• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pre-Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield Speculation & Leaks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally, I think I'd prefer to have the type-triangle system removed entirely if they were renovating it. I know game balance still has to be taken into account, so we couldn't get something like Dragon early on, but I think there's still plenty of possibility to tinker with. There could be duos, seeing as most of the time there's only one major rival getting the other starter-Fighting/Bug could easily work out, and Ghost/Normal might be possible depending on the early-game mons. And there's so many more possible combos that can be done if it was switched from rock-paper-scissors to types that are neutral against each other, even allowing for groups larger than three. (I don't imagine the rivals would have starters dependent on the player's in that situation, but it would certainly make experiences more unique between players)

I don’t think Starter trios are going to be replaced with duos,

The Pokemon Day Countdown highlighted the fundamental parts of the franchise and its entry for 3 was 3 Starter Pokemon.
The Fire/Water/Grass trio is also unlikely to go at this point since it is iconic and their types are easily recognisable and basic.

I don’t think Starter trios are going to be replaced with duos,

The Pokemon Day Countdown highlighted the fundamental parts of the franchise and its entry for 3 was 3 Starter Pokemon.
The Fire/Water/Grass trio is also unlikely to go at this point since it is iconic and their types are easily recognisable and basic.
I agree. I don't think that the traditional Fire/Grass/Water starter trio is going anywhere.

I would like to see something along the lines of a Grass-Dark, Water-Fighting and Fire-Psychic trio. It would be interesting to see the weaker type have a counter against the stronger type with the second typing.

I would like to see something along the lines of a Grass-Dark, Water-Fighting and Fire-Psychic trio. It would be interesting to see the weaker type have a counter against the stronger type with the second typing.

Can we please not have a repeat of Fire/Fighting with Fire/Psychic instead?

we've hit up the tough strong fire-type so many times, let's balance that out with a bit more girly.
*Braixen and Delphox cry in a corner*

I could do with a gender-neutral Fire type for once. Typhlosion is the only truly gender-neutral Fire Starter, with Blaziken and Charizard being debatable and Braixen hits the other extreme of being girly.

I'd be happy with a Fire/Fairy, Fire/Electric or Fire/Ice (unlikely) starter, which has above average (if not fast) speed stats.

I could maybe go for a Fire/Fairy this time around... we've hit up the tough strong fire-type so many times, let's balance that out with a bit more girly.

Maybe a Water/Flying? Or uh...

I got no clue. XD But now I'm more curious what creature they might base the water-type on next.

I was kind of wondering what a grass/steel, fire/fairy, and water/dragon set of final evos would look like. But it is kind of nonsensical for the water/dragon combo since only the fire/fairy pokemon would be immune to dragon type moves, so maybe water/fighting

*Braixen and Delphox cry in a corner*
XD That's why I said a bit more girly- we need some more effeminate fire friends for the fennekin line.

Definitely have my vote down for the Fire-starter being Fairy-type. Now just gotta decide what I'd like to see the other two be.

Good list of possibles for the water starter- List of semiaquatic tetrapods - Wikipedia

Leaning towards Water/Flying or Water/Poison- get us a good water bird or platypus... or toxic salamander, maybe. XD

Last edited:
Don’t forget about Bug.

It’s supposed to be psychic. Haven’t you ever listened to 2B A master.

In seriousness. No fire/fighting and no bipedal fire type and I’ll be happy. And less humanoid starters. Gen 2 was the last gen without any humanoid starters. Gen V the last gen where there was at least one non humanoid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom