• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Shiny Encounters Thread

Working on some Sword and Shield Shiny hunts now. Don't quite have the Shiny Charm yet, just waiting for Pokemon Home to come out so I can transfer over Zamazenta and a few other Shield exclusives that I haven't managed to obtain through Wonder Trade. My current hunts are Battle Chaining for Wooloo, but I hear there's a bug in the game that is actually making that hunting method not up the odds properly or something along those lines, so I don't work on it that often. I am also 480 eggs in for Shiny Galarian Ponyta.

I was wanting my first SwSh shiny to be a new Pokemon (unless I just got a random one), but the recent Magikarp event seemed fun so I just did that. Did about 11 Magikarp Max Raids till I got the shiny Golden Karp. Evolved her but don't have a name for her yet.

Was watching someone do some Masuda hunting, so I decided to join them and work on my Galarian Ponyta. I wasn't even paying attention to my own hunt when 14 encounters later, I hear the sound of the sparkle. I look up, and there's my shiny baby after around 490 eggs.

I called him Mint, and I have no idea why. He's my little Mint boi and I love him.

I'll be going for Shiny Sobble next.

Last edited:
Yesterday I was playing Shield and I got destroyed in an Appletun raid thanks to the fantastic AI partners. I decided to look up the menu to see what raids were available to join, and there was one with Wishiwashi. I said to myself "I think I've already caught it (I haven´t), but I like the species so it could be fun".

I joined the raid and the battle started, I noticed that it had weird orange eyes but I shrugged them off as a side effect of the Dynamax aura. After five turns where I did most of the job (my only non-AI partner was a Shiny Tsareena which all she did was to boost our Special Defense) we beat it and I caught it with a Dive Ball. Then the Pokedex scene appeared and Wishy was shown on its Solo Form revealing it was a shiny all along! While I'm not a Shiny hardcore fan I'm pleased with the way I obtained my first Gen 8 shiny.

Managed to hatch a shiny Hawlucha in Sword. I was gunning for one, but given the fact that if I'm actively searching for a shiny I won't get it, I wasn't super hopeful, even if I'm using both the Shiny Charm and Masuda Method. However, I got my wish and got a 5 IV shiny male Hawlucha with Unburden after around 80-ish eggs (I lost count around 50). Pretty good, considering its me. I'm debating on using it in a playthrough or raising it to be semi-competitive, haven't quite decided yet. But, either way, I'm super happy that I got my shiny Hawlucha.

While searching for a new Shiny Dedenne (because I lost my first one I got a couple of years back) in an Electric Friend Safari in Pokemon X, I stumbled upon a Shiny Galvantula after around an hour and a half of encounters (I'm not keeping track), caught her and named her Stella. I'm still on the search for my new precious Sunflower hamster, but I'm hoping we'll be reunited soon.

In Sword and Shield, the bulk of the shinies i caught came from raid Magikarp battles. but in Shield, i got a Shiny Lunatone at random in the Wild Area.

I've been hopping between games a lot since the launch of Home so I can leave a shell of a living dex in my Ultra Sun and transferred the bulk of my living dex up to Home then doing a bit of patching between the two - my Home is now only about 20 short of complete.

In doing so I've had two completely random Shiny encounters lately, both on Moon within a week of each other. I'd left my last play of Moon at the point of just having one grand trial left.

While looking for a Tauros around the ranch and getting nothing but Lillipup and Mudbray spawn I thought "wonder what the shinies of these look like..." next spawn was a shiny Mudbray! Played through a little more for the sake of getting some extra Legendaries and UBs but got distracted by other games.

Then went to Omega Ruby for a bit to get a few legendaries from their (I'd left a load stashed on the game for the mirage spot type legendary spawns. Then did a bit of moving from virtual console Silver.

Decided to go back to Moon and play the rest of the story to get some extra Legendaries/Ultra Beasts ready to transfer up. Fired the game up today having left off at the start of the UB story and remembered I could go get the Cosmog at the lake, ran through a patch of grass on the way, first spawn of the play, shiny Ariados!

The funny part of that one, I'd forgotten. That you have to go through the wormhole at the altar of the moon for Cosmog so I was going to the wrong place!

In Sword I decided to see if I could duplicate my success with the shiny Hawlucha hunt with another Mon. In this case, I wanted a shiny Wimpod. So, once again, with Masuda Method and Shiny Charm on my side, I took another jab at shiny breeding. And I succeeded! I got a shiny male Wimpod with an Adamant nature, five IVs, and Aqua Jet. And the cherry on top is that it's one of those new star shinies! That's my second successful shiny breeding endeavor, and I even got it within 20 eggs (I think it was egg #19, to be exact), compared to the Hawlucha's 50+ eggs (I lost count around 50).

Since I save every time I get an egg, and usually after going across roughly 1/3rd of Route 5's bridge, it allows me to reset to a certain point just before the egg hatches, so if I want to use it in another playthrough, I can just stash it away while it's still an egg and trade it over. Which is exactly what I'm going to do with this Wimpod, as I want to try it in a playthrough (I did the same with my previous Hawlucha). Still, I am stoked that I succeeded in another shiny egg hunt, as, usually, if I'm gunning for a shiny, the RNG gods won't let me have it, only giving me one if I'm NOT looking for one. That generally applies to all shinies for me, as they tend to just "appear" when I'm not actively going out of my way to find/hatch one. So, the fact that I got two recently that I was actively hunting really makes me happy, as that never happens for me under normal situations.

Awesome thread! I've encountered Shinies ONLY by chance and through surprise trades (in my last playthrough of Shield, I got a Machamp and a Froslass).

The latest by chance was a shiny Rolycoly. It was amazing, because I only had Grookey before the first Gym in Turrfield, and I was starting to train a regular Rolycoly, but I found one in the caves just before my regular one evolved into Carkoal. It is the first time ever I played through a main series game with a Shiny... which now is obviously a Coalossal.
In that same playthrough, I did try the famed Masuda method (first time ever) with Clobbopus, since I really dig shiny Grapploct and I wanted to use one for my team, alongside my Coalossal. I haven't been successful as of today and I'm really not that patient to keep trying. Plus I already beat the game with a regular Grapploct.

My second latest was in my current playthrough of X, where I found a shiny Whismur. I still don't know if I should evolve it.

My first ever Shiny, period, was in my second playthrough of Moon. A Carbink. I was psyched eventhough I really don't like that Pokemon.

Probably the coolest shiny I found, aside of Coalossal, was a Dodrio in Let's Go Eevee; it looks like a tropical bird. I rode that one everywhere!

The only shiny I've missed was a Snorlax in a max raid battle.

Last edited:
Man, I'm getting super lucky in my most recent Sword playthrough. Not only have I netted a HA Galarian Corsola, a HA Pinchurin, and both Shelmet and Karrablast (now an Accelgor and Escavalier, the latter having his HA), but now I ran into a shiny female Trubbish at full odds on Route 3. Sadly, she doesn't have that great of a nature, but, hey, a shiny at full odds isn't half bad at all. I guess it's true what they say, "One man's trash is another man's treasure." Or, in this case, "One Mon's trash is another Mon's treasure." *chuckles*

I'm now Masuda breeding (+ S. Charm) for a shiny Axew and recently I got a shiny Moltres through Wonder Trade and traded one Pkmn for a shiny Charmeleon, which is now a Charizard. I'll then resume the horde hunt for Aron.

My most recent shiny breeding experiment in Sword is a success. After the previously failed attempt to breed a shiny Falinks (300+ eggs and still nothing) I tried for a shiny Impidimp, once again with Masuda Method and Shiny Charm in hand. After roughly 100 eggs I got my shiny Impidimp with an Adamant nature and Prankster. Now I'm trying to see if I can get a shiny Binacle. Not sure why, really, but I guess it's grown on me over time and I want to try it out. We shall see.

Just found and caught a shiny Surskit while riding the DayCare route after seeing the exclamation mark in my PkNav. While the nature isn't good, I just love the dark blue and what will be Masquerain's light green! :bulbaLove:

So... I love this thread.
My goal is to complete the HOME pokédex using only shinies I get. (Living dex)
Add me if interested on following the progress
LKZMKQCXMUHB

My goal is to complete the HOME pokédex using only shinies I get. (Living dex)

That will be quite an accomplishment, so best of luck. I am barely reaching the 800 Pokemon mark on the Home dex and I miss a lot of Legendaries and Mythicals, and most aren't even Shiny. I might at least push it to get a living dex with regular Mons.

That will be quite an accomplishment, so best of luck. I am barely reaching the 800 Pokemon mark on the Home dex and I miss a lot of Legendaries and Mythicals, and most aren't even Shiny. I might at least push it to get a living dex with regular Mons.
The point is to be something that takes a lot of time. No hurries. The main problem is a lot of pokémon where you have 0 chances for it to be shiny!

Back
Top Bottom