• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

PokeAni Missed Opportunities

In The Little Big Horn, Brock formed a deep bond with a baby Stantler, which clearly showed signs it wanted to stay with him. But instead of accepting it, Brock acts uncharacteristically cruel by loudly driving it away. I know he wanted it to live with its kind, but they could've easily pulled a Lapras and have Brock own Stantler until they found its herd. They could've even had a moment where Stantler struggles to decide whether it wants to go with its herd or Brock. But no. Not only does Brock miss a potentially promising capture, he even actively drives away a Pokémon that had formed a bond with him.

In The Little Big Horn, Brock formed a deep bond with a baby Stantler, which clearly showed signs it wanted to stay with him. But instead of accepting it, Brock acts uncharacteristically cruel by loudly driving it away. I know he wanted it to live with its kind, but they could've easily pulled a Lapras and have Brock own Stantler until they found its herd. They could've even had a moment where Stantler struggles to decide whether it wants to go with its herd or Brock. But no. Not only does Brock miss a potentially promising capture, he even actively drives away a Pokémon that had formed a bond with him.

As sweet as it was to see Brock bonding with Stantler, I could see why he didn't capture it. They just did the whole temporary capture to return a young Pokemon to its group plot point with Lapras. It wouldn't have been exactly the same since Stantler wasn't abused, but it still might have been too similar, especially when the Lapras' release was still relatively recent by the time that episode aired. Not to mention Brock's OS team was already full of pretty forgettable Pokemon. Vulpix had a pretty good debut and kind of fit with his goal of being a breeder, if only because it was given to him by a breeder he admired, but it did virtually nothing while it was with Brock. They could have possibly done more with Stantler if Brock did capture it, but Brock had better teams when he had fewer Pokemon on them as opposed to nearly a full team.

They could have done without the whole yell and pretend to dislike a Pokemon to make it go away though. That just felt more like a cliche rather than being uncharacteristically cruel.

As sweet as it was to see Brock bonding with Stantler, I could see why he didn't capture it. They just did the whole temporary capture to return a young Pokemon to its group plot point with Lapras. It wouldn't have been exactly the same since Stantler wasn't abused, but it still might have been too similar, especially when the Lapras' release was still relatively recent by the time that episode aired. Not to mention Brock's OS team was already full of pretty forgettable Pokemon. Vulpix had a pretty good debut and kind of fit with his goal of being a breeder, if only because it was given to him by a breeder he admired, but it did virtually nothing while it was with Brock. They could have possibly done more with Stantler if Brock did capture it, but Brock had better teams when he had fewer Pokemon on them as opposed to nearly a full team.

They could have done without the whole yell and pretend to dislike a Pokemon to make it go away though. That just felt more like a cliche rather than being uncharacteristically cruel.
I have seen that episode and I feel like Brock was being loud more so to make it clear that he wanted the Stantler to go.

Considering he barely done anything with the pokémon he already own, I don't see much point in him catching it.
But Koharu should recieve a new Pokemon and people laughing off at the possibility of her having one aren't constructive?

If you're arguing Koharu could recieve a new Pokemon and develop thanks to it, there's virtually no reason to say the same could not have happened with Brock if he had recieved that Stantler, by your own logic.

But Koharu should recieve a new Pokemon and people laughing off at the possibility of her having one aren't constructive? If you're arguing Koharu could recieve a new Pokemon and develop thanks to it, there's virtually no reason to say the same could not have happened with Brock if he had recieved that Stantler, by your own logic.
1. Takeshi already had many different pokémon.
2. Past is already written and done, future is full of possibilities.

I'm glad that Brock never got Stantler cuz the guy didn't get much screen time anyways. I wish Misty had gotten a Wooper though. I always hated Corsola and would've rather seen Misty with that no-armed little blue thing. :3

I'm glad that Brock never got Stantler cuz the guy didn't get much screen time anyways. I wish Misty had gotten a Wooper though. I always hated Corsola and would've rather seen Misty with that no-armed little blue thing. :3

I didn't have a problem with Corsola, but I thought that Chinchou would have been a much better choice. It has a more unique and useful type combination and I thought that it was cuter too. Maybe they didn't want anyone else in the cast to have an Electric type considering that didn't happen until DP or that they didn't want to give Misty a potentially easy way to take down other Water Pokemon, especially with the Whirl Cup competition, but Chinchou would have been a much better addition to her team.

While I guess that this isn't technically a missed opportunity, I always wished that we could have seen Misty's reactions to some Water/Bug type Pokemon. She'd probably be fine with Surkit and maybe Wimpod since she seems to be more comfortable around traditionally cute Bug Pokemon, but I doubt that she'd handle a Golisopod particularly well.

I was obsessed with Wooper as a kid and I really wanted her to get one. I also wanted her to get Totodile instead of Ash getting it because I was sick of the pattern of Ash getting all the starters back then. I liked Corsola though, so I'm glad Misty got one. I just think she should've swapped Goldeen for a Wooper.

This is a pretty minor one, but in the XY series episode Making Friends and Influencing Villains!, there is a brief scene where the group encounters a Diglett and a Dugtrio. What was a missed opportunity here was that they could've referenced the (in)famous "Diglett, Dig! Diglett, Dig! Trio, Trio, Trio!" chant from season 1, but they didn't. Not in the dub, at least. Such a shame.

This is a pretty minor one, but in the XY series episode Making Friends and Influencing Villains!, there is a brief scene where the group encounters a Diglett and a Dugtrio. What was a missed opportunity here was that they could've referenced the (in)famous "Diglett, Dig! Diglett, Dig! Trio, Trio, Trio!" chant from season 1, but they didn't. Not in the dub, at least. Such a shame.
I was hoping the dub of the Pokéball factory would have Meowth refer to Pikachu as a "pikablu" after he got painted by the machine. No such luck, sadly.

The Alola league was a HUGE missed opportunity. Well first of all watching Ash win was very unsatisfying since his only strategy was just to counter with counter. It’s almost like he didn’t have much of a brain. Perhaps that was the kind of behaviour they wanted to encourage. That anyone can win if they persevere enough. Melmetal was incredibly boring and Torracat basically had no role to play in the league. It was also annoying how Kahili was introduced specifically to be part of the Alola league though she didn’t even make it past the first round. She wasn’t even shown battling! Sophocles making it that far was also incredibly boring cause he didn’t have any pokemon to showcase, made worse by how nobody had any interest in his rivalry with Kiawe before hand. Hau was also introduced way too late for any kind of emotional attachment to his match.

Well some good matches was Mallow and Lana. The Guzma matches were also good.

Overall the big problem is the lack of pokemon, and the lack of training, something prevalent throughout the series so it was hard for it be any better but I think it could be fixed with some changes to the match lineups.

The Alola league was a HUGE missed opportunity. Well first of all watching Ash win was very unsatisfying since his only strategy was just to counter with counter. It’s almost like he didn’t have much of a brain. Perhaps that was the kind of behaviour they wanted to encourage. That anyone can win if they persevere enough. Melmetal was incredibly boring and Torracat basically had no role to play in the league. It was also annoying how Kahili was introduced specifically to be part of the Alola league though she didn’t even make it past the first round. She wasn’t even shown battling! Sophocles making it that far was also incredibly boring cause he didn’t have any pokemon to showcase, made worse by how nobody had any interest in his rivalry with Kiawe before hand. Hau was also introduced way too late for any kind of emotional attachment to his match.

I'm not sure if that's a missed opportunity so much as just not finding the Alola League particularly compelling, which I can understand and agree with to a certain point. I was pretty much fine with how Ash won. Using Counter against Counter was kind of weird, mainly because of how I kept thinking of how that doesn't work in the game, but the match itself was pretty solid and it was still satisfying to see Ash win. Torracat's main role for the League was to defeat Kukui's Incineroar, but it still got a bit of time to shine in Ash's match against Guzma. Melmetal was kind of there though. I think that they wanted Sophocles to go that far because otherwise, there wouldn't have been a point to his training episode and having him more interested in battling. That's also why he was surprisingly good against Kiawe, although I wouldn't say that they had a rivalry of any shorts. It was still really unrealistic for Sophocles to go that far, but I think that applies to pretty much all of the classmates aside from Kiawe and maybe Lana. In a regular League, none of them would have made it pass the preliminary rounds.

I honestly forgot all about Kahili. I definitely agree that Hau was introduced far too late. Not having any appearances between his debut and the start of the League certainly didn't help. In retrospect, I wonder why they even bothered to introduce him. They wanted to showcase Rowlet's evolved form and Decidueye's Z-Move, but they could have done that with just a new character instead. Maybe they just wanted to include both main rivals from the games, but at least Gladion had appeared frequently throughout the series.

SerenaToAlola said:
Well some good matches was Mallow and Lana. The Guzma matches were also good.

Overall the big problem is the lack of pokemon, and the lack of training, something prevalent throughout the series so it was hard for it be any better but I think it could be fixed with some changes to the match lineups.

I wasn't really into Mallow vs. Lana, but part of that was due to not being a big fan of Mallow. The Guzma battles were all pretty solid though. Most of the match ups for the League felt pretty fitting, but having more setup and more training for some of the characters throughout the series, as opposed to the buildup for the Alola League, might have helped.

OS's filled to the core with wasted potential and missed opportunities. Going from the most obvious ones such as Houou and GS Ball to a better use of both Kasumi and Takeshi and more screentime for Shigeru.

I still don't understand the reason some Gym Leaders in Kanto were treated as COTDs, or the reason Satoshi earned the two of his badges (Rainbow and Gold Badges). Come on, how making a Pokemon laugh grants you the victory? And for what reason Erika thought that Satoshi deserved the badge by running into a fire and saving a Kusaihana? This last one's a pretty popular opinion though.

I still don't understand the reason some Gym Leaders in Kanto were treated as COTDs, or the reason Satoshi earned the two of his badges (Rainbow and Gold Badges). Come on, how making a Pokemon laugh grants you the victory? And for what reason Erika thought that Satoshi deserved the badge by running into a fire and saving a Kusaihana? This last one's a pretty popular opinion though.
Could have something to do with the anime originally being planned to last for just a single season.

OS's filled to the core with wasted potential and missed opportunities. Going from the most obvious ones such as Houou and GS Ball to a better use of both Kasumi and Takeshi and more screentime for Shigeru.
GS Ball was full-on executive meddling, so you could blame the executives on that one. Not sure about Ho-Oh, but considering the anime started airing the same month GS were revealed it might have been a marketing thing, one that only Japanese people got.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom