• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview M22: Mewtwo's Counterattack Evolution

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great. More Kanto pandering. Seriously are they even going to do a movie in Alola with the current cast? I’m not a huge fan of this cast, but its so weird that they continue the Kanto pandering.
All movies from now on are likely to follow their own continuity to allow more possibilities for the story. The movies that followed the main series haven't been doing too well in the past few years.

'Kay, now that I calmed down (though I still stand for what I said), it does make sense to choose Mewtwo this time. It follows the trend of the previous two movies, and considering what they did in the Lugia one, we could get an original story here instead of a half-retelling attempt. Or at least that's what I hope, even though the title isn't helping much.

I also hope they go by the rule of three so this one wraps it up for an AU-trilogy, which would coincide with Let's Go's timeframe. Gen 8 would be getting started by the time a 23rd movie comes so I hope they could do something fresh (AU or not), instead of """nostalgic""" by then.

I think the movie could introduce Rainbow Rocket and then relate the plot to Ultra Necrozma. It sounds really promising.
Oh, I can picture it now. Turns out this whole AU was set in an Ultra Space dimension all along.

Calling it now: Mega-Mewtwo X at long last.

Too bad it couldn't be on the Show or a movie that doesn't sound like a nostalgic cash grab...:(

It's old news and Mega Evolution isn't even in the games being promoted here.

It's also ugly as sin. A new "evolution" is more likely, but I hope not.

Well, I think the movie for next year will not be a totally unchanged remake of the old one.
To make a CG movie also makes no sense, considering the first CG trailer revealed for m10 which is not a CG movie (If the movie turns out to be a CG one in the end, also no surprise for that).
Another live action movie will be out for next year before the traditional Japanese summer movie comes out, so the local producer may want to relax in this dual-movie year.
Now that we don't know if the Japanese blue logo will keep using for next year. However, since the staff use the blue logo this year, I hope they continue doing this movie series which without influences of TV series.
Unless something unexpected happened, the function of this movie will be a promotion for both LGPE and the new game coming in 2019. So some new gen8 pokemon could show up in this movie. The main character will be Mewtwo or its new forme or Mewthree (something like that, which is also the new pokemon in LGPE, supposed that this new pokemon has sth to do with Mewtwo). There's also a high possibility that some gen8 new mystical pokemon acts as a supporting or a guest character in this movie (in terms of every movie having at least 2 event pokemon since m10, the producer needs a stunt). Advance ticket event could be Mewtwo or other normal pokemon (Mew will be for Pokeball plus, if they distribute it again through movie, what's the purpose). Theater event could be a special Mewtwo or a pokemon bringing special event when sent over into 2019 game or Mewthree (not saying that the new pokemon in LGPE must be Mewthree, but it's a possible expectation). Btw, maybe the new pokemon in LGPE will be revealed soon, cause it's obviously the focus in LGPE's promotion season. So the event arrangements are open to discussion, just these points for now...

All movies from now on are likely to follow their own continuity to allow more possibilities for the story. The movies that followed the main series haven't been doing too well in the past few years.
Really because at this point we had 2 movies in Kanto, and 1 of them in what i'm guessing OI and all we been doing is remaking old movies.

I'm waiting for M23 where the trailers make it seem like it'll be the GS Ball/Celebi story we were supposed to get but it's really just an hour and a half of Satoshi helping a Gen 8 legendary.

So a proper movie 1 remake and apparently with CGI than your average Pokemon film interesting. When this comes to North America, I really do have to wonder how the story will be handled this time since 4Kids I'm aware kinda butchered the original story quite a bit.
You seem to think TPCi is doing any better with the Movies dubs lately, than 4Kids did at the start in terms of not rewriting things, which they unfortunately aren't right now: they're still sadly rewriting the scripts (particularly for Team Rocket ala "Yo ho, Ho Oh!", though Ash and co. got quite a few rewrites in M20 himself like "Mess with me and you're gonna lose," "Might makes right," etc.), still replacing >90% of the Japanese music in them again, etc. I feel the dub for M22 will be on the same level as M01, from the looks of things, these days. I do hope they at least don't rewrite the script for Ash & co. as much on the twerp side, but the TR dialogue rewrites will be as bad or worse imo then back then given TPCi's history with them since the DP dub era (same with the music changes given TPCi's current path on this front, though this began again with the XY dub era in Movies, on the other hand).

It's unfortunate, really, if this was 4Kids during mid Johto to AG or TPCi from BF to BW in terms of the film dubs, I wouldn't expect the M01-M03 sort of treatment to be returning from the Movie dubs, but given the latest trend from M17-20 in the dub, my hopes are minimal here- currently, I feel this will be history repeating itself in many ways.

Last edited:
My current theory is that this film is being made so it will be a breakout hit with Americans. It's not a very strong theory and this could all end up be me looking too deep into things but:
  • The "The Legend is Back" text that appeared on screen is in both Japanese *and* English. That tells me that they're going to want this teaser passed around English language sites when it's finally posted online a few months from now.
  • The English version of Movie 22, if past years are any indication, will probably come out sometime around November 2019. Guess what else is in November 2019? The 20th anniversary of the release of the Mewtwo Strikes Back dub.
  • In the extremely unlikely event that this movie is *shudders* all CG then that could be another way they're pandering to American audiences. Japan has this idea that America has completely given up on 2D animated films (and, to be fair, what was the last one to get a theatrical release in the U.S.?) and so making a film that looks like a modern-day American animated film could be a way to get Movie 22 some extra attention.
Of course every one of these points could be struck down immediately and I'll be eating my words in a few months' time. But still...it's not *impossible*, right...?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom