• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Shiny Encounters Thread

Always legit!! Do not get the point of hackmon's

Me either, and I actually don't get how the hacking process works, nor I care. The closest I've been is to the infamous Missingno glitch on the original Blue and Red cartridges, which I did catch at the time and I thus got a "hacked" Mew and master balls. But the battery of those games went dry so I lost the data. I'm clean. ;)

I have just encountered a female shiny Aron (Hardy) while shiny horde hunting in Granite Cave. I love Aron and namely Lairon but I'm finding it hard to have a female Aggron...:unsure: I guess I'll spend very time enjoying her first and middle stages.
While hunting, I noticed that Axew can be found in the same cave, so now I have the rightest place to hatch my Axew eggs while using Masuda's method, namely taking into consideration that the cave is (or used to be) pitch black and Haxorus is black.

I found a Shiny Hitmontop by joining someone else's raid and caught it. While I'm not a fan of the pink color I'm happy that out of the 13-15 shiny I've own across all games two of them are among my favorite species (the other is Politoed).

I somehow didn't notice until last night that your League Card in Sword & Shield keeps track of how many Shiny Pokémon you've encountered. According to mine, I have found 15. Thinking back, from newest to oldest, I believe they were...

15. Event Raid Gigantamax Duraludon (caught)
14. Standard Raid Gigantamax Garbodor (failed to catch)
13. Standard Raid Hydreigon (caught)
12. Event Raid Squirtle (failed to catch)
11. Standard Raid Gigantamax Corviknight (failed to catch)
10. Standard Raid Gigantamax Orbeetle (caught)
9. Random Encounter Corvisquire (caught)
8. Standard Raid Mandibuzz (caught)
7. Event Raid Milcery with Gigantamax Factor (caught)
6. Hatched Milcery (I don't bother counting Eggs, but I would still very much like to get a Shiny Alcremie with each Sweet - but it's been a good long while since my last hatching spree)
5. Standard Raid Gigantamax Grimmsnarl (caught with a Master Ball)
4. Standard Raid Gigantamax Machamp (failed to catch; I actually encountered this one immediately before the above Grimmsnarl and really struggled with the decision of whether or not to use the Master Ball on it - I'm very glad I didn't because Shiny G-Max Grimm is good fucking shit)
3. Event Raid Magikarp (caught)
2. Event Raid Magikarp (caught)
1. Event Raid Magikarp (caught)

I've had the Shiny Charm since after the Magikarp event, if I remember right, although obviously that would only affect the hatched Milcery and the RE Corvisquire. None of the Standard Raids were hosted by me, although as it happens, I don't actually know if the Shiny Charm affects Raid generation. Anyone able to confirm?

In all my years playing Pokémon I have encountered and caught 32 Shiny Pokémon completely randomly without hunting for them. Although most of them were under influence of the Shiny Charm, and some of them were in Horde Battles or SOS Battles (wasn't actively hunting for them, they showed up while I was EV training). Besides those 32 I've had a couple of encounters that I failed to capture. One was a Zangoose in a Horde Battle Y that was killed by Seviper. Another was a Caterpie in Ultra Moon that got trapped in an endless loop of summoning a SOS partner (unfortunately you can't catch when you're facing 2 Pokémon). I'm sure there's 1 or 2 more I forgot about.

The two luckiest Shinies I have are Cresselia and Azelf, which were both Shiny when I battled them for the first time (in Black 2 and Ultra Moon, respectively). Cresselia was full odds, I believe.

In Sword I have encountered and caught 2 Shinies so far (not counting the two Shiny Magikarp I got from the Raid Battle event). A Nuzleaf (which was at full odds) and a Mudbray (with the Shiny Charm, caught it last week).

As for actively hunting, I've never really done it that much. The only Shiny hunting methods that I've done extensively are the chain fishing method in Y and Omega Ruby and the Ultra Space hunting in Ultra Moon. And I got almost every Shiny available with those methods.

I just ran into a shiny Stufful in the Wild Area during a new playthrough. At full odds, too. It's also one of those new diamond shinies. He has a Hasty nature with Fluffy as his ability. I named him Tuff Fluff. I'm not sure if I'll use him in this playthrough I'm doing, though having the Fighting-type would be helpful, and it's always fun to have a shiny during a playthrough. Might mull on that idea for a bit. But, either way, I'm really happy that I ran into a shiny this early in the game. It's just like I always say: when I'm actively hunting for a shiny, chances are I won't get it, but when I'm not, they just fall into my lap. That's my luck in a nutshell.

Forgive the double post... again... but got a new shiny story to report. ^_^

I decided to try my luck in shiny breeding again, this time using the same foreign Ditto I've used for all my experiments with a surprisingly good Hatterene with Magic Bounce that I got via Surprise Trade. So, I decided to go for a shiny Hatenna. After nearly 150 eggs (it was just a few Eggs shy of five full boxes) I got my shiny Hatenna. She has Magic Bounce, a Quiet nature, and 4 perfect IVs. Not bad, considering it was somewhat on a whim for me to try.

Today, I was grinding my Tauros in Mt.Silver in HeartGold. In the last cave before the summit where Red is waiting, I encountered a shiny Quagsire. I decided to avoid weakening it and caught the critter after 3 Dusk Balls. She has Damp as an Ability, has a Bold nature, and perfect IVs in HP.

Ran into a shiny Bunnelby in Shield about an hour ago. At full odds to boot. I've said it before and I'll say it again, when I'm actively hunting for a shiny I usually don't get one, but when I'm not they fall into my lap. This is becoming bit of a trend for me, as I've run into three different shinies on three separate playthroughs, all of which were at the start of the game, either in the Wild Area or just past Motostoke. My luck is usually pretty dismal in general, but the fact that I've had three totally random shiny encounters in Sword/Shield is something I'm stunned about, as my luck is NEVER that good. I guess Sword and Shield like me if they're willing to give me so many shinies, be it through breeding or just completely random, since these games are the ones that I've found/hatched the most shinies in all my years of Pokemon. I'm beginning to wonder what else is gonna get thrown at me at this rate.

FINALLY I masuda hatched a Frillish in Lilycove! :D It was simply a pain to the point where I went horde hunting for Aron to have a break! I love his greenish tone more so after evolving into Jellicent and its eyes are scarier than regular Frillish! I confess I was somewhat wanting a female one but I always prefer male Jellicent due to the "moustache".

In a Shield playthrough that I've been meaning to continue (but haven't had the chance due to frequently helping my folks lately) I was hunting for a Chinchou with Volt Absorb in Hulbury. I kept finding only ones with Illuminate, so that was an annoyance. However, by complete chance I fished up a shiny Blue Stripe Basculin! At full odds, too. He has a Brave nature and Adaptability as his ability. While I STILL haven't found my Volt Absorb Chinchou (keep running into Arrokudas) before deciding to call it quits for the night (that and my Switch Lite is getting low on battery power), I'm still very happy that I got a shiny Blue Stripe Basculin. Who knows? Maybe I'll use him for my Water type just for fun (though I might trade over a nature Mint, possibly either Naughty or Naive, to fix him up a bit), though I'm still going to look for that Volt Absorb Chinchou at least for Nessa's Gym. We'll just have to wait and see... or should I say "wait and sea". *chuckles* I'll show myself out now.

I managed to pull off the Cute Charm glitch in my Soul Silver. For those that don’t know, the glitch happens when you manage to get your Trainer ID to be within +/-30 of your hidden ID (essentially a second trainer ID that you can’t see without a device).

The glitch makes it so you have a huge chance to encounter shiny Pokémon as long as they can be both male or female and are the opposite gender as a Pokémon with Cute Charm at the front of your party. It can be done in any gen 4 game and is REALLY tough to pull off.

Anyways it took me two months straight of soft resetting, but I got it. As if that weren’t crazy enough, I managed to find a full odds Shiny Unown G (unaffected by the glitch since it’s genderless). That was pretty huge since as of gen 4, the shiny rate was still a minuscule 1/8192.

Anyways now I’m drowning in Shinies lol. It’s pretty fun.

I found a full odds shiny Roselia in a raid the other day! I don't have the shiny charm. I was quite shocked because I've always wanted a shiny Roselia. I'm not going to evolve it though. This is in SwSh

It finally happened: I hatched a shiny male Ralts on Monday. He's got 5IVs and he's now a level 100 Gallade because why not?

Currently, I'm trying for a shiny Scorbunny--his name will be Ricochet--and a shiny Grookey after that. I may try for a shiny Chewtle in-between, but I haven't completely committed to that just yet.

*EDIT*: Forgot to add--I also managed to get a shiny Golurk in a Max Raid battle last week. I had been trying for a while, but didn't have any luck until last Tuesday. I didn't even stop myself; when I was done with the battle, I chucked a Master Ball at him. (Sorry, it's a shiny Golurk. I am taking him with me!) Big lug's Impish with Iron Fist and has four perfect stats. Not too shabby, if I do say so myself.

Last edited:
Well, I just had a very profitable day with Surprise Trades in Sword. I was trading over a bunch of breeding leftovers (all HA Mons with 5 IVs) when I totally scored with FIVE shinies! I got a shiny HA Cinderace, a shiny HA Machamp, a shiny Skarmory, a shiny Porygon-Z, and a shiny Bouffalant, all of which were holding various items like Choice Specs, Leftovers, and Rocky Helmet and all with competitive natures, moves, and IVs. The really funny part is that the Skarmory, Porygon-Z, AND Bouffalant were all from the same guy: someone called Machamps.com, I just kept bumping into him over the airwaves. I was just merely getting rid of some clutter in my boxes and decided to Surprise Trade them for any possibly rookie trainers. Sure, I did get a bunch of Com Mons like Skwovet, too, but wow, not only did I rid of a bunch of breeding leftovers but I scored five shinies in the process. And here I thought today was a lousy day due to my previous bad night's sleep. Every cloud does have a silver lining.

Machamps.com are near achieving meme status btw. I'd be surprised if those pokemon aren't nicknamed Machamps.com

Meh, that means zilch to me. I don't bother to keep up with all that internet jargon, as it's not worth my time. I just like having shiny new toys to play experiment with.

Though, come to think of it, Cinderace was also "named" similarly. Something like Pkmnco.com or something along those line, though I'm too lazy to boot Sword back up and check. Ironically, only Machamp wasn't from either .com group, as its name was Hulk (how original) and came from a regular trainer (judging by the name). But, whatever, a shiny is a shiny, no matter the source, and I'm happy I got five new ones.

Meh, that means zilch to me. I don't bother to keep up with all that internet jargon, as it's not worth my time. I just like having shiny new toys to play experiment with.

Though, come to think of it, Cinderace was also "named" similarly. Something like Pkmnco.com or something along those line, though I'm too lazy to boot Sword back up and check. Ironically, only Machamp wasn't from either .com group, as its name was Hulk (how original) and came from a regular trainer (judging by the name). But, whatever, a shiny is a shiny, no matter the source, and I'm happy I got five new ones.
The thing with the .com is that they're hacked. If you like shinies like that, go ahead!

Back
Top Bottom