• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Name It Game: want help naming your lonely boats?

What should Ash's Bulbasaur and May's Venusaur be called?

• Seminalshipping

Votes: 4 6.2%
  • AvantGardeshipping

Votes: 16 24.6%
  • Bombshellshipping

Votes: 4 6.2%
  • Inquisitionshipping

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • GildedLilyshipping

Votes: 31 47.7%
  • Other (please note and drop suggestion)

Votes: 9 13.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This has been closed by Administrators due to the fact that some people might not want to be shipped with others etc. It has been done quite recently.
Wait, you mean that the list was shipping forum members? Ok, that makes sense then that they closed it. Still, it seems like that was the most up to date reference, since the Bulbagarden website was time-stamped to have been last updated in 2016.

Wait, you mean that the list was shipping forum members? Ok, that makes sense then that they closed it. Still, it seems like that was the most up to date reference, since the Bulbagarden website was time-stamped to have been last updated in 2016.
Yes, the thread had some of that. We decided it would be best to close it due to (perhaps) changing opinions. Also people may not ask permission of others first and subsequently may not appreciate being shipped.

Wait, am I missing something? Why not just delete the offending posts, lock the thread, and create a new "no shipping members" rule? Why close the whole thread? :( It was a very useful reference, with archival information like timestamps for each ship name and everything. But I guess what's done is done.

What's the ship name for Anabel/Looker? I've seen the name "FallerShipping" going around on Tumblr and other websites, but I think it might be a similar quagmire to the naming situation for Looker/Nanu, where nobody seems to be able to agree between 1000krShipping, InterpolShipping, or PoliceShipping.
I've always felt like ship naming conventions should be descriptivist rather than prescriptivist, since it doesn't seem to matter so much what name the "official" shipping list has chosen if nobody actually uses it that way and never has, especially in the case of rare pairs between side characters. For example, I don't think I've ever seen anyone create Anabel/Moon fanwork and tag it as "FallerShipping" even though that's what the official list says it is. In fact, I don't think I've ever seen anyone create Anabel/Moon fanwork at all... though, surprisingly, there is a published Anabel/Mina doujinshi floating around somewhere. Actually, is there a ship name for Anabel/Mina? I have no idea where to even start with that, naming-wise.

Anabel/Looker is officially ChiefShipping, and your suspicions are correct. I see where you're coming from re: the descriptivist/prescriptivist debate. (Matt/Tabitha anyone? In that case use of the fan-preferred name has completely superseded the official one.) I think the reason why we have such a hard rule about changing or adding names is because no matter how it's done, it inadvertently opens up the idea that any name on the list can be "challenged" if fans don't like it. Fans can be VERY pushy and things can get VERY messy. I feel like the risk is not worth it just to change/add a handful of names on a list of thousands. Cases like Anabel/Looker and Looker/Nanu are exceptional – the vast majority of the time, the list does its job of steering the fandom into using the official name when a pairing with multiple names comes onto the scene.

tl;dr: I think the ship naming conventions are fine as they are. But I'm open to hearing arguments and suggestions on how to fix this issue. It's something that interests me too.

And Anabel/Mina is unnamed. I wish I had suggestions!

I can see why changing ship names can be problematic, especially when they have perceived value judgements pushed into the names (e.g. ships with "best", "worst", "true", etc. in the name have the potential for abuse) or have historical precedent. At the same time, I've seen a lot of ships that literally have zero content anywhere but have ship names, while other ships that are more popular don't have one at all. Maybe there should be some kind of rule that any kind of content for the ship actually exists before naming it, rather than just someone smashing characters together and saying "Hey, here's a cool pun for a ship between these folks! Pity nobody ever has or ever will create something for it!"

To be honest, Anabel/Mina is such a crack ship to me that I have no idea for names for it either. But it actually has a published, printed doujinshi out... which is a lot more than most of these ships have (sadly).

The Japanese fandom's shipping name conventions are so much easier to navigate... but you unfortunately have to have an understanding of the characters' Japanese names to begin with, and also have to figure out which order people prefer.

It would be nice to have a living reference of "official" ship names that doesn't depend on a single person to keep it updated here though, since real life obligations will obviously get in the way and it's unreasonable to have just one person maintain all of the entries.

Wait, am I missing something? Why not just delete the offending posts, lock the thread, and create a new "no shipping members" rule? Why close the whole thread? :( It was a very useful reference, with archival information like timestamps for each ship name and everything. But I guess what's done is done.
We have decided that some of the ships in the thread are not appropriate for the forums. Furthermore, some ships may not be appreciated by people especially if they don't know about them and ships could interfere in people's feelings. This could cause an upsetting environment which we want to avoid. If you have any concerns, feel free to message any Super Moderator or Administrator.

Just to confirm, this is for shipping users not made-up characters. :)

Is this the right place to come to submit ship names? The official list seems up to date, but the Guestbook is a total nightmare of spam posts, so leaving a message there is out of the question. It looks like the tumblr hasn't been touched in a year, so I'm not prepared to submit that way.

Oh man, I didn't even realize that the official list had a guestbook. If you slog through the spam for a few dozen pages, there's actually a couple suggestions from a year ago that don't seem to be implemented, which surprised me. It's a pity there doesn't seem to be a spam filter, because having a suggestions page like that (i.e. one that was actually updated) would be really nice.
Has anyone gotten in touch with the people who run the tumblr? Are they still alive?

My favorite from the guestbook: LonelyOldManShipping - Nanu and fifty Alolan Meowth (I have a painfully obvious Nanu bias which you can see clearly from my post history and sum of my artistic output, lol)

Looks like people were attempting to still use the Guestbook to suggest or ask for names, but it just got hit by a bunch of spambots instead. In any case, I'm just going to throw out there the ship names I wanted to submit so at least they're written down somewhere.

PaintItBlackShipping - Mina x Gladion
MoonlitPledgeShipping - Lisia x Gladion

I don't think I need to explain my thinking behind 'paint it black' (I don't even ship it, but it needed a name).
Moonlit Pledge is the Cool Dark-type 'Spectacular Talent' move in ORAS and it seemed really fitting for them both. I love me some nevermet ships (like 80% of my ships are nevermet ships).

I've seen "ResearchEthicShipping" be used for Colress x Faba before and there doesn't seem to be a name in use for them otherwise/the name isn't taken by any other ship.

I'm trying to decide whether "SpiritombShipping" or "SableyeShipping" would be better for Nanu x Acerola (yes, it is a highly immoral ship if taken romantically, considering Acerola probably isn't closer to the 18-19 year old side of "trial captain age" and the whole guardian-ward thing they have in the anime, but... people have made ship names for platonic pairings, right? glances around nervously) since those are both Dark/Ghost dual-type Pokémon. I'm leaning more towards Sableye though since they both have a Sableye in their teams (only in Sun and Moon though, in USUM Acerola's is replaced by a Banette). Either way, I feel like the relationship the two of them have is significant enough to warrant a name; the Japanese name for their ship (クチアセ) is full of cute platonic art so I'm guessing it's ok?

Blue (game) & Yellow (Special)

Red (game) x Yellow is AlmostShipping. A Tumblr Fankid blog has this ship.
Another fankid blog endgamed Green/Leaf x Yellow, and the ship name was CrushedWorldShipping.

About Let's Go shippings
I think the names can be like this:
  • Chase and Elaine: BackInKantoShipping
  • Trace and Chase: PalletFriendsShipping
  • Trace and Elaine: DashDrawShipping
  • Pikachu (partner) and Eevee (partner): Let'sGoShipping
  • Chase and Red: ParallelShipping
  • Elaine and Red: InvisibleShipping
  • Chase and Blue (male): ColorfulShipping
  • Elaine and Blue (male): BipolarJourneyShipping
  • Chase and Green (female): MysteriousCaveShipping
  • Elaine and Green (female): GhostTreeShipping

Can I get a name for Kiawe’s Turtonator x Mallow’s Tsareena pwease? :’)
Alolasunshipping

What about Sonia x Leon
Don't say Galarshipping , SwShtrailershipping , pokedirectshipping because those are ridiculous nor childhoodshipping because it is also used for amourshipping

Can someone give me a name for Iris x Leon

cause they look similar
As the champions of Unova and Galar, I think the name should reference the special relationship between the US and UK. Exactly what it would be though, I don't know. Too bad AtlanticShipping is already taken.

Back
Top Bottom