• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Is it possible that the anime writers dislike Professor Magnolia?

No, it's just that the anime isn't as focused on Galar or on Dynamaxing (the main gimmick of the region that she studies) as it would've been in past generations. It took us 12 episodes to even have a Galarian (Leon) character debut outright. I'm willing to bet that she'll be introduced at the same time as, or soon after, Sonia's debut (she's probably involved in some assignment Professor Magnolia asked her to investigate or something).

Doubt it has anything to do with personal negative feelings towards the character. It's just the way this series has been paced so far that's made her debut so delayed. I mean, Sobble - a freaking starter of the new Gen, is being introduced at Episode 28.

She'll have to appear one way or another, she's the authority on D/G-Max transformations and Ash+Pikachu will need to learn more about how to effectively use that chonky form. It's quite obvious the final match-up will be between G-Max'd Pikachu and Charizard.

Nah but having too much professors around is too much. I mean Oak, Cerice, Kukui?, Magolia and her grandchild.

Is Kukui confirmed to appear!?

Also, the episode with Sonia's debut will most likely be Magnolia's physical debut as well (since she was seen on Gou's phone briefly).

It's nothing personal. They just decided to make the series about the franchise as a whole--mainly GO--instead of Sword & Shield (for some ungodly reason). She'll have to show up sooner or later.

Not a single Go character has shown up yet. A list of game characters to date:

Prof. Oak
Giovanni (brief)
Lance
Korrina
Leon
Raihan
Sonia

Prof. Mongolia and Lt. Surge merely got cameos with no lines.

If anything and this might sound like a conspiracy theory, but I think it's possible the writers dislike or even hate Sword and Shield. Maybe they didn't like what Game Freak did with those games (stuff like dynamax and "dexit") and decided to put more focus on the Go aspect as a way to stick it to Game Freak. Personally I enjoyed SwSh, but maybe the writers thought those games didn't meet their expectations and just weren't in the mood to give Galar much love. Maybe that's why we haven't seen much love for Galar (yet).

We are getting dynamax, Leon as the primary end goal for one of the protagonist, we have Scorbunny's line as the signature Pokemon for the other protagonist. We are also going to see Sonia, Raihan, and the other two Galar starters. I don't think the writers "hate" SS at all. Besides Kanto, that region and it's characters have gotten the most focus.

Johto is the one that is getting jobbed the most.

No, because here is the thing

Other than giving out the Dynamax feature to the player and Hop in the games, there are so many other characters who can give it out in the anime (Leon gave it to Ash for example). Magnolia was only the professor in name in the games, while Sonia did the Pyroars share of the work. This was probably because Magnolia was close to her retirement in the games. She didn't show up that often and for the things she showed up for, we can have other characters doing that instead.

Personally, the anime is planned out pretty well most of the time, there may be some unexpected events that take place, but in the end, they make up for it in some way or another.

I highly doubt they dislike the character, because they plan out the role for each and every one of them ahead of time, and sometimes it takes longer for the best opportunity to include a certain person in the anime to best fit the situation. Sometimes I feel that they do it to raise the suspense level, or anticipation for a debut of a certain character or pokemon, just like they do for battles or cliffhangers before the next episode is created/aired.

If anything and this might sound like a conspiracy theory, but I think it's possible the writers dislike or even hate Sword and Shield. Maybe they didn't like what Game Freak did with those games (stuff like dynamax and "dexit") and decided to put more focus on the Go aspect as a way to stick it to Game Freak. Personally I enjoyed SwSh, but maybe the writers thought those games didn't meet their expectations and just weren't in the mood to give Galar much love. Maybe that's why we haven't seen much love for Galar (yet).

I highly doubt that is the case for a number of reasons. They would have had to plan and develop this series well before any of the backlash towards Sword/Shield happened. It takes time to write out, animate and record these episodes after all. Even if that somehow wasn't the case, it still wouldn't make sense given how the series has treated Galar. We have seen Dynamax, Ash's main goal in the series is to defeat Leon, Gou's partner Pokemon is Raboot and they were promoting more Galar Pokemon and characters in the recent trailer like Sobble, Sonia and Raihan. As much as I wish we could have a more traditional journey through the Galar region at this point, I don't think that they hate the games or the region by not doing that either.

I also still find it rather annoying that people still say that this series is centered around Pokemon Go. I can understand why given Gou's name, how he captures Pokemon and the few Raid Battles shown thus far, but to say that the series is mainly about Go feels too disingenuous or at least too much of an exaggeration given that it still sounds more surface level than anything else.

As for the question itself, it's kind of strange given that Professor Magnolia really doesn't have a huge role in the games either, so not giving her a speaking role yet doesn't really mean much. Sonia has a bigger presence than her grandmother and since she is going to appear in the anime, I imagine that Professor Magnolia will get at least some kind of speaking lines.

Sun & Moon started it's Anime Pre-Production in Late-2015, It's probably the same for this Series as well so they can't adjust to Immediate Reactions whether it's Backlash/Praise or BBND. Also the Anime gets permission from the Game Staff if they want to do something ambitious. For example, We know Ohmori helped a little with the SM Anime and is also credited in the Opening of the New Series for some creative concepts.

A bit off-topic but how important is Professor Magnolia to the plot of Sword and Shield compared to previous professors?
I honestly see more stuff about Sonia pop up but I haven't played the games.

A bit off-topic but how important is Professor Magnolia to the plot of Sword and Shield compared to previous professors?
I honestly see more stuff about Sonia pop up but I haven't played the games.

She does contribute to the world building a bit since she spent years studying Dynamax, but her overall presence in the game feels more limited than the last couple of Professors. Sonia is her assistant, but she appears much more frequently throughout the games.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom