• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

HELP: Dark Magic and Light Magic

Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. He/Him
I want to include these in to my Fantasy Story, however, my problem is that I don't know what to do about Light Magic. I have ideas for Dark Magic (That's easy enough).

Last edited:
White Magic - TV Tropes

This is both a really basic and a really broad question and the best thing I think I can say here is that 1) the above link has just about every use of white magic in fiction and 2) you still might not want to click it. The most interesting magic systems tend to be those that are the least derivative, or at least those that play around with the tropes in clever and novel ways.

What kind of answer are you hoping for in this thread, @Greninjaman? I don't think it's reasonable to simply suggest entire concepts for magic to you, especially without knowing anything about what you have in mind. That would be a lot of effort that potentially wouldn't help you. After all, as Persephone rightly says, interesting fictional magic is non-derivative. I suggest that you spend some time thinking carefully about your issue — why you want light magic, what you think would constitute light magic, etc. — I'm sure you'll figure it out.

Sorry. What have in mind for Dark, is more akin to dark powers that fall under the same 'laws' as the rest of the magic.

It is all internal. As you use it, it drains your stamina making you tired. The power decreases over time as well as distance.

Okay. So, was there anything you wanted to ask (with a narrow scope) that I can help answer?

Otherwise, best of luck to you.

There is no "should," there is only the story you want to write. Do you want to include light magic? If so, then do so. It's up to you.

I think you could write some interesting ways in which dark and light could play, as there are different things that could constitute light and dark. For light, you usually have healing and protective spells, while for dark there are often offensive spells or more obscure or “forbidden” things like necromancy and possession.

Otherwise, you could attempt to go against the typical cliches instead. For example, you could have a dark magician who is actually a good guy and a light magician who is actually the bad one.

It really depends from what you are aiming for. Depending from the context, there are different paths that you could take.

Or maybe the schools of magic involve literal light and darkness? Like, using light and/or shadow to blind foes, weave illusions, sear foes with laser beams, stuff like that.

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom