• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Spoilers Official Let's Go Pikachu/Let's Go Eevee Discussion Thread

The reveal trailer had underpowered trainers too. Bug catcher Cale on the nugget bridge had a lvl 10 Caterpie, Weedle, Metapod and Kakuna in FRLG, while in LGPE he has just one lvl 9 Venonat.

The point still stands. The chances that they’re adding anything remotely challenging to LGPE are slim to none.

…You’re forgetting a very important detail: the level up system is different in Let’s Go. You can no longer rely on wild battles to level grind and may need to spend bucks on Pokéballs and have to resort to the limited Trainers for leveling up.

Want a bit of a challenge? Then catch only the Pokémon you need to proceed. You’ll see how the lack of ways of level grinding aside of captures and Trainers will begin to pile on you.

…You’re forgetting a very important detail: the level up system is different in Let’s Go. You can no longer rely on wild battles to level grind and may need to spend bucks on Pokéballs and have to resort to the limited Trainers for leveling up.
I don’t think this is a big deal, considering catching now gives exp to all Pokemon in the party.
Want a bit of a challenge? Then catch only the Pokémon you need to proceed.
Artificial difficulty.

I don’t think this is a big deal, considering catching now gives exp to all Pokemon in the party.

Yes, but the point I was trying to make is that you aren’t forced to catch Pokémon to gain EXP, and Pokémon are more easily avoidable now that they are visible on the map. So, if you want to hold back on the level grinding, you can.

Artificial difficulty.

Pray tell, why is there this fixation of desiring for the company to give you an imposed level of difficulty? Why force people who aren’t as seasoned as us to endure frustrating or hairpull-inducing games if they can have the freedom of giving themselves a self-challenge to make things more interesting and harder?

I mean, it’s much easier to give yourself some rules to make an easy game harder, rather than toning down a hard game to make it easier for beginners. Heck, I wouldn’t recommend some of the latest Mario & Luigi games to beginners because they are unforgiving toward people who hadn’t mastered certain skills with previous (and easier to master and learn) entries.

And this is why difficulty settings would be a good idea as well. I myself find it difficult to go through with self-imposed challenges and keep the flow of difficulty consistent to a level where I'm comfortable. (As I don't want it to be hair-pullingly hard, or painfully easy) Something as simple as even just increasing the levels would be an improvement. Though I doubt these games will have them, if their claims are that they will have stuff to keep veterans on their toes mean anything, then perhaps the possibility exists.

As much as I would gladly welcome difficulty settings, last time that GF introduced them there were plenty of people who complained because the games still weren’t challenging enough, but appreciated that GF “tried”. They probably didn’t bother keeping the difficulty options because of those complaints, kinda like how they stopped introducing evolutions because they “ruined” the original Pokémon.

Anyway, I think it’s pretty much obvious that these games have newer players in mind, who may struggle with things that for us are obvious or easy enough to face.

Just to give an example, when I had to babysit a couple of children (8 years old and 10 years old), they had a lot of troubles facing the Rustboro Gym in their Ruby game because their team was seriously underleveled and they were starting to grow bored of losing and trying dozens of times. (I managed to beat the Gym Leader by Growling countless of times and using X-Attacks, but it was a strategy hard to pull off even for me, as a mistake or missed attack could have costed the match.)

Why is that? Because they didn’t bother stopping talking to NPCs and learning the basics of the game, which bit them in the butt. In fact, by thinking back about that event, I would have appreciated if there was something that actually forced them to learn some basics like catching and training, so that they would have had more knowledge about what could have been future challenges and enjoyed the game much more.

Maybe these games aren’t stimulating enough for some older fans, but I assure you that they could be very helpful for younger players, especially ones who prefer to rush through the games or don’t bother with random “mini-subquests”. At times, an imposed stop can help them understand how some mechanics work.

As much as I would gladly welcome difficulty settings, last time that GF introduced them there were plenty of people who complained because the games still weren’t challenging enough, but appreciated that GF “tried”. They probably didn’t bother keeping the difficulty options because of those complaints, kinda like how they stopped introducing evolutions because they “ruined” the original Pokémon.
People complained that those difficulty settings were unlocked in the post-game, which meant that the idea was merely treated as a way for players to help each other (a light version of co-op). That idea failed, but Masuda would have to be pretty narrow-minded to conclude that difficulty settings weren't appealing.

Maybe these games aren’t stimulating enough for some older fans, but I assure you that they could be very helpful for younger players, especially ones who prefer to rush through the games or don’t bother with random “mini-subquests”. At times, an imposed stop can help them understand how some mechanics work.
I do agree with this, but there should really be a way to eliminate the handholding for those that don't need it.

Ah, but you are talking about FRLG. I was talking about the original Pokémon Red –which was referenced when people said “we as kids didn’t have to deal with yadda yadda” – where using a Charmander was akin to going in hard mode since it couldn’t learn anything to deal with Brock quickly. FRLG fixed this issue by letting it learn Metal Claw.

If there is something that people should question instead is why have Pikachu learn Double Kick and then have the guide ask to bring a Grass/Water Pokémon. I think it could have been equally interesting having the guy say “Hey, Pikachu can learn Double Kick! Did your Pikachu learn it? Come back once Pikachu knows that move.” It would have been a good way to give more importance to the starter while also ensuring that the Trainer had a super effective move for Brock.

The tip for Charmander/Yellow was to get a Butterfree and confusion it to death since they have no Rock moves and have a terrible Special Defence stat. I did that in both games

In Yellow, I would always solo Brock with Body Slam Pikachu after grinding a bit. Even as a not very effective hit, the level difference and high base power were enough to get through Brock.

You sure? Pikachu doesn't learn it by level up and the TM is in the SS Anne. Perhaps you meant Slam at level 20?

Anyway, I think it’s pretty much obvious that these games have newer players in mind, who may struggle with things that for us are obvious or easy enough to face.

Just to give an example, when I had to babysit a couple of children (8 years old and 10 years old), they had a lot of troubles facing the Rustboro Gym in their Ruby game because their team was seriously underleveled and they were starting to grow bored of losing and trying dozens of times. (I managed to beat the Gym Leader by Growling countless of times and using X-Attacks, but it was a strategy hard to pull off even for me, as a mistake or missed attack could have costed the match.)

Why is that? Because they didn’t bother stopping talking to NPCs and learning the basics of the game, which bit them in the butt. In fact, by thinking back about that event, I would have appreciated if there was something that actually forced them to learn some basics like catching and training, so that they would have had more knowledge about what could have been future challenges and enjoyed the game much more.

Those kids are an outliner. Pokemon was MASSIVE in the 90s with kids and they had to figure it out without the internet (including me). Two kids who suck at games don't count really

Last edited:
Those kids are an outliner. Pokemon was MASSIVE in the 90s with kids and they had to figure it out without the internet (including me). Two kids who suck at games don't count really
She was using them as an example. And no doubt there are plenty like them.

I don’t mind forced learning, but I do when it’s done annoyingly. Bw did it well with the first gym using little tests.

And that balance is needed. However LGPE is not meant to be hard. It’s mean to be casual, not competitive. That’s why it’s so different from what we know.

As long as they keep it’s annoying features away from the actual main games, I don’t mind it at all. It’s like animal crossing meets Pokémon.

LGPE isn’t direceted at just the veterans, it’s directed at everyone literally.

LGPE isn’t direceted at just the veterans, it’s directed at everyone literally.
None of the games are aimed at veterans, and that won't change next year. LGPE are just hyper casual-friendly due to Masuda's continued fear of kids moving onto mobile games for good.

I'll give him credit that designing co-op for parents who remember RGBY is a nice thought. I assume that when the second player tries to move in another direction, the game teleports them back. Way to give kids the perfect control over their pesky parents.

Last edited:
Oh yeah, dude is terrified of mobile gaming.

But I find that dumb, sure it's stupidly popular but Pokemon still sells 10+ mill with their games. People aint going anywhere

I personally get annoyed having to be taught how to catch Pokémon in every game.
They could just have had Clyde stop you and tell you about type adventage (also, why didn't he say anything about Pikachu having Double-Kick).

Since this game is going to sell tons because it's Pokémon, does that mean Sinnoh remakes and Gen IX will become casaulized? Will Cynthia become a piece of cake?

No... we aren't forced too use one (As far as we know). But still... they say we need to show one because they are SE. Casuals and first time players don't know about Type Match-ups, so they are gonna use a Grass or Water type in the match, meaning Double Kick on Pikachu is pointless, since there isn't mentioned that Fighting types are SE.

And if they teach you about type matchups for Grass and Water, who says they don't do the same in all gyms and force you too show a SE mon in order too enter.

It isn't pointless, because people who are aware of the move's effectiveness can use it. You have the option of battling however you want, however, they ask to see a Grass/Water type first so that new players are aware of type matchups. All you have to do is show them a grass or water type, and then proceed to battle however you want. I don't see the big deal in that at all.

The gameplay made it clear that this is something only Brock does for beginner trainers, that is how you know not every gym is going to make you show them a specific type.

Last edited:
Well yeah YOU don't but other players kind of have to.
I don't know, the system is very intuitive: throw Poke Ball to catch Pokemon. Weakening a Pokemon makes it easier to catch them. It's extremely basic.

But even if modern kids aren't able to figure things out, they could still make tutorials optional. It's especially aggravating when you're starting a new game; even if you needed a drawn-out tutorial once, you don't need to experience it every time you play, in this and every other Pokemon game you will ever play. My ideal way would be for the Professor to offer tutorials or answer questions whenever you need them.

Then why not make a dialogue teaching Grass- and Water- type advantages forced? It'd be much better than the current scenario.

They probably didn’t bother keeping the difficulty options because of those complaints, kinda like how they stopped introducing evolutions because they “ruined” the original Pokémon.

Which, if that’s their reasoning, is kind of irritating. Complaints don’t always mean “we don’t like this feature, and never want to see it again.” Why do they have this aversion to refinement? They don’t have to fold on every new idea that isn’t an instant hit; sometimes things just need to be gradually ironed out.

Then why not make a dialogue teaching Grass- and Water- type advantages forced? It'd be much better than the current scenario.

Simple question, simple answer: because it also gives you an incentive to expand your squad and to “catch ‘em all”. Isn’t that one of the objectives of the games, to get as many Pokémon as you can?

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom