• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh Sword & Shield: Expansion Pass

Quite a few comments on youtube, reddit or other forums call the Isle of Armor tropical, even though it looks almost like an exact copy of the Isle of Wight.

Having forests and bogs =/= tropical. The only 'odd' bit is the sandpit. But rainshadow, I guess.

The Isle of Wight has some palm trees, by the way. In case of Exeggcutor.

Actually it's based of the Isle of Man, not the isle of Wight. The Pokemon company confirmed this in one of their tweets :)

The Channel Islands (Jersey and Guernsey) being further south are probably better equivalencies for hotter climate British islands - and there relation to France also adds a nice reason for any Kalos Pokémon not being in the main game being included in IoA.

I do find it strange that the Pokémon company outright stated it was inspired by the Isle of Man when they could have stated several islands as inspiration and got a better amount of UK representation out of it.

View: https://twitter.com/PokemonNewsUK/status/1216731889920368643?s=20

The artwork in the below looks somewhat tropical with the clear water and light colored sands in my opinion so that might be where the perception is from.
theisleofarmor.jpg

I get that perception but:

AB21BA7B-747E-4E73-8E26-481127328FE2.jpeg

Freshwater Bay - Isle of Wight

21909B3D-FF88-4F78-9F44-400714E71BAD.jpeg

Durdle Door - Dorset

I get that perception but:

Freshwater Bay - Isle of Wight

Durdle Door - Dorset
Could you at least put those images in Spoilers, so it doesn't make the page needlessly bigger?

I'm honestly not surprised people think that IoA is in a tropical setting. The fact that the last two sets of games before Let's Go where both on islands, with one being a series of tropical islands (Alola) and the other being in a tropical-esc setting (Hoenn), people are probably conflating islands in Pokemon to the tropics as a result.

The Switch keeps DLC in general for all games that support them as it's not based on the profile but it's actually based on the account that you created those profiles in.

Welp, here comes the salt
Because I know there are people who will take any excuse to hate on James Turner

D013D177-7565-4270-B934-58118794B16F.jpeg

View attachment 133723

James designed Centiskorch!
One, I really like his personal art-style as it looks very satisfying.
1591738942454.png

Look at those smooth lines
Two, I wouldn't have guessed that Centiskorch was a Pokemon he designed. Granted, I'm far from an expert on his Pokemon designs.

Last edited:
I guess this is the... uhm... 50-something Pokémon where we actually know who designed it.

Sometimes I wish the credits of the games included who designed which Pokémon. At least that would kill the perception that some people have that Turner and Sugimori are the only two people designing Pokémon.

I guess this is the... uhm... 50-something Pokémon where we actually know who designed it.

Sometimes I wish the credits of the games included who designed which Pokémon. At least that would kill the perception that some people have that Turner and Sugimori are the only two people designing Pokémon.
For all we know, Atsuko Nishida and Motofumi Fujiwara make nearly perfect designs

(They designed the eeveelutions if someone didn't understand the context)

Most designs are done by a team, which are then passed on to James and Ken Sugimori for approval and revision. Of course, Sugimori and James also design their own Pokemon for the games. I imagine that with James as the art director for SwSh, any Pokemon that would have been designed by Sugimori would have gone to James for approval, and vice versa for prior games.

Most designs are done by a team, which are then passed on to James and Ken Sugimori for approval and revision. Of course, Sugimori and James also design their own Pokemon for the games. I imagine that with James as the art director for SwSh, any Pokemon that would have been designed by Sugimori would have gone to James for approval, and vice versa for prior games.
Yes, but the thing is, there are people that really act as if they are the only guys, and they generally do it in a "Sugimori is God, Turner is Satan" way, which makes people misblame Turner for everything bad and miscredit Sugimori for everything good.

It's pretty annoying, which is why I feel knowing who designed what would clear misunderstandings (and would be good trivia for nerds like us).

Yes, but the thing is, there are people that really act as if they are the only guys, and they generally do it in a "Sugimori is God, Turner is Satan" way, which makes people misblame Turner for everything bad and miscredit Sugimori for everything good.

It's pretty annoying, which is why I feel knowing who designed what would clear misunderstandings (and would be good trivia for nerds like us).
It’s just that Turner actually designed one or two Pokémon some people don’t like, and hence they tend to accidentally attribute the cartoonish out of proportion style to him. This has further been aggravated by the fact that Turner probably approved a lot of designs for SwSh, since he was the art director and a lot of them are not well received due to issues like off proportions, art style and humanoid-ism.

I’m just trying to understand where people come from. I’m not fond of some James Turner designs, but he’s given us gems like Naganadel and Centiskorch.

It’s just that Turner actually designed one or two Pokémon some people don’t like, and hence they tend to accidentally attribute the cartoonish out of proportion style to him. This has further been aggravated by the fact that Turner probably approved a lot of designs for SwSh, since he was the art director and a lot of them are not well received due to issues like off proportions, art style and humanoid-ism.

I’m just trying to understand where people come from. I’m not fond of some James Turner designs, but he’s given us gems like Naganadel and Centiskorch.
I don't see too much negativity about the gen 8 designs, though.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom