• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh What are you feelings/thoughts/concerns about TMs and TRs

It's an interesting concept with some logistical value but is about just as flawed.

The limitations of the TR system are wise both instilling value in the dynamax/raid battles as well as tempering the ease and speed with which the strongest moves (i.e Thunder, High Horsepower and Ice Beam) are gained and hence that of the game overall.
Additionally, the thought and care that is required of the one use format in itself is an added challenge that provides a level of responsibility and can impact one's entire experience.

However:

1. Perhaps this is just my experience but I'm in Ballonlea/Glimwood Tangle currently and since clearing all the dens after initially gaining access to the Wild Area, the occupancy has been almost non-existent and hardly variant.

2. I'm unsure of the difference between using AI vs. real allies but the use of the online functions to connect with players outside the room you're sitting in now requires a paid subscription to Nintendo Online or whatever it's called. Hence real allies cost real money.
While the subscriptions range from $4 for a month to $20 for a year which is fairly reasonable, the games themselves already cost a mini fortune so it's extortion nonetheless!
(I'm more pissed off that this applies to Surprise Trading, personally).

In this way, GF has somewhat created a conflict in their encouragement. I don't doubt the main objective of the system is to encourage raid battles but paid game features can often discourage players.

3. This concept somewhat threatens to restore the value of the old TM system particularly with the addition of multiple copy availability though whether or not this is really a flaw is a matter of opinion.
Admittedly, I do find the idea of perhaps reducing the non-expendable TMs to exclusively those won from gyms has its intrigue. See the first paragraph.

Last edited:
I forgot to mention something before. Unlike old-school TMs, TRs can't get passed down through breeding. I did an experiment a while back to see if it would work. I bred a Gallade with a G-Weezing, the former of which wielding both Psybeam and Shadow Ball for the experiment. Only Psybeam got passed down, Shadow Ball did not get passed down despite Koffing being able to learn it, which is a real bummer as it would make stockpiling TRs less of a necessity and make it easier to spread the moves around to compatible Mons. If they do decide to keep this idea going forward, I hope they modify TRs to be able to be passed down via breeding like past gen TMs so it limits how many we need, while also giving us greater access to multiple TRs to make the stockpiling easier.

it's wild that i can teach stuff like Hydro Pump and Dragon Dance to Pokemon that once had them as egg moves like Tyranitar lol

i mean... it's hard for me to be upset at the selection, especially since i've always wanted the elemental punches to be more of a permanent thing for a while now (granted, they have been via old school move tutor, but not as actual TMs ever since.... Gen 2, I think?). the variety of choices honestly seem rather overwhelming to me in certain points. i can't remember the last time Close Combat and Aura Sphere of all things was teachable via move tutor in the past. @_@

overall i can't find a whole lot to complain about, here (so far)

Teatime becoming a TM makes sense
worries me that:

- that the move doesnt cause confussion when no consumable item is held by oponent, would make sense taking Alice in Wonderland...
-that we didnt get a move or ability to change the effects of oponents berries and potions into negative ones to make them cause damage and status conditions

feeings and thoughs, very good move reminds me of Alice in wonderland.
Hope more fairy and human shaped pokemon get it like some rabbits, snubull, Mr Mime, Clefairy, Clefaible, Chansey and others...female like Gothitele and maybe Delphox with its Magixian ability could get something out of it.

Last edited:
the more i think about it... the more i think i actually like TRs. if only because the introduction of TRs makes it a LOT easier to teach certain moves to pokemon that you'd usually have to breed down via egg moves. so it's essentially taking the hassle out of breeding for egg moves and making it into a "teachable" move, which im honestly okay with.

the more i think about it... the more i think i actually like TRs. if only because the introduction of TRs makes it a LOT easier to teach certain moves to pokemon that you'd usually have to breed down via egg moves. so it's essentially taking the hassle out of breeding for egg moves and making it into a "teachable" move, which im honestly okay with.

Though they've also taken the hassle out of egg moves now, too.

I really like the idea of the TRs and think it works really well with the overall concept of Raids ect, it also enabled my team to have some great moves early on in the game that helped a lot.

I also now have like 50+ Ice Beam and Blizzard TRs from the Delibird event lmao.

I am a bit unsure about the TM distribution this gen.. like someone above mentioned with Pay Day being a TM now, imo it's just a wasted spot and begs another question as to why certain old moves were removed. Pay Day's TM could be Return for example.

I do hope some of those older moves that got removed will come back with the expansions but I doubt it at this point.

Though they've also taken the hassle out of egg moves now, too.

which is honestly amazing. like no joke... i was shiny breeding a Rookidee for a Corviknight that i was planning to use as part of a competitive team, and then realized that it only got Roost as an egg move. i was super relived to find out that i can just toss it in the daycare with something that already knows roost and it'll just learn the move there!

Dragon Rage(does always 40hp damage) and Sonicboom(does always 20hp damage) need to come back taking we have to take on Dynamax.
Maybe make both do 25 or 30 hp damage.

I like the concept of TRs in that they are single-use items, much like TMs were prior to Black/White, but despite this, you can get multiple copies of each. They are much better than Move Tutors, since those (except for moves like Draco Meteor and Blast Burn) never appear in the first paired game versions of any generation. However, I wish the better moves like Surf and Flamethrower still were TMs like they were in previous games. Some of the TR choices also feel somewhat odd, such as Power Gem, which isn't that well-distributed (and now that we know that the Amaura line is coming back thanks to the Expansion Pass, I wonder if they are compartible with the move). I think some moves such as Signal Beam (why was it even removed?) and Water Pulse should have become TRs, and Stealth Rock should have been an exclusively level-up move.

My concern is that Garchomp still doesn't get Dragon Dance.

Cynthia will avenge him in the remakes. Just wait.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom