• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review M21: The Power of Us

• There were two Generations shorts and an interview with Mr. Yuuta before the movie began. I was just waiting for the movie to begin already.
  • I noticed that the far-background characters were more animated than the near-background characters. Also, CGI Clefairies.
  • A lot of near-background characters were badly-drawn, too. I noticed a colouring error on a Quilava.
  • It reminded me of a gripe I've had with the franchise since Pokémon Super Mystery Dungeon: "Legendary Pokémon" and "Mythical Pokémon" sound more like things the characters are contractually obliged to say before certain Pokémon names than natural parts of dialogue.
  • My favourite character was the news announcer lady.
  • How did Risa get back to Fuula City so fast from the mountains?
  • I like how Eevee's leg injury paralleled Risa's brother's, but as far as I know, he only appears in the first scene.
  • Torin looks like Trip from Power Rangers Time Force.

Team Rocket's here for nostalgia, because they're about as iconic as Ash, and you don't have to design more new characters for a movie already bloated with them

Now if only they could have put this much effort into fleshing out the SM cast...

Funnily enough, this movie featured the first significant redesign of the Rocket trio since their pallet swap in Best Wishes!

There were two Generations shorts and an interview with Mr. Yuuta before the movie began. I was just waiting for the movie to begin already.

Oh right, I have a video of it recorded on my iPhone in the theater. I haven't uploaded it yet because I am not sure if it will last against a copyright strike.

While I'll always be bias toward Mewtwo Strikes Back, if I had to judge purely from a cinematic standpoint I'd say this may just be the best Pokemon movie to date! I love that they're finally changing things up for the movies and realizing the franchises's potential. Also I can't tell you how happy I was that they kept Shinji Miyazaki's score! Only problem I had with the dub was the fact that they're still changing the character's names. I just don't understand this practice. It's as if they think kids will walk out of the theater if every name doesn't sound American.

• There were two Generations shorts and an interview with Mr. Yuuta before the movie began. I was just waiting for the movie to begin already.
I recall one of the questions he was asked was, "what do fans like most about the movies?" and I immediately thought to myself, "when they start."

On another note, I would recommend staying for the post-credits scene when you watch the DVD or the Disney broadcast if they show it. A lot of people missed it as we've never had a post-credits scene before this. I wasn't expecting one myself, I just like staying until the end of the credits anyway so I don't miss anything I paid to see, but this one certainly worth staying for.

On another note, I would recommend staying for the post-credits scene when you watch the DVD or the Disney broadcast if they show it. A lot of people missed it as we've never had a post-credits scene before this. I wasn't expecting one myself, I just like staying until the end of the credits anyway so I don't miss anything I paid to see, but this one certainly worth staying for.

I enjoyed the brother/sister relationship between Risa and Rick, one of the reasons the end scene made me laugh

@BigDocFan Blu-Rays aren't region-locked.

In the cinema I saw it in, the lights came on during the final scene.

Thanks to Disney XD I was able to see the movie today. :D I went into this film knowing only bare minimum; it's got a bunch of characters and a bunch of stories and they all come together to save the day.

I must say that overall I enjoyed it. The multiple characters and subplots were well done and I didn't find it to be too much. In a movie I like I worried about it possibly being too much all at once, but I felt that everything fit together well. However, if I had to pick my least favorite it wold have to be, Toren. Sorry, but he really didn't feel all that interesting. A nerdy, shy guy who gains confidence is one of the biggest cliches on the planet so I wasn't as intrigued by him as the other characters. Not to say he was a bad character or anything, just the one I found the least interesting of the movie group.

I loved Callahan and Harriet though. Callahan was great. The only thing I knew about him beforehand was that he was a liar. I immediately thought he'd be the typical 'liar for his own self gain', but I was surprised to see that everything he did was to impress his sickly niece. If you're going to be a liar, at least do it for a good reason :p, and he did. And thankfully, none of his lies were really major anyway.

Harriet was a great character too. I did feel that for someone who was supposed to hate Pokemon she was presented as being rather soft. She really didn't do much to keep them away from her. I know that deep down it was for her own reasons, but still, I feel they could have made her a bit harsher to that herd of Pokemon that kept stalking her.

On that note, I must ask, what's with these past movies and killing off Pokemon in tragic backstories? :confused: First Luxray freezes to death saving Sorrel, then Snbbull gets engulfed in flames giving Harriet that key.

But anyway, R.I.P hero doggo. :cry:

Risa and Margo were nice. I liked that Margo wasn't just some totally helpless little girl and helped hide Zeraora from the citizens, even sabotaging the festival to do it. Risa was so pretty. :D Anyway, I thought it was a nice touch that she was a track runner and used that skill to save the day. I did find it a bit weird that she was supposed to be catching the Eevee for Rick, but she never ended up giving it to him. I guess we could assume she finally gave it to him later, but still, I thought that would happen on screen.

I couldn't believe Rick was that news dude. I was getting annoyed by him the entire movie wondering 'who is this random ass and can he shut up for a minute?', and then I was shook to find out it was him. :ROFLMAO: I legit did not expect that. And how did no one in that hospital ever find out o_O Unless they did, but just didn't care.

Last, but not least...Ash. I was really surprised with how little of a role Ash actually had. It's not a bad thing in the slightest. Obviously Ash always has the biggest roles so it's always nice to see him take a back seat. I guess I just naturally expected him to do more. Honestly, Toren felt more of the hero of this movie since it was his studies that helped them find out Margo stole the sacred flame (and also revealed Zeraora) and then healed all of the Pokemon in the end. (Then Harriet and Callahan actually sent out the healing spores. And Risa was the one who summoned Lugia to save the day. And Zeraora saved most of the Pokemon and citizens on its own). Ash kind of just felt like the glue that kept everyone together, but didn't do all that much himself. Which again is totally fine, just not what I was expecting.

I'd give this film an 8/10. Aside from the little things I mentioned earlier, the film would have also been better had TR not be there. As usual, they provided nothing of interest and their role could have easily been filed by less annoying movie exclusive characters. But like I said, overall the movie was good.

About that ending scene between Risa and Rick:
I really like how the movie makes the effort to drop hints that Rick is the Pokémon Channel host from the beginning. When we first see him he's uploading a video about Fula City to their world's Youtube equivalent, and when he tries to convince Risa to go to Fula City he feigns crying, burying his eyes in his arm, an action the Pokémon Channel host also performs in the first clip we see of him.

The movie in general is pretty good at dropping hints, like Margo looking worried after her father tells her the festival will reopen tomorrow.

Was great to see Typhlosion in the anime again, even if it was briefly

Out of interest, can anyone list the Pokemon that spoke, I heard Politoed, Sunflora and Magikarp among many

I FREAKING LOVED THIS MOVIE! Ash was a source of inspiration for all the people he met! There was action, there where emotions. tbh, I can't say the time I enjoyed a pokémon movie like this one. Pokémon power is amazing lol! It felt a bit odd for a pokémon movie. Team Rocket wasn't really needed in this movie. And I normally ship Ash and Serena, but I would also ship Ash and Risa. The artstyle was amazing (not as amazing as XY/XYZ, but still amazing!) And the music actually fits the movie due that they keep the orginal music. I won't even complain that Ash didn't use other pokémon that Pikachu because in this movie, that was not needed. And the pokémon mirroring the trainers, was also amazing. The voice acting was amazing! 9/10 because of TR. This is my favorite movie. I wonder what Movie 22 will bring us, where was Ash heading at the end of the movie? THIS IS AN AMAZING MOVIE!

That's it Jessie, show off that bod! (the rule 34 artists are gonna feel some vindication)

Oh great, the Pokemon version of Mr. Satan

Man, why couldn't Margo or Risa's VA have voiced Lillie on the Show...:unsure:

That awkward moment you realize this was promoting the Let's Go duo before they were even announced :confused:

Having Pokemon attack a small child? The spirit of Hunter J nods in approval.

I approve of all the Johto Pokemon present (y)

Team Rocket's stupidity is going to get us all killed! :eek:

Zerorora's nightmare is nightmare fuel :eek:

*watches Snubull scene* Well shit, son...o_O

Good ol' Metronome. And go figure this Togepi does more in less than a minute than Misty's EVER did :p

This sucker's lousy with game items and I love it! :love:

There better not be any magic resurrection tears this time...oh, good there aren't.

Hi Lugia! Bye Lugia!

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom