• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What do you think of the generation 4 and 5 games?

I really like both gens, though I'm probably biased considering those were my first two generations.

Gen IV was the first game I think felt like an actual sequel, after Gen II and III felt like "first games", although it has things that really annoy me (slowness, HMs, Stark Mountain).

Gen V is the peak of the series for me, and I spent a lot of time playing them. I loved the Memory Link feature and it has one of the two battle facilities that I actually like, but that's mostly because I like tournaments.

Gen 4 and 5 did a lot of good for the series and are very great games.

Gen 4 gave us the great region of Sinnoh, where the Poke-world mythology was really coming into play and helped the franchise bloom. It also gave us the much-needed Physical/Special split, which allowed a lot of Mons (most notably Dark-types) become considerably more viable because moves could now be either physical or special depending on the move itself and not the typing. Platinum was one of the best games of the series, too. It did, however, have some problems, such as the insane amount of HMs needed (all of which were mandatory), the infuriating maze of Mt. Coronet (which often required said HMs to navigate), and a rather slow pacing (especially Diamond and Pearl, though Platinum alleviated that a bit). However, as I don't like Johto, I'm not the best one to ask about HGSS, especially since it didn't fix some of the issues that plagued Gen 2 (that level curve is still the bane of the Johto games to me).

Gen 5, however, was the peak performance for the franchise. BW had the best plot to date (for Pokemon standards, anyway) that actually went after the core of the franchise, great, well-developed characters, the first female professor, reusable TMs (a godsend) and HMs slowly getting minimized in terms of necessity, the introduction of Hidden Abilities that could make or break a Mon, an actually threatening villainous team with a horrible head honcho (yet we love to hate him), lots of great Mons, and overall great content. B2W2 in particular had a bevy of content and felt like a real sequel, with actual conclusions to various character arcs from the past game, though I still prefer BW overall. There are a few gripes that Gen 5 produced, like the lackluster Musicals, which was a poor man's Contest, the trading system was atrocious with various unnecessary steps, some of the Mons had horribly mismatched move pools and stats like the regional bird, and other nitpicks. But, overall, Gen 5 was the crowning achievement for GF and the franchise and has not been topped since. If you do play Gen 5, start with Black or White, so you can get the whole story, which will help B2W2 make more sense.

Gen 4 and Gen 5 are the peak of series for me as far as the games are concerned. The games are not without flaws, but there's no such thing as a flawless game. One thing some people forget to mention is that Gen 4 and 5 had really good spin-off games as well.

On top of that, the Johto remakes came with a free Pokewalker while Gen 5 had the Pokemon Dream World (on the Pokemon Global Link website) where you could play mini-games and find Pokemon with Hidden Abilities which you could then send to your BW/B2W2 games. The graphics of those games are still charming and hold up well today, especially Gen 4. BW/B2W2 have some pixelation issues and get rightfully criticized for it, but I don't think it's too bad. The games still look good to me.

Last edited:
I see these two generations as the golden era of Pokemon, I can especially see how Gen 5 had a lot of care put into the main series games, from great story to great Pokemon to even a story that made you think who was the bad guy before the final battle against Ghetsis himself took place in BW.

I also see these generations as the "golden age" of Pokemon, especially with regards to the games' stories, music, characters, and worlds. I have so much nostalgia for Gen IV, as it's when I really first got into Pokemon, so maybe there's a bit of bias there, but Gen V is my favorite generation by far. Walking into Castelia City for the first time and watching the camera move as you crossed the Skyarrow Bridge was a sight to behold. I also really appreciated the way that Gen V totally made you unable to catch Pokemon from previous regions until after the main storyline, as it gave the new designs their own special spot in the limelight. Gen IV had the better region IMO since you weren't just travelling in a circle (I still don't understand why they made Unova a circle) but both had fantastic amounts of postgame content with new places to explore. Gen IV and V also had some of the best spinoffs with titles such as the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers and Pokemon Ranger trilogies, as well as Pokemon Conquest, which is worth mentioning as well.

Black & White are the games that got me back into the series. I would probably say that the Gen 5 games (both sets) are my favorites in the series for... oh so many reasons.

I am decidedly less keen on the Gen 4 games, although they made some important strides.

These days though, I pretty much don't play any of them anymore due to the number of technical advances that the last few generations have made. I find it increasingly difficult to retroacclimate. (And I just think they've been doing more interesting things with the games in general from X & Y onwards).

Well, for me Gen. IV started without the best foot...I was in the university and so I didn't had that much time to play but Diamond started to grow on me and soon and I explored Sinnoh and discovered the amazing new Grass-types, region and lore.
This Gen. also gave me the best game ever - HG! I have more than 999,99hrs of gameplay, I simply love to take a stroll with my partner Pkmn and it's the best remake. I can't believe that 10 years have passed! :bulbaLove:

As for Gen.V I skipped that train at first. I disliked the fact that it wasn't based on Japan and instead NYC and I was very fine still playing HG. I only jumped into it when I found a cheap but new B2 version and I loved it, having the luck to have a female Snivy as my partner. After buying White, I came to the conclusion that B2 is indeed a better game. I love the true ideals of Team Plasma and the liberation of Pkmn.

I found a lot in gen 4 that I liked, tbh. Looker is probably one of my favorite characters in the series, if only because of the mystery surrounding his character and how we don't really know too much about him. I have quite a few favorite Pokemon from the Sinnoh region, and I have some good memories playing the games. But at the same time, I think I've realized that gen 4 was when it hit me that I wasn't in my Pokemon phase in life anymore, that maybe I was getting too old for them. I liked gen 4, but I think it's also got the bittersweet memory of me losing interest in Pokemon (for a few years).

I largely skipped gen 5. It came out in the years that I wasn't interested in Pokemon, and I didn't pick it up until right before the gen 6 launch, when I told myself I wanted to play the games I'd skipped out on before gen 6 came out (HG/SS, B/W, and B2/W2). I basically sped through the games and never really took the time to enjoy them. As a result, it was never really a memorable gen for me.

I only played Pearl from the fourth gen since one of my favorite Pokemon was exclusive to Pearl only, not found in Diamond or Platinum... will say did have its fun moments... but it felt way too slow to navigate

5th gen was fun too, awesome story, B2 was the first game I bought with my own money
team Plasma grunts felt so repetitive battles after a while, did get a bit boring with not much variety to them, some Pokemon so high levels to evolve

Gen. 4 (and 3 and 5, although to a slightly lesser degree IMO) was easily the peak of the Pokémon franchise, it's only been going downhill since then. The Sinnoh region had a memorable and dramatic story and lore, iconic Pokémon designs, a gorgeous and HUGE region, fantastic music, plenty of postgame content, the Battle Frontier (in Platinum), contests and the underground, and so much more. And most importantly, the replayability! They're by no means perfect games, but they get close. And don't get me started on the Johto games – so much content, so much stuff to do, so many cute details... Truly the Golden Age of Pokémon.

I don't love Black/White as much as most people do, although the games definitely grew on me over the years. My main issues were that I didn't like quite a lot of the new Pokémon designs (and even to this day, they are the hardest games for me when it comes to creating a team I really like), and that the region felt too straightforward and streamlined – obviously the following generations have shown that Unova wasn't even that streamlined in comparison. I really appreciated B2/W2 making more older Pokémon available, plus all the (postgame) content was amazing.

Last edited:
Just the mainline games or the spin-offs? I guess I will do both. Beware of untagged spoilers and me overthinking things. :p

Gen 4 - gameplay

DPPt

I liked Gen 4 when it was new because it introduced a lot of new features that we take for granted nowadays. Like the physical and special split and online trading/battling.

I also liked how older Pokémon got new evolutions. Too bad that regional forms seem to be the new thing that has replaced normal evolutions of older Pokémon (except for Sylveon).

The overuse of HMs and slow surfing speed was bad. I also don't like walking in the snow and mud. It's mostly just annoying and doesn't add anything to the experience.

HGSS

HGSS is a good remake of an already good game that has a lot of content. Walking with the Pokémon was a great feature that helps the immersion. It sucks that this feature was removed in later games (except for Let's go, why is it only the Gen 1-2 remakes that have this feature? :unsure: ).

Gen 4 - story and characters

DPPt

The plot of the Gen 4 games was OK. I would say it is better than Gen 1, 2 and 6. I like Volkner's story which is about him dealing with depression. His relationship with Flint is also wholesome.

Barry is better than the Gen 6 rivals but is also not that interesting either.

Cyrus is also OK but I think the way they dealt with his depression wasn't that great since Cynthia encourages him to isolate himself which isn't that great of a message.

HGSS

The plot in HGSS is not that interesting but I like how the backstory with Silver and Giovanni was finally confirmed even though it was difficult to access.

Taking pictures with the gym leaders was fun. I also like their updated designs that makes them look a little older.

The scene with Arceus creating the world is insane and super creepy! But also interesting, they should have expanded on this.

Gen 4 - spin-off games

PMD2

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Explorers of Sky is a great game with an epic storyline. There are some themes that could have been handled better though like Grovyle's suicide/sacrifice plot. The Deus Ex Machina ending is also a little bit silly even if the scene where Celebi and Grovyle watch the sunset together is beautiful.

Dusknoir is also a good layered character but it feels like he should have been portrayed as a morally gray character instead of a villain. The side characters are also OK even if they aren't all that deep.

Battle Revolution

Battle Revolution was kind of bland. Pokemon Colosseum and XD were better. I like the character customization and the Pokémon models and animations were much more expressive than in Sword and Shield (and the ones in the Pokémon Mystery Dungeon remake - they really are the worst ones so far).

Gen 5 - gameplay

BW1

Nothing too significant was added. I guess there is rotation battles and triple battles but these features aren't a thing anymore. Some Pokémon designs are hit and miss. Muscials are super lame and pointless.

BW2

BW2 has a lot of content which is great. The difficulty setting was a good idea but was way too hard to access!

Gen 5 - story and characters

Pros

I think N is the best character in all of the mainline games. He has both an interesting internal conflict and asks some thought-provoking questions about the Pokémon world. His backstory with Ghetsis is super creepy but interesting.

I like how there is an overarching theme in the Gen 5 story about growing up and becoming independent. There is Bianca's conflict with her dad and her being unsure of what to in the future and who she is going to become. Then it comes full circle in BW2 which was nice to see.

I think N and Ghetsis are also related to this theme but it's a more extreme example since Ghetsis wants to keep N as a child forever because he needs somebody to be dependent of him. To me Ghetsis is the scariest villain in Pokémon.

Cons

I also think it's interesting how Ghetsis seems to be based of Yokuba (also known as Fassad in the unofficial fan translation) from Mother 3.

But I think they could have done a better job with the speeches since we didn't get to see how Ghetsis' speeches affected the Pokémon World (unlike in Mother 3 where we get to see how it affected the society).

(Yokuba/Fassad also represents Stockholm Syndrome so the reference makes sense since N's relationship with Ghetsis is built on this idea. Too bad that Mother 3 is so obscure that most people won't get the reference.)

The biggest flaw with BW1's plot is that nobody ever gives N constructive criticism? The other characters mostly just attack N because he is different and "immature" which honestly feels more like a personal attack. Kind of ironic since the story talks so much about diversity and acceptance. It's a shame since the subject is actually interesting and I think they didn't really do it justice.

Ghetsis also needs more backstory. Lusamine is better than him in that regard.

BW2's plot isn't anything special. Hugh and his cat problems aren't all that interesting.

Last edited:
amount of pokemon was good in both... But liked gen 3 more when it comes to new abilities more.
Gen 6 and 7 are very good when it comes to new abilities and moves.
Gen 6 brough in fairy .

Gen 4 introduced some new things move wise more, like Aftermath, Rock polish, Stealth Rocks , Snow warning, Aqua Jet, and more.
Had more unique typings and game changing pokemon. Pokemon could have 2 abilities rather then one
(now should be 3 always even with starters... hope for gen 9)
Reminded the gen 1 touch more in that aspect.

Gen 5 most remembered for Zoroarks Illusion, Zen mode Darmanitan, Magic Bounce and largets amount of new pokemon and new signature moves. The amount of pokemon and moves with weak abilities and effects that you could take with a grint of salt.
Some exceptions with Overcoat users in sandstorm and hail.

Starters in gen 4 were wery good type wise, gen 5 felt too monotyped.
Gen 5 starters had new signature moves, gen 4 lacked those totally what was weird after gen 3.
Gen 4 starters was oriented on immunities and priority moves and gen 5 starters too but had more roobust stats and needed to use more powerfull moves.

Gen 4 got use notable Garchomp, Gen 5 Hydraigon two power houses that both needed a chomp.

Gen 4 gave us 2 starters with type immunity, gen 5 a fire/fighting debate and low improvement in games generally.

Gen 4 and 5 both good in oponents and gym classes, gen 5 felt more fresh but turned out mostly use of old shemes and not used the potential of past gen ability wise.

Both generations evolved weather aspects that was nice...
that wasnt achieved recently with terrains yet actually.
Both were improvements and brough a lot of good stuff but also not usefull abilities and moves that still could and should get buffs in power or effects to be better.

Both gen remind me of the Dragon dominated meta game back then.
Both gen itroduced 3 dragon legendaries what was cool, all were diffrent but was weird.

Both games story lines were to predictable taking gen 3... 3 legendaries... Shoking was Kyruem that could change forms and the muskeddeers but in gen 4 Giratina had also a other form... Both Kyruem and Giratina got interesting signature moves but their abilities wished for more especially after form change.

Last edited:
I really liked Black. It's fun and Unova is a very interesting region. Plus the story is probably the best among the main series games and the Gym Leaders are much more active. Plus I like the aesthetics because it is a bridge between the older Sprite-based games and the completely 3D graphics of Gen 6. I like that the Pokemon in battle are constantly moving; in fact, I think they look more dynamic than the 3D counterparts.

I haven't played any of the 4th Gen games aside of SoulSilver, but I consider it a classic. In terms of game mechanics, it is harder than the newer generations, because there is no global Exp. Share, no Lucky Eggs (unless you try to catch a Chansey... at a Safary Zone, and I think the chances of one having the item are pretty low), no Eviolite (not that I have found one at least), no reusable TMs yet (that started in Gen 5). Still, very good game. If I am never lucky enough to find a copy of Diamond, Pearl or Platinum, I hope they do the remakes. I'd buy one.

Last edited:
gen 4 was the height of pokemon for me, and i'm not even talking about exclusively the main series games. a lot of people don't give spinoffs the credit they deserve, but i think they're a huge part of why i enjoyed that generation, as well. pokemon mystery dungeon: explorers of sky was a big reason, and pokemon battle revolution came out during that period, as well, which i personally enjoyed! i think the spinoffs combined with the main series games really made gen 4 such a highlight for me.

gen 5.... was a mixed bag. i'm sorry, but i wasn't a fan of black and white. it was also the period of time that pmd: gates to infinity was a thing and i'm sure those of us are well aware of how that was received by the pmd fanbase at large. it was hard for me to get invested in most of the characters. N was alright, but i wasn't too attached to him. i think the rivals were okay, but just that. i think what really set me off was that gen 5 was really the beginning of when Game Freak pretty much booted the battle frontier from existence from that game onwards and that left me pretty bitter when i got to the end of BW, so when i beat it i never really touched it, again. B2W2 fixed that kinda with join avenue and pokemon world tournament (about time they included something decent), which kept me hooked for a good while after i beat it. overall it's ok, heavily lacking in the spinoffs department though iirc.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom