• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pre-Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield Speculation & Leaks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
^ Just Audino for Gen V, and Diancie for Gen VI. (Audino makes me sad because it should have been an evolution and works terribly as a Mega. But that's neither here nor there.)

Count me in on the Mega train. They were cool, but very underutilized in the games. Most Megas were locked behind the post-game in XY. Gen VII only had them in strictly the post-game, locked behind the Battle Tree or through Wi-Fi events. We only got, what, 3 people in all of Gen VI that used Megas during the main games? (Lysandre, Diantha and Steven.)

We only got, what, 3 people in all of Gen VI that used Megas during the main games? (Lysandre, Diantha and Steven.)
There's actually fifteen in total, but they Mega Evolve so rarely it's easy to forget.

Speaking of NPCs Mega Evolving, I loved how they incorporated Key Stones into character's designs. I hate that the trend seemed to visibly fade out in the games-ORAS goes from "every character gets a unique key stone" to "generic, unseen keystone" as the game progresses, and SuMo won't even give you a bracelet.

^ Just Audino for Gen V, and Diancie for Gen VI.
Whoops, I completely forgot about Diancie. XD Well at least Gen 6 got one Mega, I guess. Could still definitely use some more to round the regions out and make the mechanic less of a one-generation gimmick. Come on, Gen 8, give us more Megas and regional variants! =D

do you think it is possible they are trading in megas for regional variants? I hope not because if they kept both it would give variety and whatever pokemon has one has just that.
Add cross-gen evolutions and it would be perfect. Also, add at least one trainer with each mega (except legendaries for obvious reasons) so that we can see them in battle in case you don't plan on using them. Specially since I keep forgetting most Megas exist.

I have a hunch Z-moves, ME, and regional variants will go by the wayside and we'll get some other new gimmick.
I really hope not, we've gotten enough new gimmicks to last us a few generations, so it would be nice if they would just go back to giving us new mega evolutions, regional variants and cross-gen evolutions for awhile. =/ I think we're all set on Z-moves, but I guess if they added a couple new ones, that wouldn't hurt too much either as long as we got those other three things- especially since new mega evolutions and variants would help take the edge off of adding too many all-new pokemon and accelerating the pokedex count into the 1000s, without needlessly complicating things.

Perhaps a part of me is just really old fashioned when it comes to Pokemon but...

The more gimmicks that are introduced the more I get excited about them at first, and then feel a bit overwhelmed later because then I have to learn the mechanics of these new gimmicks, the lore, etc etc...

And then there's the part of me that years for the simplicity of Pokemon of the old days. I'd really rather this just be it for gimmicks for now. Take a generation or two of a break; I don't think it'll harm any games not to introduce some gimmick just to focus more something else important like post-game or features or whatever.

What a shame that cross-gen evolutions were forgotten about as soon as Gen 4 passed.

To be fair, the fans kinda tore most of the Gen 4 ones to shreds. So it may not be that they were “forgotten about” so much as it was determined that they weren’t a successful/popular idea.

I don’t think that’s a great excuse for dropping the idea completely, but I can at least kinda see why they might feel that way.

Personally though, I prefer to see more entirely new Pokémon, so I could really go either way when it comes to making additions to old families. Megas and variants are good enough alternatives in my book.

Speaking of NPCs Mega Evolving, I loved how they incorporated Key Stones into character's designs. I hate that the trend seemed to visibly fade out in the games-ORAS goes from "every character gets a unique key stone" to "generic, unseen keystone" as the game progresses, and SuMo won't even give you a bracelet.

I can understand them not bothering to give the Hoenn Elite Four new artwork just to add their Key Stones/Mega Whatevers, since they only first received them in the post-game.

SM didn’t need to give us a bracelet because we already had one. Sina and Dexio explained that the Z-Ring can work the same way as a Mega Ring, and it would feel kind of redundant for us to be wearing two different super-special power bracelets. I’m sure the next games will probably brush over both of those devices, but that’s not SM’s problem. And they gave Mega Rings to both Dexio and Sina, as well. It’s true that none of the Battle Tree partners are given a Mega Ring or a Z-Ring, but that’s probably because the Tree is the same sort of “soft canon” as all the other battle facilities, and the non-Alolan partners that they chose all feel like afterthoughts.

Last edited:
To be fair, the fans kinda tore most of the Gen 4 ones to shreds. So it may not be that they were “forgotten about” so much as it was determined that they weren’t a successful/popular idea.

I don’t think that’s a great excuse for dropping the idea completely, but I can at least kinda see why they might feel that way.

Personally though, I prefer to see more entirely new Pokémon, so I could really go either way when it comes to making additions to old families. Megas and variants are good enough alternatives in my book.
XD Man if that's the reason, what an error on their part- the concept of cross-gen evos was never bad, just the designs of some of them were far from great. Like Rhyperior and Magmortar... they broke my heart doing that to poor Rhydon and right when you thought Magmar couldn't get uglier.

I hope Gen 8 will forego any ridiculous new form mechanic and just revisit a lot of concepts that we've had over the years- namely cross-gen evos, Baby evos, Mega evos and regional variants. Let's turn some of these gimmicks into a long-lasting part of the franchise, Game Freak, please and thank you.

If there is a new form mechanic, I prefer it is changed out of battle rather than being an in-battle exclusive form. I'm kind of tired of in-battle exclusive forms to be honest. I would also hope that it would have an universal item or an universal way, I always hated looking through so many Mega Stones just to find the right one for my Pokemon. An universal item or way would remove the necessity of having to go through the bag for such a long time.

Going to have to agree with Oriden here -- sure, the designs of some of them were questionable at absolute worst -- but that doesn't mean that they were bad, or that the idea as a whole was bad. :\ Boy, Game Freak sure has a terrible habit of ditching one idea and never revisiting it again...

I hope Gen 8 will forego any ridiculous new form mechanic and just revisit a lot of concepts that we've had over the years- namely cross-gen evos, Baby evos, Mega evos and regional variants. Let's turn some of these gimmicks into a long-lasting part of the franchise, Game Freak, please and thank you.
They really oversaturated Mega Evolutions; there are 48 Mega Evolutions released within a single year, compared to 34 cross-generational evolutions released within 7 years. Keep the feature limited to 3-stage Pokemon that actually need the boost.

And bring back Madame as a regular evolution without any design change. She should have never been erased.

They just need to make better cross-gen evolutions. It's really simple. =P

Like, I'm far from a Gen I purist (I certainly love the post-Gen I Eevee evolutions, including the ones in Gen IV, for example), but some of those evolutions in Gen IV were just... bad. Rhyperior, Magmortor, Electivire in particular. I feel like they just really threw away the character the originals had and made these overdesigned abominations. Then again, looking back on Gen I, Magmar and Electabuzz are some of the stranger designs. Especially Magmar, so I'm probably pretty biased.

I just remember in one of the games I used Magmar and decided to evolve it, but Magmortor was just so incredibly hideous that I couldn't anymore and had to box it and find something else.

Cross gen evolutions can certainly be done better than that... Right?

sure, the designs of some of them were questionable at absolute worst -- but that doesn't mean that they were bad

That’s only your opinion, though. I don’t think any of them are all that bad either; I like quite a few of them. But plenty of people did feel that they were outright bad, which I suspect (and I should stress that this is all merely a suspicion on my part) is the sentiment that Game Freak may have caught the most wind of.

But of course, even if that’s the case, it clearly hasn’t convinced Game Freak that they cannot safely alter old designs at all, as they have continued to rework existing designs through Mega Evolution and Alola Forms. It is certainly possible that it isn’t the negative response to those Gen 4 evolutions that is responsible for the concept’s absence in recent generations. Maybe they have just been eager to try out new avenues for reworking older Pokémon. Maybe they toyed with some possible ideas, but couldn’t come up with any that they liked well enough. Maybe they don’t think any of the existing families need that kind of permanent stat boost at the moment (and Eviolite benefits would be another thing to consider). Quite frankly, I actually tend to think that most of the existing Pokémon families feel pretty complete at this point, and think that they merely need to have their stats adjusted à la Masquerain in SM. There are a couple here or there that I think could use evolutions or Megas (Magcargo leaps to mind for the latter, personally), but for the most part, I think the overall roster is in a petty good position design-wise. Perhaps Game Freak feel similarly.

They just need to make better cross-gen evolutions. It's really simple. =P

Like, I'm far from a Gen I purist (I certainly love the post-Gen I Eevee evolutions, including the ones in Gen IV, for example), but some of those evolutions in Gen IV were just... bad. Rhyperior, Magmortor, Electivire in particular. I feel like they just really threw away the character the originals had and made these overdesigned abominations. Then again, looking back on Gen I, Magmar and Electabuzz are some of the stranger designs. Especially Magmar, so I'm probably pretty biased.

Well, the problem, as I’m sure you know, is that they can’t exactly know in advance that a design they all like and approve of isn’t going to go over well with the public once the games are released. “Just make better ones” is a lot easier said than done, because “better” is completely subjective. For instance, I actually like Electivire quite a bit, so I hardly recognize your indictment of it as a “bad” design. :p

That’s only your opinion, though. I don’t think any of them are all that bad either; I like quite a few of them. But plenty of people did feel that they were outright bad, which I suspect (and I should stress that this is all merely a suspicion on my part) is the sentiment that Game Freak may have caught the most wind of.

But of course, even if that’s the case, it clearly hasn’t convinced Game Freak that they cannot safely alter old designs at all, as they have continued to rework existing designs through Mega Evolution and Alola Forms. It is certainly possible that it isn’t the negative response to those Gen 4 evolutions that is responsible for the concept’s absence in recent generations. Maybe they have just been eager to try out new avenues for reworking older Pokémon. Maybe they toyed with some possible ideas, but couldn’t come up with any that they liked well enough. Maybe they don’t think any of the existing families need that kind of permanent stat boost at the moment (and Eviolite benefits would be another thing to consider). Quite frankly, I actually tend to think that most of the existing Pokémon families feel pretty complete at this point, and think that they merely need to have their stats adjusted à la Masquerain in SM. There are a couple here or there that I think could use evolutions or Megas (Magcargo leaps to mind for the latter, personally), but for the most part, I think the overall roster is in a petty good position design-wise. Perhaps Game Freak feel similarly.

Of course that's my opinion; I never claimed otherwise, did I? =P

I'm going to be rather blunt here and say that we're probably overthinking this way too much and it's probably for a much simpler reason and nothing like fan outrage. It's probably something akin to the whole Mega Flygon thing where they couldn't figure out decent designs for it so they decided to scrap the idea altogether.

Of course that's my opinion; I never claimed otherwise, did I? =P

No, but whether you did or not is beside the point. My proposition was that the negative reaction to the designs might have discouraged Game Freak from exploring that option further in subsequent generations. There are obviously going to be some people, such as you or myself, who didn’t think the designs were contemptible, but a negative response can be large enough to where it eclipses such sympathetic sentiments. Thus, if that is indeed what transpired in the case of the Gen 4 evolutions, then our more forgiving opinions would be rather irrelevant. The decision was made, and our position would have been what Game Freak observed to be the minority at the time. My post was not an accusation of any opinion-based assertion you made, but rather an elaboration on the involved circumstances.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom