• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Random Messages 16: This Thread Is A Cursed Mall Area with Tables

What is your favorite curse?

• Total voters
Funny, isn't it? We get games where people tried to demand DLC to make it better (ORAS and the absence of the Battle Frontier, for example) and games that people think should have just been DLC instead of new games (Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon), and now we actually do get DLC that improves existing games without creating new ones, and people still complain.

*gives GameFreak a F- for not even trying to release a complete game*
... I’m sorry, I can acknowledge SwSh was clearly rushed in areas and needs improvement and can be much better but one thing I cannot stand by for is treating these games as if they didn’t even try. Between my current playthrough of the games, the first steps towards an open world game through the Wild Area with free roaming Pokémon, the sheer number of Pokémon and attacks available and all the unique animations between them all (and before anyone says it, I am not talking about battle animations, I am simply taking them into account along with all the Pokémon Camp animations), and now this Direct, it shows the opposite. This Direct screams to me, we tried to make a good game but we just couldn’t beat the time crunch.

You could say, ‘well then, there shouldn’t be such a strict deadline’. I think most people agree there shouldn’t be, I honestly think it would benefit the anime as well, but sadly there is and Game Freak has had to release games yearly for four years now with no break and because SwSh was so groundbreaking for what Pokémon’s been up to this point, it’s a wonder Sword and Shield are as good as they are. And you know what, this Direct is acknowledgement to me at least that they can’t do these yearly releases anymore (or at least I hope it is. If there is an announcement for DP remakes later this year, I will eat my pants). In this Direct we got;

a DLC package that people have been clamoring for (heck people were hoping the rest of the Pokémon would be patched in through this) that will be fully uploaded by the end of the year that includes;
two new areas to explore with new characters, Legendaries, and activities for the player to do, new regional forms, new Gigantamaxes, all the previous Legendaries, Den exploration, a way to make your Pokémon Gigantamaxable, and 200 more Pokémon (that you do not have to pay to get, you just need to get the update) Some people on Twitter have even said the trees have been improved!
Basically the DLC gives you a new postgame and more Pokémon and all of those things together amount to $30 instead of just forcing an Ultra/Emerald (also other games get DLC as well, Kingdom Hearts and Breath of the Wild for example and those are mostly improving graphics and fixing glitches)

AND

Mystery Dungeon games (granted its a remake but people kept on saying all throughout 2019 that spin offs such as it were dead, it’s all transaction-y mobile games from now on and look what we got today)

and it seems like those will be the main things we get gamewise for 2020 (and it’s only January!) and that’s good, not just for future installments but for the poor people making these games and having to deal with this time crunch induced stress plus the harassments and death threats they’ve been receiving the past year. They need a break and therapy.

So yeah, I’m happy with what we got today and I really hope this is the end for yearly mainseries games.

Last edited:
Funny, isn't it? We get games where people tried to demand DLC to make it better (ORAS and the absence of the Battle Frontier, for example) and games that people think should have just been DLC instead of new games (Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon), and now we actually do get DLC that improves existing games without creating new ones, and people still complain.
People act like The Sims method of DLC is the only type of DLC that exists. Which means they're thinking ALL DLC is evil and bad and all that.

DLC like Mass Effect 3's Citadel DLC (A highly praised DLC) would like a word.

but one thing I cannot stand by for is treating these games as if they didn’t even try.
Do us a huge favour and please use linebreaks in your posts :) It makes it way easier to read. (This is me asking as a user, not a mod, by the way)

That's the problem though. It just feels like there was no effort put into the game to me. As if Pokemon has become the new Call of Duty.

So yeah, I’m happy with what we got today and I really hope this is the end for yearly mainseries games.
I agree with this.

the harassments and death threats they’ve been receiving the past year.
And THIS is never acceptable. It's fine to tweet #BringBackNationalDex at the official channel(s)... It is NOT fine is send threats or personally harass staff. I don't care how you feel about the games, or the company (And right now, I'm not feeling that positive about either)... But NO ONE deserves threats or harassment.

I just don't get how people can stoop to that level.

I should point out, I was never going to buy SwSh, because that would also mean buying a Switch. That makes the "entry fee" to play in the new Generation far too high.

My biggest complaint about how this whole thing was handled is the lying.

Yeah, I've mentioned that the idea of needing to release a game every year at the cost of game quality sucks, but I don't really care about that, since I wasn't going to buy the games.

When a company flat out lies to its customers, not once, but twice? That's just bad policy.

I mean, Game Freak and Nintendo could have easily said that, while not all Pokemon were planned to be in the game from the start, that it was a developmental crunch kind of thing, and not give us bullshit excuses. They also could have said, at the time, that there were plans to add in the other Pokemon at some point down the line, instead of saying there weren't.

What would this honesty have cost them?
Virtually nothing.

What would have been the benefit of their honesty?
Well, that's difficult to say, but, at the very least, there would have been no #Dexit, or it would have been significantly reduced. There would have been much less backlash, and, heck, maybe in an unrealistic situation, people would have pushed back on TCPi, and had them take a little longer to finish developing SwSh and have it release a little later.

Like I said, that last bit is unrealistic, but it would have cut down on a lot of the backlash caused by their lies.

My take is Im very glad they decided to have DLC. I do hope going forward, they will go with this instead of third versions, which tbh are not worth the money. USUM for sure werent worth full price by any stretch of the imagination, due to barely being different than SM, and what was added couldve been DLC. I think this is a good way to add new content and keep players interested while they work on the next new game.

However Im not at all a fan about how they handled the dex thing. They pretty much lied, saying they really couldnt add all the Pokemon, that it was an inevitable decision they made to cut out those Pokemon,and we now know that they planned on adding them anyway through an update... I just feel it is pretty badly handled. A lot of people were upset about this. They surely did not deserve the harassment and bullying they received and honestly those people should never act that way over a video game, but Game Freak deserves some criticism for what they've done. I feel like older Pokemon shouldnt be locked behind updates at all, but instead they should use it to introduce brand new Pokemon and forms only along with additional new content.

My take is Im very glad they decided to have DLC. I do hope going forward, they will go with this instead of third versions, which tbh are not worth the money. USUM for sure werent worth full price by any stretch of the imagination, due to barely being different than SM, and what was added couldve been DLC. I think this is a good way to add new content and keep players interested while they work on the next new game.
Third versions were most excellent for a while. Emerald and Platinum are, hands down, the best games of their respective regions. However, with the changeover to sequel games that happened in Gen V, I think that's what people expected moving forward.
That's why USUM were a disappointment. Not because "third versions bad," but because the franchise had moved on from third versions to something better.
Unfortunately, the franchise continued its slide backward this generation, since DLC is barely any better than a third version, and by returning to the tired old formula of Gym Battles after the Trials from Gen VII.

since DLC is barely any better than a third version,
It's not even being charged at DLC prices either. Between the two of them, they cost the same as a full pokemon game. There better be as much content as there is in one of the main games for that price.

I don't have a problem with paid DLC, but it better at least be worth it.

I only really care about my shiny collection being able to be transfered. I never really cared all that much about the dex thing itself except for disagreeing with Game Freak's decision to cut the Pokemon and concerns about what else they might do after that.

Besides more past Pokémon becoming available in this game which I yet have no Switch to play on, what piqued my interest the most were the new Regis and Gigantamax Inteleon. The latter I find falls into the same “awesome yet also ridiculous” category as another of my favorite Gigantamax forms; specifically, that of Meowth.

Luckily I already have a Switch I got for Spla2n and Pokken, but also for Smush later and I have Shield already (in which I just now was hard-pressed to make up for my team's non-existent ground-type coverage:lapras:).

If there is an announcement for DP remakes later this year, I will eat my pants
With Dialga and Palkia being included in the set of Den Legendaries, I'm actually doubting now whether we'll be getting those remakes at all. So your pants are more than likely safe.
Besides more past Pokémon becoming available in this game which I yet have no Switch to play on, what piqued my interest the most were the new Regis and Gigantamax Inteleon. The latter I find falls into the same “awesome yet also ridiculous” category as another of my favorite Gigantamax forms; specifically, that of Meowth.
I personally love Gigantamax Cinderace. It changes just enough to not be too drastic, and yet enough to make it even more awesome than it already is.

With Dialga and Palkia being included in the set of Den Legendaries, I'm actually doubting now whether we'll be getting those remakes at all. So your pants are more than likely safe.
It MIGHT still be possible if this DLC is intended to do what the fans have been requesting since that fateful announcement of Dexit. To add the remaining pokemon to Sword and Shield.

If so, the DP remakes are still possible. But I don't know how I feel towards that, due to how disappointing this generation and last were.

Back
Top Bottom