• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pre-Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield Speculation & Leaks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Currently Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon provide more content than LGPE at a MUCH less cost.
Also content=/= difficulty. But here we're losing out on both of them so I find it justified.

We’re paying more for less content compared to previous entries. Not everyone isn’t fortunate enough to blindly throw money at GameFreak.

It cannot be transferred to Let's Go.

Is that why Masuda insists that these games are also for “traditional” Pokemon players?

It’s annoying how he’s pretending to appeal to long time fans of the series while removing so much that was added over the years.
Oh well i apologize for the mew then. I don’t know how I missed that one, but never came across that fact before.

As for the content I wasn’t referring to pokemon in general. I was consoles in general, and that’s the difference the switch is a handheld console. Not just a console. Why console games cost more I don’t get either but it’s not fair to expect them to drop the price when the other games on the console cost the standard $60.

Lastly it relates to the traditional player in the aspect that it’s gen one. At least that’s what they originally say, but the game play is to bring in new ones.

^_^’ sorry I don’t know why but it doesn’t want to let me break up the quotes.

The most concerning part for me is that the interview has revealed that Gamefreak equates challenge with tediousness now, since their offering for players who want a challenge is just capturing a Pokemon over and over again.
That's what worries me about the 2019 game and their current mindset.

Why console games cost more I don’t get either but it’s not fair to expect them to drop the price when the other games on the console cost the standard $60.

Then shouldn’t they step up with the content they provide? Or atleast provide enough content to compare with their previous $40 titles on an inferior console?
They’ve lessened the content for more price.

You would think, but that’s not what they see unfortunately. They just compare it to the other games on the console. I feel that way with most games truthfully.

You would think, but that’s not what they see unfortunately. They just compare it to the other games on the console. I feel that way with most games truthfully.
Even if you compare it to other Switch games, LGPE still falls flat in comparison.

Botw, Mario Odyssey, Splatoon 2, Smash ect... all have much more to offer than LGPE.

What he's attempting is a fool's errand. Mobile gamers and console gamers have completely opposite preferences and different spending habits. Mobile gamers prefer something quick and easy that they can play for cheap, whereas console gamers prefer games that are deep and immersive and are more willing to pay more to have that kind of experience. They can't really design a game that would completely bring both groups together because they would argue about how much content there should be, and especially the price point. Most mobile gamers wouldn't pay $60 for a game, and most console gamers would likely be suspicious of a game that's less than $60. Making the game accessible to casuals isn't a bad idea provided you offer options for more skilled players to take on more challenging tasks if you go more in depth, but outright targeting mobile gamers on a console game is just asking for trouble. Best to continue appealing to mobile gamers with Go and let them decide for themselves if they're interested in a full scale console game.

I don't understand why so many people in these forums are so insistent that Go players and VG players are two mutually exclusive groups. I play games on my iOS, on my 3DS and on my Switch - and in fact on my PC and board games. I enjoy BOTW, Pokémon USUM and Go (as well as just a simple game of Yatzy over tea with my girlfriend) - all in different and distinctive fashions. Just like people can enjoy both symphonies as well as simple pop music tunes. Dividing the fan base into opposing polarised camps with incompatible interests to prove a point isn't constructive in any measure.

Also, on a more general note, how many posts do you guys think it is possible to get in a row in a Gen 8 speculation thread before it dissolves into a bashing of LGPE for the umpteenth time?

Some games have launched on consoles without being the full $60. I think this mainly applies to ports, remakes, and digital-exclusive releases (and sadly a lot of titles in those categories are released full-price, but that's a discussion for another topic), but I don't see why it couldn't also apply to titles like LGP/E. They are lacking even by the standards of comparing to 3DS Pokemon games (which is really bad considering the Switch is a CONSOLE that can run games like Breath of the Wild). They're clearly cheaply made from their very concept through execution and are just here for a quick cash-in. No way in heck should these titles cost anywhere near $60. But they do, because Nintendo and GF know they can get away with doing it.

That's what worries me about the 2019 game and their current mindset.

I think, even if the Gen 8 games somehow do have many flaws even in the final build, and, also would be unchallenging, it would still open the door for them to make a better followup. It would just take time, but then it would eventually happen!

Overall though, i think the likelihood of Gen 8 exceeding everyones' expectations is actually very high!
Game Freak would be careful not to give anything away in interviews, or talk about the games in ways that imply they are better than they are.

Even if you compare it to other Switch games, LGPE still falls flat in comparison.

Botw, Mario Odyssey, Splatoon 2, Smash ect... all have much more to offer than LGPE.
I disagree with that. There are several full priced games on the switch that shouldn’t be octopath for example. I adored the demo, but come on those graphics and gameplay material are not $60 material. I also find splatoon 2 ridiculous for the price. As for smash I think it’s kinda ridiculous too. Not price wise but in general. I find the game ridiculous and boring, but that’s me, and not the point.

I disagree with content too. I feel like LGPE adds much more content then sun and moon. That’s why they did USUM after all. You get bigger interactions. Just because there isn’t much post game there is a lot of in-game material. It adds more character to the actual pokemon. It supposedly has a ton of mini games too. Although they have only announced one so I won’t stand by that one too much. Still I think there is plenty of material to make it worth the $60 tag. How would it be fair to mark it to $40 when every other game is $60. I wouldn’t. Besides it is Pokemon, and lets face it it never gets a price drop. I don’t own soul silver for this reason. I refuse to pay $40 for it when i can play the original.

I disagree with that. There are several full priced games on the switch that shouldn’t be octopath for example. I adored the demo, but come on those graphics and gameplay material are not $60 material. I also find splatoon 2 ridiculous for the price. As for smash I think it’s kinda ridiculous too. Not price wise but in general. I find the game ridiculous and boring, but that’s me, and not the point.

I disagree with content too. I feel like LGPE adds much more content then sun and moon. That’s why they did USUM after all. You get bigger interactions. Just because there isn’t much post game there is a lot of in-game material. It adds more character to the actual pokemon. It supposedly has a ton of mini games too. Although they have only announced one so I won’t stand by that one too much. Still I think there is plenty of material to make it worth the $60 tag. How would it be fair to mark it to $40 when every other game is $60. I wouldn’t. Besides it is Pokemon, and lets face it it never gets a price drop. I don’t own soul silver for this reason. I refuse to pay $40 for it when i can play the original.
Let me put it this way.

LGPE is removing:
-80% of the pokedex
-Breeding
-Wonder trade and GTS
-Abilities and items

And more.

It isn’t just about Postgame. The content in general is lacking compared to SM/USUM. Like, sure, walking Pokemon is neat, but it’s not enough to call LGPE an improvement or even on par content-wise with the 3ds games.

Last edited:
See and I don’t use any of that except breeding so none of it phases me. I don’t multiplayer anything, I definitely don’t trade except with my best friend. I could care less about battling competitions, and so on. To be honest from what I hear most players don’t Use that stuff much. The pokedex is a ridiculous excuse to. Most remakes still don’t include every pokemon available and I don’t think they should. It’s stupid to me. That region was the original so why should it include more than the original. It is a remake. None of that stuff was available with the original anyway.

See and I don’t use any of that except breeding so none of it phases me.
Good for you. For other people they do use these stuff and that’s why LGPE is not a good value to them.
The pokedex is a ridiculous excuse to. Most remakes still don’t include every pokemon available and I don’t think they should.
You can still transfer them from other games. In LGPE you can’t even do that. In FRLG, HGSS and ORAS you can still trade from other games and get the missing Pokemon.
That region was the original so why should it include more than the original. It is a remake. None of that stuff was available with the original anyway.
Mega evolution was not in the originals either, and yet...

See and I don’t use any of that except breeding so none of it phases me.

Doesn’t mean that other people don’t care for it. And even though you do not use these features, they’re objectively missing from these games and makes this:

I feel like LGPE adds much more content then sun and moon.
Look like a ridiculous statement.

Does LGPE introduce new 80+ Pokemon and forms? No.
A whole new mechanic like Z-Move and Regionsl Variants? No.
An entirely new type of Pokémon like Ultra Beasts? No.
A whole new story? No.
Two new evil teams? No.
Does it have breeding, IVs, old Pokémon? No.
Features like Pokepelago? No.
A refresh like feature for every Pokemon and not just your starter? No.

Cross evolutions like every remake has included? No.

It is an insult to everything new Sun and Moon has tried to say that it has less content than LGPE.

It has objectively less content than the other games.

As for the mobile I think it’s accurate. A lot of little kids play go on the parents phones (sick to me, but not my kids) I don’t know about you guys, but I had two older brothers and played on consoles and handhelds for as long as I can remember. What drew me in was games that were fairly easy for me to understand and play. Hard games were merely a frustration, but if you make a game they recognize and understand they will be excited and want to play, introducing a new generation to the game. Not all games have to be intense and challenging. Some of the best selling games are those which are fun and leisure.
There's a difference between "game that's not too difficult, but still has a good amount of content" and "game that's standard difficulty, but has less content".
Lastly it relates to the traditional player in the aspect that it’s gen one. At least that’s what they originally say, but the game play is to bring in new ones.
Gen 1 Pokemon never left the games, and we've been to Kanto in past games. If those games aren't appealing to "traditional players", why should LGPE be any different?
Having to battle six million pokemon to get one level is annoying as all get out. At least by catching them I’m doing something with my time.
This is super subjective. Some people find battling annoying because they don't enjoy grinding, other find catching multiple Pokemon annoying because they don't like to fill up their boxes. But this isn't something that's changed in LGPE-catching Pokemon for XP has been an option since Gen 6, and LGPE still has trainer battles to grind against. The variety of options is a plus for both games IMO.
How would it be fair to mark it to $40 when every other game is $60. I wouldn’t.
Switch games have a price range of free to over 100$. Game Guide - Nintendo Game Store While some of that price range is due to free games and special additions, there's still standard games that cost less than 60$, like Lego City Undercover (30$), Lost Sphear (50$), and the Lego Harry Potter collection (50$, and it's multiple games packaged into one).
Besides it is Pokemon, and lets face it it never gets a price drop. I don’t own soul silver for this reason. I refuse to pay $40 for it when i can play the original.
I'm really confused as to how you can say something like this, but still criticize other people for thinking 60$ for LGPE is too much? If you don't consider the new features in Soul Silver to be worth the price tag, why do you think a price tag 20$ more for LGPE is totally fair? Soul Silver has a good deal of the same new features LGPE adds-following Pokemon, new minigames, graphics upgrade-and while LGPE does add things SS doesn't, like customization, the same is true for SS, with story addons and more Pokemon.

Let me put it this way.

LGPE is removing:
-80% of the pokedex
-Breeding
-Wonder trade and GTS
-Abilities and items

And more.

It isn’t just about Postgame. The content in general is lacking compared to SM/USUM. Like, sure, walking Pokemon is neat, but it’s not enough to call LGPE an improvement or even on par content-wise with the 3ds games.
Yeah. LGPE is essentially more money for less content than the 3DS games.

The difference? Soul silver has been out for years and is a ds game. Not brand new, and still costs more than new 3ds games it’s stupid to compare the two price tags when I was saying it doesn’t drop the price for pokemon games.

Last edited:
This is the only part i’m arguing my case on because you’re going to ignore what i say anyway.
That’s very disingenuous, especially when you say this:
I have every reason to belief that i think it offers more content then sun and moon, because for me it does.
You’re literally ignoring what me and others have been saying about content.

The quantity of content isn’t something subjective, LGPE has far less content than SM for the reasons stated already. Whether or not you like the content is a whole different story.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom