• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh Gen8 fossil discussion thread

Oh no, I know what they're based off. I am a gigantic nerd and retain dumb info like that after watching history/discovery channel/national geographics as a kid.

Totally head-canon that most of the Galaran funds go into AWESOME SPORTS STADIUMS and the sciences are neglected. Hence, not the best education for scientists. Smashy smashy fossil bits together. Pull dex description out behind. MM. That's good science!

I love the fossil concept. Admittedly they look ridiculous, but I like them. I'm also happy to welcome our first non-rock fossil pokemon.

I think that Dracozolt and Arctovish look the most close to normal looking pokemon, but I love them all.

I do like that they’re not Rock-type and I like 3/4 of the designs (Arctovish just looks too generic compared to the other 3 and Ice/Water is overdone), but what I don’t like is that they are 4 single-stage Pokémon instead of two evolution lines.

I guess the mix-n-match thing is unique, but I’d rather do without the gimmick if it meant having more evolvable Pokémon.

I woud hope gen 9 creater fossils that could form change during battle....
not actual megas but form changes....

Imagine if you could switch during battle with this gen 8 forms? Between the forms... via using a item or move.

Hope past fossils only get Megas or G-max forms.

I honestly kind of appreciate the fossils a bit more now, since I've learned that the restoration is done by some rando with a machine in the middle of a route, as opposed to in an actual museum or lab. Bonus points for the NPC's name being a pun on "careless". I got Arctozolt, and the poor thing literally shakes because it wants to die its bottom half is so cold. I feel bad.

Still doesn't make up for the ugly designs, but it's really amusing to me, in a dark humor kind of way.

I honestly kind of appreciate the fossils a bit more now, since I've learned that the restoration is done by some rando with a machine in the middle of a route, as opposed to in an actual museum or lab. Bonus points for the NPC's name being a pun on "careless". I got Arctozolt, and the poor thing literally shakes because it wants to die its bottom half is so cold. I feel bad.
You're not helping how I feel about those fossils...

Still doesn't make up for the ugly designs, but it's really amusing to me, in a dark humor kind of way.
That reminds me of the rumors about the fossil guy is sun and Moon. No new fossils, but Jurassic Park nerd in the middle of a route. O wonder if that was a call back

How is the execution bad? They do exactly what they should; represent a weird and whackey mix of parts.

They are not comparable to other fossils; they're their own thing (Undiscovered Egg group and genderless and all that, as well).

Ironically; Inventing 4 Pokémon that are complete would take away from these new 4 Pokémon, in my opinion.

Not an anime-fan, but I do wonder how it will handle them.

TL;DR: They do exactly what they should and are their own thing uncomparable to other fossils.

Ironically; Inventing 4 Pokémon that are complete would take away from these new 4 Pokémon, in my opinion.
I don’t see why having at least one correct combination or two while keeping the whacky combinations would take away.
I'd have loved the concept if there was at least one choice that was coherent as well as the whacky combinations.

I don’t see why having at least one correct combination or two while keeping the whacky combinations would take away.
I'd have loved the concept if there was at least one choice that was coherent as well as the whacky combinations.
The individual parts look quite "bland" and generic 'elements meet dinosaur'-ish; they would've looked quite bland when correctly combined, as well. The sum of the parts (the mismatches) look better in that regard; a combination of different bright colour palettes as well as its whackyness which fit the theme. The different types of the combinations need to stick out, to make sure it looks somewhat clashing and whackey and to make you aware it's basically a chimera.

This is, of course, my personal take on the designs.

Last edited:
The sum of the parts (the mismatches) look better in that regard; a combination of different bright colour palettes as well as its whackyness which fit the theme. The different types of the combinations need to stick out, to make sure it looks somewhat clashing and whackey and to make you aware it's basically a chimera.
Well, I never said that the chimera elements had to go. They could create at least one coherent choice along with the mid-matched option.

The probability of these four inspirations getting made into separate fossil Pokemon is also close to zero now, and many people wanted a Velocirator Pokemon but got... this.

Eh, I feel giving the player any 'correct' formation would've taken away from the concept, at least for this set. The whole point of them is that they're chimeras created through careless Paleontology similar to the early days of the field where Scientists just threw bones together to create a new creature for brownie points. That's why the scientist has the name Cara Liss (get it, Care-Less?), that's why she looks unprofessional, that's why she's hanging out in the middle of a desert instead of in a facility, and so on and so forth. If you allow the scientist to make the 'right' one, then the concept fails since now she can actually make the 'right' choice and thus isn't a complete sham of a scientist, and thus the chimera fossils only exist for dex filler that you box once you get the correct one. Ultimately I feel it's a better directional decision to stick with allowing the player to only get the four chimeras since it brings forth the concept without weakening it in any way.

Eh, I feel giving the player any 'correct' formation would've taken away from the concept, at least for this set. The whole point of them is that they're chimeras created through careless Paleontology similar to the early days of the field where Scientists just threw bones together to create a new creature for brownie points. That's why the scientist has the name Cara Liss (get it, Care-Less?), that's why she looks unprofessional, that's why she's hanging out in the middle of a desert instead of in a facility, and so on and so forth. If you allow the scientist to make the 'right' one, then the concept fails since now she can actually make the 'right' choice and thus isn't a complete sham of a scientist, and thus the chimera fossils only exist for dex filler that you box once you get the correct one. Ultimately I feel it's a better directional decision to stick with allowing the player to only get the four chimeras since it brings forth the concept without weakening it in any way.
I feel like having a correct formation would have given them more appeal... maybe make the other halves rarer than the initial four, or just later in the game, so your first impression is "Wow, abominations." but you get later in the game and either find the other halves to give Cara a shot at doing something right for a change, or find a proper lab that restores them correctly so people like me who don't like the mismatched freakshows could get a matched version that looks so much better than the improperly assembled ones.

Matched ones would probably be monotype anyway, so for those who prefer dual-types, the mismatched chimeras would be the way to go.

does that new water/dragon and its water move get Strong Jaw stab?

It's a neat twist on an old concept. I much prefer the two "Zolts" over the two "Vishes", and I think the reason is that they give off a Fossil Fighters vibe similar to Tyrantrum :)

I bloody wish that's what they went with. Instead her name is Cara Liss. Which I mean I guess is still kinda funny but yours is way better.
I hereby rename her 'Miss Cara Liss Match'

Granted, it is only in my heart, but it counts for something right?

Also, I adore the concept of these fossils and I'm not mad at their design either. I actually like how they all look mismatched, and I assume that none of em are rock because technically none of em are complete?

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom