• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What are the chances that the Coronavirus causes episodes to be delayed or canceled?

Some people on Discord appear to be confused as to why the next few episodes are seemingly done, but are still being delayed. Admittedly I'm kind of confused too. I know post #94 by Adil in reply to santiagus says "Episodes being animated completely doesn't necessarily mean that they have also been recorded completely. They're two different things.", but I too am curious as to why they're holding off on showing these episodes if they are done instead of just delaying the show after showing the last fully made episode. Maybe we can get a little more clarity here.

Hopefully this post didn't sound stupid, lol. This whole thing really is confusing if you ask me.

Some people on Discord appear to be confused as to why the next few episodes are seemingly done, but are still being delayed. Admittedly I'm kind of confused too. I know post #94 by Adil in reply to santiagus says "Episodes being animated completely doesn't necessarily mean that they have also been recorded completely. They're two different things.", but I too am curious as to why they're holding off on showing these episodes if they are done instead of just delaying the show after showing the last fully made episode. Maybe we can get a little more clarity here.

Hopefully this post didn't sound stupid, lol. This whole thing really is confusing if you ask me.

I think it's because having some episodes ready to air by the time the hiatus is over will help the production team in the long run. If they go through every episode that is already done now, that could potentially backfire on them once they're able to work on more episodes, especially when they don't know how long it's going to be before they can go back into production. That could result in the hiatus going on longer if they have no episodes ready to air and a bigger sense of crunch time for the production staff. Some episodes also might not be finalized yet. The animation might be done, but that doesn't necessarily mean everything has been recorded and edited yet either.

I think it's because having some episodes ready to air by the time the hiatus is over will help the production team in the long run. If they go through every episode that is already done now, that could potentially backfire on them once they're able to work on more episodes, especially when they don't know how long it's going to be before they can go back into production. That could result in the hiatus going on longer if they have no episodes ready to air and a bigger sense of crunch time for the production staff. Some episodes also might not be finalized yet. The animation might be done, but that doesn't necessarily mean everything has been recorded and edited yet either.
That makes sense. Obviously I do think there's gonna be some crunch to get new episodes made, but hopefully it won't be too bad.

Why should the ratings matter though? I keep asking this every time this complaint come up and never get any kind of answer. While I agree that a hiatus won't have a huge negative impact on the franchise or the anime, the ratings are such a non-issue and shouldn't be used to determine the worth of the anime. The anime exists to promote the games and merchandise. Ratings don't factor in at all.

My point was that since the ratings are so shit anyways, then a hiatus most likely isn't going to impact the anime that badly. Yes merch sales drive the franchise overall but sales will always be massive even without the anime airing an episode every week for a while imo because kids in general will buy anything with a Pokemon logo on it anyways.

My biggest concern is this anime potentially overlapping with the gen 9 games once those come out. I hope to God that Game Freak isn't being forced or isn't forcing their employees to work on those games during this pandemic. That would be horrible. Surely they've halted production of those games and even the SwSh DLC to stay safe and healthy, right?

I feel like the development of Gen 9 games should be our least of our worries as far as the anime goes. I don't believe that research report that was posted before about quarantines lasting until 2022 so I don't think that the games will be halted until then, much less that the anime might fall behind schedule to the point where it would overlap with Gen 9. I mean if worse comes to worse the writing staff can always just scrap a bunch of filler episodes; most of y'all were complaining that we keep getting pointless episodes like the latest one that served no purpose anyways, so look at that two birds with one stone.

Personally, I'd rather no episodes get scrapped, but that's just me. I say that in fear of episodes with Sobble and Grookey in them getting scrapped. Yes I know, I'm biased, lol.
I can't say anything for sure, but this series is probably better able to handle a hiatus than any of the previous one would be able to; since the series has a globe trotting theme that makes it a lot easier to get some gen 9 promotion out without needing to rush through the plot to move everyone to the new region.

Best wishes to the staff and their loved ones that everybody is able to pull through this. I hope they aren't called back too soon to push episodes out.

My only question with this is, why did they showed a preview for the next episode at all. In my opinion they should end with a message or something of sorts. Not a preview for an episode that might not even come to be. That was the only thing that raised my eyebrows.
Also, people with allergies that get all the side looks at the mall, I get you!

My only question with this is, why did they showed a preview for the next episode at all. In my opinion they should end with a message or something of sorts. Not a preview for an episode that might not even come to be. That was the only thing that raised my eyebrows.
Also, people with allergies that get all the side looks at the mall, I get you!

This decision was most likely made at the last minute before they could have provided a message instead of the standard next episode preview. I wouldn't be surprised if they were trying to avoid a hiatus for as long as possible, similar to why we haven't had an official announcement for the upcoming movie despite how it is practically guaranteed to be moved to a different date later in the year.

It's extremely unlikely that any episode already in production gets canned. If anything they're still working on future episodes as we speak of, especially since OLM has moved to mostly working digitally now, and there's been a surge of web animators doing freelance work in the anime industry anyway. However, because voice actors are likely to stay off the booth for a while, episodes won't be able to be fully finished for a while, and it's pretty feasible that the previously scheduled episodes that got delayed had leftover lines that haven't been recorded yet, even if they're completed otherwise.

On the other hand, we have no way of knowing how this will affect the overall length of the series, and some episode ideas might get scrapped in the process, although that might not even be noticeable since I assume they probably scrap a lot of episode ideas before they go into production on a regular basis already.

The hiatus should mean that the writers can reflect on the twenty two episodes that have aired and see what's worked, what's gone down well with the fans and what hasn't, and use that when writing later episodes.

No, you had no reason to attack me there and to imply that I'm celebrating this. You're painting me as a heartless person who doesn't care what happens to the people who are working on the show. Guess what, I do. This is a fucking epedimic and I don't want people to die or lose their jobs over this and by the way: I have family who have been affected over this and I know just how bad this actually is. Hang your head in shame you insensitive person and to those who liked it, you're no better. What I read here was so disgusting because you're trivializing an epedimic. And I don't want to be apart of this forum any longer. I'm requesting a permanent ban.
A ban for who or what? And sure, you can be critical, but requesting to change the whole anime is asking alot. Pokemon is about having fun and if you dont have fun, maybe its time to move on.

Last edited:
No, you had no reason to attack me there and to imply that I'm celebrating this. You're painting me as a heartless person who doesn't care what happens to the people who are working on the show. Guess what, I do. This is a f**king epedimic and I don't want people to die or lose their jobs over this and by the way: I have family who have been affected over this and I know just how bad this actually is. Hang your head in shame you insensitive person and to those who liked it, you're no better. What I read here was so disgusting because you're trivializing an epedimic. And I don't want to be apart of this forum any longer. I'm requesting a permanent ban.
It's made clear by all of your posts that you hate the anime and want it cancelled, and will use any excuse to complain about it. And use profanity on a post for a forum regarding a family-friendly franchise. And cannot take criticism whenever we try to point out your comments.

COVID-19 is a serious issue, I agree, but it's no excuse for you to attack the anime, wish for it to be cancelled, and force your opinions on us.

Last edited:
Out of curiosity, are there other anime shows on hold? The only one I'm currently following is the new Digimon, which is still running by this point (even though it aired 3 episodes only by now)
Toei confirmed on Twitter that both Digimon and One Piece are both going on a hiatus.

View: https://twitter.com/toeianimation/status/1252039906483793920?s=21

Nothing on the Yu-Gi-Oh side yet with the new series Sevens but it's likely that's next on the COVID delay hit list.

Where did I attack the anime in my post? Please, where? Where in my posting history have I ever suggested that the anime staff should get fired? Of course I didn't, and you know that.
Look, now you're just putting words into people's mouths. I never suggested that you wanted the writers fired. Just that you believe that the anime should be cancelled for poor writing and being aimed at preschoolers. And people can look up your history in posts and find plenty of evidence that you bash the anime or, in one case, outright call for it to be cancelled.

Of course you or anyone else didn't mention that because you couldn't use it to attack me.

And don't bother responding because unless you're willing to lie more, you're only wasting yours and my time. And I'm so done with this toxic forum. I figured in 2020 we were above attacking other people, but I guess not. ‍♂‍♂
We're more used to your negative comments than your positive ones. If anything, you're shooting yourself in the foot for attacking people for not agreeing to your opinions, accusing us of fake news, and now pretending you're the only decent person on this forum while we're all toxic when we're just speaking about the future for the anime in regards to this COVID-19 hiatus.

For now, I would rather we get back on topic instead of continuing this nonsense. I've seen quite a few threads lately that went a few pages off-topic.

Toei confirmed on Twitter that both Digimon and One Piece are both going on a hiatus.

View: https://twitter.com/toeianimation/status/1252039906483793920?s=21

Nothing on the Yu-Gi-Oh side yet with the new series Sevens but it's likely that's next on the COVID delay hit list.

With big titles like Pokemon, Digimon and One Piece all going on hiatus, it's just a matter of time before they announce a hiatus for Sevens. At most, I could see them airing one more episode, especially if they want to include a message to the audience at the end of the episode, but I'll be surprised if they don't make an announcement sometime during this week about a delay.

I wonder if Kiramager's also going on hiatus or if it already is. I'm not really following it but anyone knows how the tokusatsu are doing?

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom