• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S19 EP47: Till We Compete Again!

Oak and Delia together for that call, really puts more fuel on the fire of "Delia and Oak are dating/screwing/Oak is Ash's Dad" lol

Wait who's house is that, why did Sycamore know where to go to find Ash!?

Givonanni falling for the Trio's lies every single time and each time they get promoted, good times for Jessie and James, they must be loaded.

Good stuff with that Mega Stone Alain. Shoud've kept it though!

Aw all those feels at the leaving. Imagine they screwed up and missed their planes though... and damn those planes must be hella delayed if they all have time to look for Dedene. Just let Clemont and Bonnie do it and then ask on Whatsapp "did you find Dedenne?" "Yeah it was eating cake in the kitchen"

Aw it's a shame none of that will ever happen Bonnie, you'll be 6 forever

I thought they were gonna cut the kiss out lol. Ash might like what Serena looks like in the future... but based on his gen 7 design, Serena wont like future Ash! shame this is the last time we'll ever see a normal Ash Ketchum.

Cool way to end the series with the same battle as the start. Would've been a good time to have Bunnelby evolve.

Ooh nice recap. Now onto gen 7! shame it took so long, since everyone will have beaten gen 7 already lol. Least it means as much Lille, Mallow and Lana as possible for the next few years :D

Last edited:
Wow... I may not like the act itself of changing the soundtrack, and I may totally prefer the original score, but I still gotta admit the dub music was really well done here. The kiss scene uses Serena's recurring music cues, so no matter how baroque-y it may sound, it's fitting for the dub indeed. The instrumental medley for the credits is pretty good, and since it's two songs there, I can kinda see why they choose not to include any lyrics. I certainly wasn't expecting them to keep the entire sequence unedited, at that.

As for the post-credits scene, the composition sounds lovely, and it includes a subtle melody from the usual "To Be Continued" music from the dub, which is a nice detail. It's also quiet enough to hear the crickets in the background (TAKE THAT ANIMAL NAYSAYERS, DON'T TELL ME THOSE ARE KRICKETOT SOUNDS BECAUSE THEY AREN'T). I'm still a bit confused about the "And to our own way" though... is it Engrish or not? And even if it's gramatically correct, does it actually make sense? Does it sound 'poetic' for an actual English speaker?

Anyways, my only huge problem with the dub is that they replaced Team Rocket's motto music with their cheap, trashy, ugly, unethical, sacrilegious shitty spoof yet again. I mean come on, it's a remix of the classic motto music, why would you even do that? This is the last time it's heard, too! Literally unwatchable.

There's also Serena's dialogue, which I think it was well translated. The only notorious "change" here is Serena saying she wants to "become someone like Ash" instead of straight-up telling him "you're my goal", which is mostly just different wording rather than an actual rewrite. Ash being her goal sounds kinda vague, and considering Serena admires Ash as a person, this was the correct interpretation of Serena's words in my opinion. Think about it, if Serena's actual goal was literally to get Ash, it wouldn't be much fitting to admit so while explicitly leaving to improve her skills as a Performer / become a Coordinator.
Not to mention, thre's the second line: "you're gonna like the kind of person I'd grown into", so if you think her confession was somehow lost due to the translation of the first line, the second one pretty much makes up for it. In the end, it makes Serena sound less like just someone who wants to exist purely for Ash's sake, all while expressing the admiration she feels for him more directly. I totally prefer the dub's wording here.

Wait who's house is that, why did Sycamore know where to go to find Ash!?
That's Clemont and Bonnie's house. They usually stay there whenever they go to Lumiose City.

Anyways overall the XY series had a pretty bad dub, I'd say it was only better than Diamond and Pearl's dub (though that's a pretty low bar). Too many unnecessary edits and the voice performances were really bad, plus they started messing up the movie soundtracks again for the first time in over ten years. I have low, low expectations for the Sun/Moon dub, but maybe if they fire Cathcart I'll start watching regularly again.

I'd put DP's dub above XY's dub since DP's kept about 35% of the OST in the main Series (a lot of people think it was better than it really was about this aspect, when it wasn't that great) vs. about 10% in the XY main Series, but otherwise, they're also my least favorite Series in terms of the dub- too many (very) serious & glaring issues for me to enjoy them.

I don't have high hopes for SM's dub, since I was already very underwhelmed by the subpar acting & dialogue changes made, along with the Z Text removal in the preview, despite the OST being left alone for now, but as things stand I don't feel the SM dub has quite hit the lows of these two Series just yet.

Astounding finale. Everything was awesome. Great way to end the series.

Pikachu looked so cute smearing his face on the camera at the beginning. It was great to see Oak and Delia at the beginning. I could have done without that bit with Alain and Sycamore, but I guess it was nice for them to see them to see Ash and co off as well. I liked how Alain decided to get rid of the Mega Ring and Key Stone Lysandre gave him and planned go look for new ones on his own.

The Pokemon's goodbyes were so sweet. Why hasn't this been done before now anyway? It just made the goodbye that much better. I can't understand why on earth Chespin seemed so damn sad, but it was nice to see his moment with Pancham receiving one of his leaves. I'm glad Sylveon said goodbye to Bunnelby. I always worried that they'd forget about this friendship. Hawlucha crying was pretty...awkward. But overall it was nice to see all of the Pokemon bidding each other farewell. And Talonflame's voice actually sounded cool again. Dedenne mostly seemed sad because of how sad Bonnie was, and I liked that. It just shows how close they are. I just want to note that I really like how they had that guy almost step on Dedenne and freak out. That was a nice touch. Man, Bonnie I putting me in the feels. I always love her speeches and this one was certainly no exception. They're always so emotional and heartfelt, which I like considering how she's still quite young. I loved how she declared that she'd become a Performer like Serena (please do it), challenge Clemont for a badge, and have a battle with Ash. Sure, we'll probably never actually see these things, but it the fact that she wants to do them is nice enough on its own.

Serena's little goodbye "kiss" was...honestly pretty pointless imo. They didn't even show it so it's not even truly known if she kissed him or not, and nothing came out of it other than Bonnie, Clemont, and Pikachu's adorable reactions. It just ended in a second and then they were all back to waving like nothing happened. I suppose it was a nice ending for Amourshippers, but I would have liked a longer reaction from them. Whatever. I do have to say though that those airport screens that kept showing stuff like the starters were really cute:p

I liked the fact that Clemont and Ash had one more final battle with Pikachu and Bunnelby before he left and that they left the result unknown. I didn't like how we didn't actually see them say goodbye to each other. I mean, Clemont and Bonnie were the first people Ash met in Kalos. To not see their final goodbye was really disappointing. But seeing Goodra, Greninja, and the rivals at the end were nice additions. I'm guessing it was an error seeing Greninja in his normal form since he was shown using his Ash-Greninja Water Shuriken.

Lastly, the large clip show at the end was great. I sort of wish that some clips were replaced with more memorable ones, like Fletchling's capture instead of the gym battle that was lost, or something from Hawlucha's debut rather than crashing into Spritzee, but I was good with it. I liked that we saw Ash returning home late at night. Overall a wonderful finale.

I'm going to miss the XY gang. They were some of the most lovable and probably my favorite companions. But alas, time must go on and I'm quite excited for the future. 10/10 for a great finale and series:)

Finally, the end of XY.

I actually thought it was a relatively decent episode. I'm glad we got to see Oak and Delia calling Ash, considering they've both been totally MIA this series. It was only for about a minute, but still nice to see. It was super cute to see Pikachu squishing his face up against the screen and Professor Oak scolding him a bit for it. I thought that was a nice touch.

The Pokémon saying goodbye to each other was sweet, though I wasn't really thrilled with Dedenne running off. It felt like a rehash of DP's ending, but at least this one wasn't dragged out too long. Plus, it gave us Bonnie's speech, which I actually found to be pretty touching. It was nice to hear her exact plans once she's old enough to become a trainer (become a performer like Serena, win a badge from Clemont, and beat Ash in a battle.) Considering we never got any concrete plans from Max, other than just wanting to become a trainer, I did like that we have an idea of what Bonnie wants to do.

I also enjoyed each character's individual set of flashbacks. They weren't drawn out, and gave just enough of a look back to see where the characters have come from (although Serena's cemented my opinion that they really didn't do enough with her.) I like that we got to see what the rivals were up to at the same time...really gave a nice closure for everyone.

My biggest complaints were Serena's sendoff and the final flashback montage. Personally, I am so glad they changed Serena's lines from the Japanese version, because those were just awful, and a total degradation to her character. Honestly, I wasn't thrilled with the dub replacement either, but at least they were better than the original.

As far as the flashbacks were concerned, they were good choices, and I didn't think the montage dragged on or anything like that. My disappointment was mostly personal. As the montage went on, it reached the point where my interest in the series waned off, and I actually felt sad about it. The first few scenes from the beginning of the series put a smile on my face, because it reminded me of how invested I was in XY at the start and the high hopes I had for the series. Then as it continued, I saw the points where I became less and less interested in the series, and it just reminded me of all the wasted potential. I really wanted to like XY, but ultimately, this series just wasn't for me.

So, in the end, I think this was a nice final episode, but it doesn't change my opinion of the series overall. It was a HUGE improvement over BW's final episode, but I still think there were better departure episodes. I didn't feel much with this one. Just ready to move on.

That was a touching finale. I'm glad I finally got to see Serena kiss Ash. I loved how the ending showcased the entire XY cast, including Goodra and Greninja!

Finally, the end of XY.
It was nice to hear her exact plans once she's old enough to become a trainer (become a performer like Serena, win a badge from Clemont, and beat Ash in a battle.) Considering we never got any concrete plans from Max, other than just wanting to become a trainer, I did like that we have an idea of what Bonnie wants to do.
Actually, Max also had concrete plans: he wanted to be a great trainer like his father Norman (and Ash, as you said), reuniting with the Ralts he promised to catch as his Pokemon one day, along with wanting to challenge Ash to a battle one day. Not discounting Bonnie's goals or anything, but Max had his as well.

Actually, Max also had concrete plans: he wanted to be a great trainer like his father Norman (and Ash, as you said), reuniting with the Ralts he promised to catch as his Pokemon one day, along with wanting to challenge Ash to a battle one day. Not discounting Bonnie's goals or anything, but Max had his as well.

Ahh, you're right, I somehow forgot about those things! Clearly it's been too long since I gave AG a good, thorough re-watch. I'm not a huge fan of either character honestly (I think they're both just okay) but I do like that those goals are stated.

Just watched the episode. AH! THE FEELS!

Okay, we begin the episode with the group, calling Delia and Professor Oak on phone, or whatever that thing is. I don't remember seeing them for a long time, not even during the League, so it was nice to have them appear. I liked how Pikachu forced his face onto the screen, in a similar vein to V (Volt), the first Japanese XY opening. Also, appreciate Mairin and Alain going on a journey together. FINALLY! :):X3: Of course, Alain getting rid of his Key Stone was brought up, but I guess we knew about it already.

I LOLed at Team Rocket's reaction after successfully bluffing Giovanni with the clip they did. :ROFLMAO::D

The Pokémon bidding goodbye to each other was so SWEET! I AWWWed at Chespin and Pancham, and at Bunnelby and Sylveon greeting each other for the final time. :X3::cry: I can totally understand Dedenne not wanting to stay goodbye; it is always difficult to say bye to good friends, especially when you realize that they are going very far from you.

Then, comes the famous kiss between Ash and Serena. Though I am not an AmourShipper, I actually appreciate this form of development between Ash and Serena, seeing as how this was the primary reason for Serena leaving her home. Guess, Ash can no longer be called dense, eh? ;)

I liked how Ash and Clemont battled using the Pokémon they fought with in the first episode. Nice nod there, writers! (y)

Rest of the episode was just flashbacks, or, rivals and the two Pokémon, that is, Goodra and Greninja, doing what they are required to do. THIS WAS JUST PLAIN AWESOME, and pretty heart warming at the same time!

Though, in spite of everything, the part that moved me the most was the ending part, that is, when Ash enters his house and the XY series background music plays. I was so moved at this; I was about to cry, something which I don't do very easily. It was just so...brilliantly touching; that's all I can say now!

And so, it ends, the XY series. This series has been a piece of pure awesomeness and epicness, as the flashbacks in this episode clearly depict. Like every other series, for me, this series has moments which are brilliantly hilarious *cough*Gadget Festival*cough*, some which are sad *cough*Serena's haircut*cough* and the some which are outrageously disappointing *cough*Kalos League*cough*. All things considered, it is only fitting for me to say that, XY series is one of most beautiful series I have ever seen, and that it shall always be missed. :)

"Any final words?" There you go: LOVE YOU, XY! :love::love:(y):)

Um, excuse me, guys. In the XY anime series from the main anime, did you think Ash had mentioned any of his reversed Pokémon, including the ones that he currently has at Professor Oak's Laboratory and in training?

Um, excuse me, guys. In the XY anime series from the main anime, did you think Ash had mentioned any of his reversed Pokémon, including the ones that he currently has at Professor Oak's Laboratory and in training?
He didn't mention any of them. Only past pokemon he referenced is Dawn's Piplup.

There's also Serena's dialogue, which I think it was well translated. The only notorious "change" here is Serena saying she wants to "become someone like Ash" instead of straight-up telling him "you're my goal", which is mostly just different wording rather than an actual rewrite. Ash being her goal sounds kinda vague, and considering Serena admires Ash as a person, this was the correct interpretation of Serena's words in my opinion. Think about it, if Serena's actual goal was literally to get Ash, it wouldn't be much fitting to admit so while explicitly leaving to improve her skills as a Performer / become a Coordinator.
I always thought of it as some kind of a "double entendre." They used it before.

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom