• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Why do you love or hate a pokémon?

The only time the anime has really influenced my thoughts on a Pokémon was with Greninja, and that's a negative example. Greninja used to be my favourite of the Kalos starters before Ash-Greninja put me off the species by making Ash ridiculously good. I preferred him when he was the underdog; putting real pressure on any Champion even with that form unmastered was taking his oh-so-loved XY competence too far for me. The rematch against Wulfric only sealed this.

If I were to ever play one of the Kalos games again from the beginning, I'd now pick Chespin. Ordinarily I would still pick Froakie but not fully-evolving a Pokémon is something I wouldn't do in 99.9% of cases. Magneton in Gen VI is that one exception because it outspeeds all Talonflame when given a Choice Scarf.

Can't think of any off the top of my head that I hate.

As far as the ones I love I love golduck because of its design but also because of the episode Bye Bye Psyduck. I kinda wish that was Misty's Psyduck that did evolve. Also "Its just a pokemon version of Brock":p Best line ever!
I also loved heracross thanks to Ash's in the anime. You can't leave it and bulbasaur in the same room without it trying to suck the sap out of bulbasaur's bulb. :LOL:

Oshawott I think is an adorable Pokemon....
which I sadly could not say the same for Ash's Oshawott since half the time it's a pretty unlikable ass-hat.

That one scene where Pignite literally punched it in the face was so priceless.

Oshawott I think is an adorable Pokemon....
which I sadly could not say the same for Ash's Oshawott since half the time it's a pretty unlikable ass-hat.

That one scene where Pignite literally punched it in the face was so priceless.
I didn't watch all of BW. Skipped it, trying to get into it now. Can you tell me how bad his Oshawott is? From what I've seen so far he's kinda like Clemont's Chespin. Eat your food, then start a fight with the other pokemon. Pop out of its pokeball without trainer calling it out first. That sorta thing.

Last edited:
I didn't watch all of BW. Skipped it, trying to get into it now. Can you tell me how bad his Oshawott is? From what I've seen so far he's kinda like Clemont's Chespin. Eat your food, then start a fight with the other pokemon. Pop out of its pokeball without trainer calling it out first. That sorta thing.
It does bear some resemblance to Clemont's Chespin but it does fight a lot more and it can be really good at battling. Tbh I prefer Oshawott's personality.

I dunno really, unlike Chespin which was fine I just found Oshawott too obnoxious for my taste in general.

Kingler I love it because was younger I didn't care that it's sweep was bad writing I just liked that it was super cool and still feel sorry for it being underutilized.

I have similar feels towards Pidgeot.

The anime has without a doubt influenced what opinions I form about different Pokémon. It is the form of the franchise I'm more closely associated with, more-so than the games (have been playing for about 4 years only, while I have been following the anime ever since a kid). Hence, what I think about a Pokémon species is often directed by its anime perception. Almost every opinion about one which isn't its battle prowess comes from the anime, which is precisely another reason why I love watching the show so much.

Although I like both of them, I prefer Raichu over Pikachu, probably because 1) I've used one in many of my playthroughs, including my first ever Pokémon playthrough of LeafGreen, and 2) it combines both cuteness and coolness.

I hate Greninja in the anime because Ash's received a ridiculous amount of screen-time in XYZ that even the previous screen-time hog couldn't compete with. The whole Ash-Greninja form change is mainly what made the situation so bad since fans overhyped that thing's feats and still pretend that Greninja hitting Mega Gardevoir a few times meant that Ash was 100% on track to defeat a Champion. And the fact that many fans count Greninja as a reserve Pokemon when he has no practical means of rejoining Ash makes me cackle.

I hate Greninja in the anime because Ash's received a ridiculous amount of screen-time in XYZ that even the previous screen-time hog couldn't compete with. The whole Ash-Greninja form change is mainly what made the situation so bad since fans overhyped that thing's feats and still pretend that Greninja hitting Mega Gardevoir a few times meant that Ash was 100% on track to defeat a Champion. And the fact that many fans count Greninja as a reserve Pokemon when he has no practical means of rejoining Ash makes me cackle.
I hate Greninja because it hogged so much spotlight in the anime. Or, rather, I hate how many people hope for it to come back, when it's already gotten more than enough screentime already. Also, I much prefer Delphox, anyway.

I like Pidgeot because I thought it was cool that Ash caught it evolved, they are loyal to each other, and I like birds.

Pokemon I like more thanks to the anime: Bulbasaur, Charizard (post-Kanto), Mewtwo (ignoring Movie 16), Chikorita/Bayleef, Totodile, Unown, Lugia and Ho-Oh.

Pokemon I like less: Piplup, Arceus, Oshawott, Greninja, Zygarde and Marshadow. Lucario is a special case since its movie is the main reason I liked it in the first place, but later appearances have gradually made me tired of it.

For some reason, when I first saw the leaked images of the fully evolved Alola starters, I didn't really like Primarina's design, but once the first trailers of them came out, I fell in love with this mermaid, and it instantly became my favorite Alola starter. And its signature Z-Move just made it even better for me.

Also, at first I wanted to choose Rowlet, but I didn't like the designs of its evolved forms quite as much, so I switched to Team Popplio.

I first preferred Rowlet to its evolutions, but the anime frequently makes me either like Rowlet or hate it depending on the episode. The recent ones aiming for the latter.

I’ve got a newfound appreciation for Decidueye.

The anime totally ruined Lucario for me. It was decent back in the 8th movie because it was new, but then slowly things began to change when I saw tons of fans predict that Ash would get one back in DP; first people were pushing for Ash to receive Maylene's Lucario as a gift, then a few months later they were lobbying for Ash to get the Aura Sphere Riolu from the Ranger episodes, then came the Iron Island episodes and folks wanted Riley to gift Ash a Riolu egg. The whole thing kept getting more and more desperate and even though the Riolu/Lucario speculation settled down once BW began, it started up again in XY once Mega Lucario was introduced. It's like a never ending cycle.

The anime totally ruined Lucario for me. It was decent back in the 8th movie because it was new, but then slowly things began to change when I saw tons of fans predict that Ash would get one back in DP; first people were pushing for Ash to receive Maylene's Lucario as a gift, then a few months later they were lobbying for Ash to get the Aura Sphere Riolu from the Ranger episodes, then came the Iron Island episodes and folks wanted Riley to gift Ash a Riolu egg. The whole thing kept getting more and more desperate and even though the Riolu/Lucario speculation settled down once BW began, it started up again in XY once Mega Lucario was introduced. It's like a never ending cycle.
This is more like the fans ruined it for you, not the anime.

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom