• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

RANDOM MESSAGES 15: Go Storm Area 51...you weirdos

What will you find in Area 51?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've never Shiny hunted, and probably never will. Like I've never used Facebook or Twitter.
ditto.gif

Get the reference?
I've never caught a single shiny at all (apart from in Pokémon Go), and I've never set out to do so. But then again, I've only played three of the main Pokémon games before (Gold, Ruby and Fire Red, all via an emulator), and I didn't finish any of them, so I haven't really had much chance.
In unrelated news, I've been blocked from Bulbapedia for one week due to edit warring. The good part is that the other side of the edit war, a user named Playerking95, also got blocked for a week, and has a way longer history on edit warring that has already earned him a permanent ban in the Archives and Forums, and is ever so close for getting blocked permanently from Bulbapedia as well.

So, in other words, expect to see me even more in here for the 168 hours, give or take.
I suppose you could try appealing the block (if you can).
I've actually edited Bulbapedia before (not disclosing the account name). It didn't take long for me to give up. I definitely prefer it here anyway.

I've never caught a single shiny at all (apart from in Pokémon Go), and I've never set out to do so. But then again, I've only played three of the main Pokémon games before (Gold, Ruby and Fire Red, all via an emulator), and I didn't finish any of them, so I haven't really had much chance.
If the one Shiny I encountered and caught in UM is any indication, I don't think completing the main storyline has any effect on whether or not you encounter a Shiny...

But... (sorry, I couldn't resist it because the text in your quote was unusually large) ...I'm sure some other people (not just you) have encountered a shiny before they've completed the game before. Anyway, there are probably some people out there who have caught thousands of Pokémon without getting a single shiny.

ditto.gif

Get the reference?
Yeah. I got it. :p
I've got several Shiny Pokémon in my 3DS games. My first random Shiny (i.e. not the Red Gyarados) was a Banette in X. I found it while I was just starting my day, so for a second I thought I was dreaming. I also later got a Shiny Lanturn and Octillery when I tried chain fishing just to see what it felt like, a Shiny Mightyena at the Friend Safari, some generous person also traded me a Shiny Flygon, and I managed to also grab a Shiny Gourgeist off of the GTS. In Omega Ruby, I didn't catch any Shinies myself, but my GTS finds include a Shiny Beedrill and Shiny Thundurus (got that one in exchange for a Sewaddle!). Oh, and I also found a random Shiny Dunsparce last year in my emulated version of HeartGold.
...Admittedly, I didn't know him personally.
Me neither. I saw their name a few times while lurking on the forum list, but that's about it.
I expected as much. I just wanted to know what kind of user he was...
Hey guys, you're welcome to discuss your own bans and warnings all you want since that's your business, but let's avoid bringing up other people's since that can quickly devolve into disrespectful or gossipy territory.

Thanks
...Killjoy. Why couldn't have you waited for a couple more minutes so that I could've finished this post first and gotten an answer to it?
I suppose you could try appealing the block (if you can).
My talk page has been blocked too. I'll just wait. I didn't have anything big planned anyway.

I shaped myself a lot of negative feelings towards anime during the Johto Saga...

I mean...
good writing, rivals, yadda dada, who the heck cares if 70% of the episodes was TR doing the same thing?

Yeah, sure. There was a couple episodes about something else, like tournaments or somethin', but that doesn't heal the anime from the fact that even the good episodes had too much TRio doing the same thing in it.

Which is a shame, because they're really nice characters. SM TRio are honestly at their best.
Although I haven't seen it completely, to me, the Johto saga was basically season 1 done better, fixing things like the pacing in between Badges and Ash's relationship with Gary. However, it still suffered a lot from the same faults as season 1, like insignificant fillers and Team Rocket occasionally just making clowns of themselves.

Also, their clownery was honestly made even worse in Generation III, where they were often insignificant to the episode's overall plot, and Jessie took part on Contests only for her to always try to cheat in some way and and always lose. You could always be sure that she wasn't getting the Ribbon. DP made her actually win Contests legitimately and made Team Rocket itself much less of a joke.

If I can say one small good thing BW did, it's that Team Rocket, even after returning to their sillier ways, now only appears if they have some kind of purpose in the episode's plot, instead of being forced into an episode just because.
Yeah, even as someone who adores them, I get really tired of the 'stealing Pokemon' formula in older seasons unless it's something creative. Even the ultimate Team Rocket fan, Takeshi Shudo himself, didn't like how the higher ups treated them and how they got reduced to a joke in Johto when he wanted them to be the stars. Still Johto had really good episodes with them too like "Ignorance is Blissey", "Charizard's Burning Ambitions", "The Fortune Hunters", "The Poke Spokesperson", "The Wayward Wobbuffet", "Fly me to the Moon", "Plant it now, Diglett later", the Lugia three-parter, "Dues and Don'ts", and "Will the Real Oak Please Stand Up?" (even though the ending to that last one is a complete dues ex machina) that I wouldn't want to lose. I just wish more episodes like the aforementioned existed in Johto and AG.

AG however, pushed it to a whole other level. They only had two episodes to themselves! Even the biggest Team Rocket fans I've met don't like to talk about AG.

I guess so, I just wish SM didn't have so many instances where they disappear for multiple episodes in a row. I'm fine if the episodes are plot important or have many other characters in them and they don't appear but if it's an episode that could benefit from or just have them in the donut stand then I'm sad. I want to see as much of Mimikyu, Mareanie, and Stufful as possible before SM ends! Other than that, I haven't enjoyed watching them this much since DP.
I never had enough pateince to reach DP. I was always frustrated with Pokemon anime logic, but after that one episode (AG52) I just had enough. Basically, in this episode Ash was introduced to the concept of "Cheering", which turned out to be fake- in reality, "cheerleaders" were actually making Pokemon like Minun use moves like Helping Hand, and they hid those Pokemon inside drums for the cheat to work.

When the cheat was uncovered, Ash engaged in a fight with Team Rocket, where he said something like "My Pokemon are stronger than yours, and we do not need any stupid, fake cheering to prove it!"

But then, Ash's Pikachu was beaten up and close into defeat- so what happened? Thatcher's (who was there the whole episode) had his Pokemon use Helping Hand. After Ash had won, he had celebrated his victory, of course.

So let me set this straight. The false cheering was Minun using Helping Hand. Ash declared his superiority over TR because "he doesn't need cheering"- he doesn't need Minun (or Plusle, both, whatever) using Helping Hand. But in the end, he litelary couldn't win without a Pokemon using Helping Hand. And he celebrated a victory achieved by such... hypocrisy. Not to mention it was a victory over TR. The same people he has beaten up 200 times prior to the epidode.

I was flippin pissed, that was just the peak of how illogicall and morally incorrect an anime episode can get.
Understandable. Oh gosh, do I remember that one! Even at the age I was when I first saw it, I was like, "uh what?"
There are several instances where the Rocket trio doesn't succeed, even when they by all accounts should succeed, just in hopes that the audience would find amusement at their constant failures. One such case is all the way back in season 1: they had actually managed to get a hold of Misty's Togepi and presented it to Giovanni, but he just asked "What does this Pokémon do?" completely missing the fact that it was a super rare Pokémon and probably worth its small weight in gold!

As for the Granbull episode, yeah. It also displayed another thing with the early Team Rocket that I hated: Ash refusing to believe that they could be anything but unfair. He believed that they were unwilling to give back Granbull, when it clearly was just refusing to let go of the robot Meowth's tail!
While I do agree that there are times it feels like the writers don't have them succeed for funsies, there are times where I feel like the writers want Team Rocket to win but they can't because either plot or back during OS, I guess there was some rule that the bad guys weren't allowed to win so they're forced to make them lose. The biggest example I can think of is the Princess Day Festival where you can tell that the writer (who's pretty famous among Team Rocket fans for being the best TRio writer in terms of characterization, especially Jessie, and writing a lot of episodes focusing on Team Rocket's friendship) wanted Jessie to win but he wasn't allowed to so he had to pull out a dues ex machina to make his favorite character lose but made sure she got the better prize in the end.

Urgh, that episode does sound frustrating. I haven't seen the episode but reading the synopsis...yeah. Honestly anyone who says Ash has regressed in SM needs to watch SM 58 and then go back and watch "Ignorance is Blissey" or "A Poached Ego". It becomes clear how much Ash has changed over time.
You should seriously watch DP. Of course, it felt better to watch it over time when it was going on, but even through rewatching, I can guarantee that it's pure gold most of the time.
Agreed. Aside from all of the stuff going on on Ash's and his friends side, Team Rocket get a lot of good stuff in it once the second season starts. Not only do they get 12 (13 if you count DP 55) focus episodes, but DP gives us the last Team Rocket goodbyes (hoping that SM does this justice when it's time to say goodbye to Bewear and Stufful), Jessie and James get more backstory, some great Team Rocket related characters return for so far the last time, they try to bring in Mondo from the CD Radio drama (or at least they create the closest character they can to him), they get an awesome friendship episode in DP 117(or "Rocket Gang Breakup?!"), and Jessie not only earns five Ribbons but she really puts her all into her Contest career and her appeals are amazing.

Not to mention, in the Japanese version, the TRio undergo some development. Once the second season of DP starts, the TRio's bond with each other begins to develop, especially after DP 117, and they become a lot closer with each other. Not only does Jessie develop in her Contest Career to the point where she refuses to accept a ribbon that she considers is being given to her out of pity but after DP 117, her character starts to soften and she grows less guarded about her vulnerabilities around James and Meowth. James also begins to develop in that he starts to become a lot more self confident, earning the team several victories whether it be earning money at a carnival game or entering something he's never competed in before and not only beating Dawn at it but winning it the first time he ever tries it.
Wobuffet village episode-
the basic rule was that no one is supposed to take a first step in battle, because that's how Wobuffet acts- he only counterattacks. That means tho that if someone makes the first move, you are permitted to counterattack. So why the flip were they standing behind when those thugs attacked them? They made the first move, a real Wobuffet would couterattack! But no, they stayed behind because "Wobuffet doesn't fight?". He does, he only doesn't move first, for crying out loud! By staying behind, those people "disrespected" their own stupid, Wobuffet based right more than they'd do by fighting back.
Ugh, even though I like Team Rocket's part in the episode, I also really dislike how the episode executes it. That episode gets worse by suddenly turning around at the end and going "Hey since we're outside of the village, we can fight now."

Have you seen the new Ducktales show? That’s been awesome so far.
I haven't seen it but I've heard good things about it.

Good luck with the Shiny hunting ME, I've never done it before but I've heard it's hard.

Last edited:
While I do agree that there are times it feels like the writers don't have them succeed for funsies, there are times where I feel like the writers want Team Rocket to win but they can't because either plot or back during OS, I guess there was some rule that the bad guys weren't allowed to win so they're forced to make them lose. The biggest example I can think of is the Princess Day Festival where you can tell that the writer (who's pretty famous among Team Rocket fans for being the best TRio writer in terms of characterization, especially Jessie, and writing a lot of episodes focusing on Team Rocket's friendship) wanted Jessie to win but he wasn't allowed to so he had to pull out a dues ex machina to make his favorite character lose but made sure she got the better prize in the end.
And that Deus Ex Machina was Psyduck. I personally never liked the Psyduck gag. I found the whole thing of it popping out on its own unfunny, annoying, and nonsensical. As Suede has joked, what's stopping Misty from recalling it every time it pops out? And speaking of Suede, he actually does a really nice analysis of Misty and Psyduck's relationship in his review of Bye Bye Psyduck, also calling the show out on keeping said relationship in its unhealthy stage until Sun & Moon, hundreds of episodes later, just for the sake of the gag.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom