!
ZDaemon also dropped a whole host of completed fics for the archive. Check 'em out:
Alolan Fever Dream!
Falling Through a Hoop!
Alolan Rescue Team, Exploring The Mind!
Of Stars and Boundaries
Alola, Sinnoh!
Through The Sands We Go! A Post Pokémon Sun and Moon Fanfic!

U P D A T E S
@Gama continues his reboot of Brotherhood with Chapter 3: Out of our Depth
Chapters 7, 8 and 9 of Ash and the Shadow of Orre by Greninjaman
Chapter 16: Ascendance of Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Unequivocant by @lucarioknight56
Chapter 9: Grievous Gluttony makes a fine addition to the collection of Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Guiding Light by @Ambyssin
Episodes 13b and 14a of Pokémon Shine Diamond by @LightningTopaz
Week 366: The Wounded Pyroar is Live from the Fireside by LightningTopaz
Another sonnet, and Chapter 3 of The Wanderings of the Roving Mightyena by @Donna Baines
@Huikyeong's new installment of Paul's New Adventures

Excellent job everyone! We've got some great stuff cooking for you all over the next few months, so watch this space.

Word of the Week
We’re going for a rascally French word today:

démerdeur (n.): someone who has a talent for getting themselves out of trouble.

Literally “a de-shitter”, or “one who gets themselves out of the shit”. There’s a big sense of the lovable rogue in this word, the kind of rascal that gets themselves into trouble and gets out of it again with just as much verve and panache. You’ve got to hand it to the French people – despite the vulgarity of the origin, “démerdeur” sounds as dashing as the démerdeur himself. Back to Aether!

I have nothing left to say besides the fact that someone, somewhere, has fantastic hair. You know who you are.

Ciao!

Last edited by a moderator:
Gonna assume this is the place to ask questions. Is there a thread for general book/fanfic/writing discussion somewhere on the boards? I don't mean the "How many words did you write today" one, but a place for authors to spin their ideas on each other and discuss.

I looked all over here and found nothing, and the search engine didn't pull up anything either. If so, would it be out of line for me to create such a thread? Thanks!

Gonna assume this is the place to ask questions. Is there a thread for general book/fanfic/writing discussion somewhere on the boards? I don't mean the "How many words did you write today" one, but a place for authors to spin their ideas on each other and discuss.

I looked all over here and found nothing, and the search engine didn't pull up anything either. If so, would it be out of line for me to create such a thread? Thanks!

Athena beat me to the Plot Bunny Zoo, but I'll clarify too that you're free to make discussion threads and/or ask questions about things in this thread if you're unsure. :)

Athena beat me to the Plot Bunny Zoo, but I'll clarify too that you're free to make discussion threads and/or ask questions about things in this thread if you're unsure. :)

I made a post in the thread @Athena enclosed, but thank you anyway! Feel free to take a peek at it if you want, you seem like a pretty well-respected writer around here.

Good morning/evening, writers of Bulbagarden! Here's what's happening around the workshop!

New releases
@unrepentantAuthor returns with a rewrite of an old favorite, Different Eyes TEEN: - uA's "Different Eyes" [Index, Prelude, Chapter One]
@Misfit Angel brings us a quick poem about love, longing and emotional pain with Painful Butterflies EVERYONE: - Painful Butterflies

New chapters
Chapters 2 through 8 of Part 1 and Chapter 1 of Part 2 of Ash's Great Pokemon Odyssey by @Greninjaman TEEN: - Ash's Great Pokemon Odyssey (Arc 1: Kanto)
Chapters 6 through 9 of Seafaring Travels! by @ZDaemon09 EVERYONE: - Seafaring Travels!
Chapter 17 of PMD: Unequivocant by @lucarioknight56 TEEN: - Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Unequivocant ('Chapter 17: Desolation' Posted)
Chapter 10 of PMD: Guiding Light by @Ambyssin TEEN: - Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Guiding Light
Episodes 14b and 15a of Pokemon Shine Diamond by @LightningTopaz EVERYONE: - Pokemon Shine Diamond
Week 367 of Live from the Fireside by @LightningTopaz EVERYONE: - Live from the Fireside, Season 14 (Week 367: The Tale of Peakoa)
A new installment of Paul's [Shinji's] New Adventures by @Huikyeong EVERYONE: - Paul's [Shinji's] New Adventures [PG]
Interview 10 of The Paxton & Joseph Show (Anime) by @JFrombaugh EVERYONE: - The Paxton & Joseph Show (Anime universe)

Completed stories!
The final chapter of Hunter, Haunted by @canisaries is here! Congratulations for seeing this project through to its conclusion! MATURE: - Hunter, Haunted

That's all for now--happy writing!

Monday also means it's time for Word of the Week! This week it's:

dandelion (n.): a widely distributed weed of the daisy family, with a rosette of leaves and large bright yellow flowers followed by globular heads of seeds with downy tufts [Oxford English Dictionary].

Dandelion is probably a familiar word to most people reading this, so why have I chosen it for this week’s word? Because Spring is in full swing, at least in the northern hemisphere, and the dandelions popping up have an animal-based origin. Dandelion comes from the Medieval French dent de lion, or lion’s tooth, a rather imaginative description of the weed’s jagged leaves. Ironically, in modern French dandelions are now known as pissenlit, related to obsolete English name piss-a-bed.

9WJtSQs.gif

Teaser
April came, it saw, and it conquered. It's been a very busy and productive month for the community; lots of new stories, tons of chapters, the return of some old favorites and a rather extensive dump of ZDaemon09's previously written work! Unfortunately, this fairest of spring months is coming to a close... but in comes May! Here's a little teaser of what to expect in May...
  • First, it's your last day to participate in this month's Review League Challenge: reviewing a work you've already commented on will net you two bonus points. Check back tomorrow to see what May's bonus will be! It'll be an interesting... development...
  • The moderation team has been cooking up a little project over the past month that'll involve you guys! Details on what this project is and how to participate will come shortly! I'm personally very excited for this one.
  • We've got a new Author of the Month coming up, and this time, it's @Ambyssin! He's already been interviewed and he's got a lot to say! Stay tuned, his interview will be dropping tomorrow, and it's a treat.

New Releases
Only one new project this week: @Arbirchy brings us Buddy's Busting Out All Over!

New Chapters

Completed stories!
With blazing speed, @ZDaemon09 has posted chapters 11 through 16 and the finale of Seafaring Travels this week! Congratulations on finishing it!

Word of the Week
@Beth Pavell brings us yet another word of the week (or rather phrase of the week), and this time it's from the beautiful Gaelic language of old Scotland. As a rampaging Scots lass myself who is currently basing her work off of Scots and Celtic cultures, it's a bit poetic that I've been the one to share this word!

rhionnach maoim (n.): The shadows cast on the moorland by clouds moving across the sky on a bright and windy day.

The languages of Britain have lost a lot of their words for the land and nature, as dialects have become less distinctive and people’s lives are no longer tied to the landscape. Perhaps no more so than the Gaelic of the Scottish isles, itself a dying language. Rhionnach maoim speaks to a time when a spoken description could be as accurate as any map, when people had a casual connection to nature that we in modern times have to actively forge.

That's it for this week!
Thank you all for your continued participation in this community! We've truly carved ourselves out a little corner of the internet, one I'm happy to call home. You guys rock.

545c52eb6d0d3532cf3e82c059748bc087d32ff7_hq.gif

WHAT'S UP
Been noticeably quieter this week on the forums, but that's okay! It's exams time for a lot of people, and I imagine a lot of us are enjoying the fact that the cold, cold winter's gone away (or the blistering hot summer, depending on your part of the world)! I know real life takes priority always, but the community's always open for when y'all get a little more free time again and wanna chat, read, and/or write. :3

We've gotten a few questions about when the awards are. This summer, they'll be taking place in July! From mid-May through June, we'll have another project for you guys as the mods finalize the post-awards feedback we got in winter. @Misfit Angel hinted at the project last week, and to offer a little more detail as we get closer to announcing it, the mods basically want to show off the amazingly diverse group of characters this community has to offer! We'll be asking for you authors to submit characters so that we can organize a display with graphics and mini-interviews that your characters can respond to in their voice (much like the questions proposed in this popular thread).

Finally... for anyone who didn't know already, I help run the official Bulbagarden Tumblr, which mostly features Pokémon fanwork. Right now, we mostly reblog fanart submissions, but fanfic submissions would be a-okay, too! If you have a Tumblr, feel free to submit your posted work here for us to reblog! I realize not everyone has a Tumblr, and I plan to revive the forum submission system in the future, so if anyone's got ideas they might wanna see for that, hit me up.

NEW RELEASES

@Greninjaman has restarted Ash's Great Pokemon Odyssey and has already reached chapter 11!

NEW CHAPTERS
Chapter 6 of Brotherhood by @Gama
Chapter 12 of PMD: Guiding Light by @Ambyssin
Chapter 19 of PMD: Unequivocant by @lucarioknight56
Episodes 17 and 18 of Pokemon Shine Diamond by @LightningTopaz
Week 368b of Live from the Fireside by @LightningTopaz
A new installment of Paul's [Shinji's] New Adventures by @Huikyeong
Chapter 4 of The Wanderings of the Roving Mightyena by @Donna Baines
A new installment of guidance by @Athena

WORD OF THE WEEK

You can’t accuse @Beth Pavell of obscure words this week! Here’s one every Pokémon fan will know:

champion (n.): 1. a person who has surpassed all rivals in a sporting contest or other competition.

2. a person who vigorously supports or defends a person or cause.

(v.) [with object]: to vigorously support or defend the cause of:

(adj.): excellent [Oxford English Dictionary]

Most of us will use champion in its first sense, as the winner of a tournament or competition. A Trainer’s pokémon are champions, too: a champion could also be someone who fought a duel on another person’s behalf.

BYE NOW ILY ALL OKAY? OKAY

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom