• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview JN007: The Hoenn Region, Site of Fierce Fights! The Battle Frontier Challenge!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thinking about it, maybe they're implementing a more game-accurate version of the Frontier here and this is the Battle Dome? So we might see some of the other facilities later, like Ash using rentals in the Battle Factory or a maze for the Pyramid.

It'd be weird but maybe they'll use the Gen 4 Frontier Brains here? I think Palmer is the only one who appeared so far in the anime.
Edit: This is just throwing ideas out here about this odd development, not what I actually expect.

Last edited:
Seriously, I'm in complete disbelief. Like, what?! Why the Battle Frontier? And why in Hoenn? Did they... did they forget that the Hoenn Battle Frontier was established to be in Kanto in the anime? So much for continuity, I guess. And just one single episode for the entire thing. How is that even gonna work?

I have mixed feelings too. On one hand it's cool to have a battle-focused episode so early, but in the other hand it would be a giant facepalm and a big disappointment if no one in the writers team could remember that detail.

Ash has reserves at Oaks and this episode comes after the Bug Catching episode for Go, so him and Ash have both more than 1 Pokemon.
Eh, I don't think he'll use his reserves but we'll see and I really wouldn't like seeing Go use Pokemon that will most likely be captured and will be shown in a slideshow ( like they did with origins ).

Wouldn't it have made more sense to have the episode focus on the Cosplay Pikachu (a mechanic that not only appeared in the anime before, but was introduced in Hoenn in the games), which could've gone hand in hand with Pokémon Contests (again, a mechanic that not only made its debut in Gen III, but also canonically originated from Hoenn)?
Last I checked, neither one of the two protagonists was a coordinator. This episode is most likely just an opportunity for Ash and Go to battle more competitively, because who knows what the next chance is going to be.

Last edited:
You know, guys, it could simply be that the Battle Frontier moved from Kanto to Hoenn since the AG anime. Of course, it would be extremely wise of the writers to actually mention this (and if they don't, then wtf), but I think we might be making a mountain out of a molehill here.

Up to episode 7 no trace of Ash catching a single Pokémon, not even Galar regional bird, Rokidee... what about Sobble and Grookey? I really don't know what's going on, by the first 5 episodes of every previous saga Ash has already catched at least 1 mon...

YES I’M OKAAAAYYYYY

it’s difficult to get excited for episodes when we’ve seen so little of the series, hopefully these region episodes are exciting enough to make me look forward to them in the future.

Also it’s a real shame that it’s like 99% likely that we aren’t getting any nostalgic music in these regional episodes. Sure they can remix game music but all-new compositions in this new musical style takes away some of the magic. What’s a Hoenn episode without the Advance Adventure instrumental?

Last edited:
Last I checked, neither one of the two protagonists was a coordinator.

A) I didn't say that they should enter a contest. Rather, the idea was that they would be sent by Sakuragi to go and observe a peculiar type of Pikachu that can change their moves based on the costume they wear and that they would stumble upon one that's owned by a coordinator, which would lead to them seeing it in action in a contest (and maybe have Team Rocket appear and provide the conflict by trying to steal all the Cosplay Pikachu they could find for Giovanni).
B) Not being a coordinator doesn't stop one from participating in a contest if they wanted to. After all, Ash has never been one, yet that didn't stop him from participating in contests before. Remember the Terracotta Contest? Or the Jubilife one? The Wallace Cup? All contests that Ash has competed in, despite not being a coordinator.

Last edited:
I know I've said this several times but at the moment, this is one episode I'm looking forward to the most

I wonder what Hoenn Pokemon will appear

A) I didn't say that they should enter a contest. Rather, the idea was that they would be sent by Sakuragi to go and observe a peculiar type of Pikachu that can change their moves based on the costume they wear and that they would stumble upon one that's owned by a coordinator, which would lead to them seeing it in action in a contest (and maybe have Team Rocket appear and provide the conflict by trying to steal all the Cosplay Pikachu they could find for Giovanni).
B) Not being a coordinator doesn't stop one from participating in a contest if they wanted to. After all, Ash has never been one, yet that didn't stop him from participating in contests before. Remember the Terracotta Contest? Or the Jubilife one? The Wallace Cup? All contests that Ash has competed in, despite not being a coordinator.
You're pretending that this is AG or DP again where a female companion is a coordinator and Ash has a reason to watch her contests and sometimes participate. Somehow I am not surprised that this episode is about a battle tournament instead.

You're pretending that this is AG or DP again where a female companion is a coordinator and Ash has a reason to watch her contests and sometimes participate. Somehow I am not surprised that this episode is about a battle tournament instead.

No, I'm basing all of this on the premise that Ash and Go are working as Sakruagi's assistants and that their job is to observe and report on certain Pokémon and their behaviors. In the games, Cosplay Pikachu were introduced in the Hoenn remakes, so it would make sense for Ash and Go to travel to Hoenn to find one, and, since their whole shtick is tied to contests, it would make sense for Ash and Go to see one in action in a contest.

And, if you ask me, a battle tournament would've been more fitting for Unova (since that place had a whole bunch of them in the anime), while the Battle Frontier should've been saved for the Sinnoh Region (since the Gen IV one hasn't appeared in the anime at all).

If at least one Frontier Brain doesn't cameo, I quit... :mad:

If at least one Frontier Brain doesn't cameo, I quit... :mad:
Brandon is the Frontier Brain that's the most relevant to Ash. If this tournament is sponsored by the people behind the BF then Brandon absolutely needs to appear because of how important his influence is to Ash. Scott too, considering he's the boss of the BF challenge.

And if Brandon appears, then it would be pleasant if Paul does too.

I'm not expecting to see any old characters in this episode, myself (I mean aside from the obvious Ash/Gou, MAYBE Team Rocket). I think there's a decent chance they'll be revisiting the Frontier in other episodes as an obvious way to get battle-focused episodes, especially with this episode's title.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom