• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pocket Monsters (2019) Ending 1: "Pokémon Shiritori"

Reaction score
Jun'ichi Masuda will be producing the ending theme to the new series.

EJAIyKdX0AA12GN

Pokémon Shiritori is the title of the ending theme, which premiered with the episode today:

View: https://twitter.com/CentroPokemon/status/1198535201523146752?s=20

Last edited:
Judging by the name ("Mew version") there will be several versions of this.

It's thematically fitting, but very uninspired. Even Ierukana BW had a more engaging animation. At least it shows Pokemon from Galar, and it seems like it will have multiple versions, possibly one per region.

I don't see the dub using this as their ending, they would have to erase a lot of Japanese text and it would be confusing. I think they'll use other scenes from the opening or they'll just go back to the black screen.

It's like a really bad "Pokemon Sandwich". I haven't watched the dub since XY but I thought the dub didn't use an ending song anyway.

Yeah. As a Dub watcher, this is gonna be hell for them to edit the ending footage around. 2 to 3 things come to mind for me: they'll have to go the 4kids route and edit out all the JP content and specifically have just the Pokemon and characters there, or possibly resort to stock footage clips from the current episode/for every episode til the end of the season. The 3rd being the most unlikely to me, going the CN route of black screen/white credits. We're with Disney now, so they have to use ending animation of some kind here.

Ehhh, I guess they were trying to be nostalgic again? :rolleyes:

I think "Fantasy in my Pocket" was great because of the message behind the song (which hits me harder the older I get) and not the bland visuals.

This song has neither good lyrics or visuals so it feels very lazy. It's just static images of various Pokémon. They could at least have tried to show off their personalities in a fun and creative way.

This song has neither good lyrics or visuals so it feels very lazy. It's just static images of various Pokémon. They could at least have tried to show off their personalities in a fun and creative way.

This is a symptom of the first ending curse that generally occurs at the start of a new series--they shift their budget on everything else and skimp on the ending theme. "Because the Sky is There", "Fanfare of the Heart", "X Strait Y Scenery", and "Pose" for example all have fairly lackluster animation compared to later ED themes, when they have more budget to spare. You can also tell just from the credits: there are 17 animation staff credited for the OP and only two for the ED.
EKIP5h7WsAEmpzd

This is a symptom of the first ending curse that generally occurs at the start of a new series--they shift their budget on everything else and skimp on the ending theme. "Because the Sky is There", "Fanfare of the Heart", "X Strait Y Scenery", and "Pose" for example all have fairly lackluster animation compared to later ED themes, when they have more budget to spare. You can also tell just from the credits: there are 17 animation staff credited for the OP and only two for the ED.
EKIP5h7WsAEmpzd
I still feel like Pose has decent and better animation than this.

I still feel like Pose has decent and better animation than this.
It also had twice the staff (four). Also note that there are no animators credited for the new ED--just the director and one person on 3D CGI. It's not animated in the traditional sense at all.

This is a symptom of the first ending curse that generally occurs at the start of a new series--they shift their budget on everything else and skimp on the ending theme. "Because the Sky is There", "Fanfare of the Heart", "X Strait Y Scenery", and "Pose" for example all have fairly lackluster animation compared to later ED themes, when they have more budget to spare.
sighs
Because the Sky is There was so good! :cry: AG was dead in many ways but it really did have the best OPs & EDs...

sighs
Because the Sky is There was so good! :cry: AG was dead in many ways but it really did have the best OPs & EDs...
Since Sony Music took over from Media Factory (end of BW), we've had a lot in the way of artists signed to Sony and its imprints. But so far for the new series, they've picked talent off the internet not signed to Sony... But then they played it super safe with a fairly standard shounen OP and a catchy shiritori song for the kids.

This is probably intentional as part of the mass audience/casual viewer thing they're trying to do. For example, the lyrics for the TV size OP is normal "let's go on an adventure" fare, but it's the second half of the full version that actually gets to how the world around us keeps changing as we grow up. I'm hoping that later on, even if they keep hiring internet talent and relative nobodies that they'll actually give them more creative freedom to work with.

Look this is not nearly as bad as XY's first ending, I'll just say that.
I'm out of energy to rant about Masuda at this point and it's not like he composed this like I initially thought anyway.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom