• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon Let's Go Co-op

The trailer presented it in a drop in sort of deal.

I can see this working by having player two taking control the second half of the first player's team

Another way they can do it is by having a "player 2 box" in the PC.
It’s confirmed that Player 2 will use Player 1’s reserves (i.e. box Pokémon.)

@Envoy so 12 on 6 confirmed.
Basically, yes.

Of course, how many NPC's in Kanto do you know that have a team of six Pokemon? I can only recall your Rival and maybe Magikarp guy.

So in practice, it'll actually be closer to 12 on 2.

Last edited:
I hope there will be some limitation a la Pokémon Stadium, where you can carry a team of six but have to choose a set amount while battling in co-op. Kinda like the in-game partner battles in the Battle Frontier and stuff, so that it can make things a bit more even.

If co-op mode makes it into future installments, I can see Multi-battles being a regular thing instead of being restricted to battle facilities. Who knows? Maybe there could be a Multi-battle criteria in VGC/WCS where you participate as a team.

@Unown Seer it's not like limiting players so they don't ruin the game for themselves is part of a game designer's job or something.
It is not as if these games and feature were designed with kids in mind or anything. But I am not defending Game Freak so much as making a point that you can arrange your own balance.

Basically, yes.

Of course, how many NPC's in Kanto do you know that have a team of six Pokemon? I can only recall your Rival and maybe Magikarp guy.

So in practice, it'll actually be closer to 12 on 2.

and some people will still lose

It’s confirmed that Player 2 will use Player 1’s reserves (i.e. box Pokémon.)

Are you sure? Because the E3 gameplay showed otherwise.

In it, when player 1 switched their follow Pokemon from Charmander to Onyx, the Squirtle behind player 2 automatically switch to an Eevee, I'm not sure why exactly but there could be some sort of formula where it designates 3 of your party to player 2 based on what row (left or right) your follow Pokemon is, or something like that.

I just assumed it splits the party between both players.

From the trailer, we can now see that a second Pokémon can follow the co-op player. It's not a big deal gameplay wise, however, it does show that co-op player still gets a little of their own immersion into the games, while they perform their 'assist main player' role.

A detail which was missed among the mass of information at E3- the co-op playe is always the opposite gender of the player character.

Last edited:
A detail which was missed among the mass of information at E3- the co-op playe ris always the opposite gender of the player character.
This tells me that:

A. Character customization isn’t returning (not that I was expecting it) and

B. The opposite gender chararacter is used to avoid confusion.

If the "if they have more than one Pokemon it'll be a double battle" thing happens, then they should've just hd a feature that clones the other Pokemon if they only have one should you be playing co-op, then it'll be 2v2

I am looking forward to the co-op simply because this is the first time. I plan on playing this game with my dude since it is co-op. We will just store our extra pokemon separate from each other esp since my dude doesnt like picking a set team to play through the whole game. I usually do, but I won't be able to while playing with him. From what I understand and I may be wrong, you still only have 6 pokemon and the second player uses 3 of yours so the team is split. So player 1 uses the first 3 and player 2 the second set of 3.
I do see co-op for the future but I am sure they will change it to where both players have their own 6 pokemon. I hope co-op will be in the future. I do like the idea. Its better to play with a friend than a computer character.
if co-op will be in the future surely they will have more group or double battles in future games.
I do personally believe this Let's Go game is seeing what our reactions are to new ideas. I think this co-op is just testing it out and hopefully it will be better in future games. Perhaps gen 8?

Co-op confirmed to be 2 vs 1 even when the opponent has two available Pokémon.
upload_2018-7-12_19-36-21.jpeg

This feature is obviously designed for kids who really need the massive help. In the original Yellow, even Jessie and James had to battle one at a time.

It's more justified to use this feature for Pokemon catching if you want to make Pokedex completion less time-consuming.

I wonder how will co-op deal with Mega Evolutions. Will each player be given one mega? It seems likely so that Dad can use his Mega Charizard X to help little Jimmy's Mega Venusaur battle a particularly 'difficult' trainer.

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom