• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Do you still play the Pokemon games?

I do play the games from time to time, but not very often - I picked up Emerald again, and that’s the first Pokemon game I’ve played for a good six or seven months.

I like it that way, though. Playing them back-to-back would make each game feel less fresh.

Yes, I do. I haven't played any of the newer titles on the Switch yet, but I sure haven't given up on the series.

I may not replay the main games that much anymore, since I don't want to overwrite all of my work the first time around. But I did replay FireRed last year with the goal to complete as much in-game content as I could without outside trades, and also more recently loaded Yellow and decided I wanted to make the Pokédex as complete as I could in that, too (lol). Then I played through Detective Pikachu after that, if we're also including spin-offs in this discussion, some of which I may like to replay.

Yes, of course. In fact, I sometimes play a few games at the same time. Right now, for instance, I am finishing my third playthrough of Shield (and almost completing my Galar Pokedex for the first time), I am also finishing my second playthrough of SoulSilver (damn, that game is way harder than the newer ones!), I'm on the middle of my second Ultra Sun playthrough, and I'm starting a second playthrough of X with a Mexican-themed team. So far I have:

Alakazam, named Huayolotl (not really Mexican-themed, but I strangely never played with it before and it kind of looks like a Shaman or a Nahual)
Manetric, named Tlaloc (kind of reminded me of an Aztec or Maya priest in a dog form)
Hawlucha, named Quetzal (this one is obvious).

As I progress in that playthrough, I'm including Tauros (because of Spanish bullfighting), Ludicolo (again, obvious), and Weavile (it kind of looks like an Aztec Tlatoani).

Basically, the reason why I keep going back is because I like to try teams with Pokemon I have never used before (or long ago), plus I like to try Pokemon to know which ones I enjoy playing the most with so I can kind of create an "Ultimate" team of sorts and enjoy playing with every Pokemon in my party. Some Pokemon I play with once and since they are unremarkable, weak or not very versatile, I will probably no longer play with them anymore.

Last edited:
I still play all the generations, yes. I usually am always working towards something in Pokémon, whether it be getting ribbons on Pokémon or doing a playthrough of a game for a move tutor move (Mimic or Metronome) something like that. I'm currently doing a semi speed run of Red to get the TM for Mimic and teach it to either Gyarados or Eevee (evolve into Umbreon) and I've been playing Gen 4 a lot lately just training Pokémon and such... I have a lot of time on my hands since I'm unable to work right now so playing Pokémon is great.

I still play the Pokemon games. But I've known for a while, now, that it won't be practical for me to keep up with the latest ones indefinitely. I don't play any other video games, so whenever I've bought a new console, it's always been for the sole purpose of playing the next generation of Pokemon. It's an expensive hobby, and as I get older and my interests broaden, the cost is becoming increasingly difficult to justify.

A while back, I devised a plan that I would one day choose a game to be my "main" game - choosing one region to take up permanent residence in, if you like, and letting the series carry on without me. And Sword is that game, for me. I live in the UK, so I've connected with the Galar region on a more personal level than any region before it. I feel like I've finally found my "definitive" generation, and for this reason, I'm happy to make the Switch my last console. I'll be playing the rest of the main series games that are released for the Switch, but Sword will always be my "main" one from now on.

I'll always be a Pokemon fan, because it's a multimedia franchise - even if I'm not keeping up-to-date with the latest games, there's plenty of other media to engage with. And I can't see myself ever parting with my collection of older games, so I'll be revisiting those from time to time. As someone who prefers the single-player aspect of the Pokemon games and rarely goes online, I find that the older games never lose their replay value.

I might get tempted back to the new games in 2040 when the virtual reality Galar remake comes out...

Last edited:
I'll probably keep playing pokemon games until the day I die. :p

Unless of course they completely and drastically change the basic gameplay. I come for many cute critters in turn based combat while I travel through a region and see the character designs of trainers and gym leaders and what have you. Plus I love seeing new regions for my internal world building.

I greatly enjoyed Shield. The DLC is just a cherry on top. And the Crowned Tundra seems like its gonna be even better than the Isle of Armor.

They finally also got me to use and love a legendary pokemon in Kubfu/Urshifu. So that's impressive too.

However by "play" in this instance, I really only play USUM for the sake of using my mythicals in battles here and there for my entertainment and level grinding certain Pokemon here and there. I'm not as invested as I used to be, because there's not really much else I can do. It kinda sucks because this is pretty much what has kept me going since I skipped LGPE, so I'm hoping Gen 8 will be different enough to sink more hours

700+ hours and going strong! of course, a huge chunk of that is shiny hunting and raiding with friends, but i'm not disappointed. :>

Yeah every three years or so I start new playthroughs just to have fun with them again.
I like replaying Gens 4 and 5 the best since there is so much to do

Yup I still do and I get the games as their released.At the moment I am in a Pokemon kick and have just finished doing a play through of Pokemon Gold(VC).Plus I also managed to finish Pearl earlier this year for the first time.

I have just started replaying Pokemon Emerald and have plans to replay the others if I have time.

Also set up my GC for Colosseum and been playing it every so often recently but it’s just been too hot so I mostly been sticking to playing the handhelds. I just find Pokemon relaxing.

Yes, but not as intensely as before. I'm way more into other RPGs such as Final Fantasy nowadays. Pokemon for me is just until the endgame, then I'm done, no post-game content whatsoever unless very important (Episode Delta for eg).

Still get all core games on day one though.

SInce I decided not to get a Nintendo Switch due to my grudge on Sword/Shield, I still play Black 2 and sometimes Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon. I do still have my New 3DS XL, even though I barely used it now. (I am a PC gamer nowadays.)

SInce I decided not to get a Nintendo Switch due to my grudge on Sword/Shield, I still play Black 2 and sometimes Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon. I do still have my New 3DS XL, even though I barely used it now. (I am a PC gamer nowadays.)
really? You're not getting the Nintendo Switch all because of ONE game?

I still do. Only in XY I thought about giving up, but the Alola games got me back into the games (ORAS would have done the same in hindsight, but I didn't have money at the time).

To be fair, there is a possibility that the only reason they were going to get a Switch was because of Pokemon.
I think the problem is how they worded the post.

Yes! I go in alphabetical order, playing a different game every month. The video games at the end of the alphabetical order are the Trails games, so each time I play a new one, I start over at the beginning of the alphabetical order, which is the Pokemon games. And when a new Pokemon game comes out, I play that, then keep going in order of the Pokemon games that come after. So I'm playing Pokemon games several months out of the year.

I like to play the games over and over, each time with a different team, in Pokedex order. I'm almost at the end of the Gen I and Gen IV Pokedexes. At that point, I'll finally "retire" them so I can do more playthroughs of Pokemon games whose 'dexes I've barely begun to crack, like Gens VI and VIII.

Nothing much has changed in the past year, which is to say that I've only played Masters about twice a week on average (it barely feels as if I've made progress since December). I'll probably play a hack soon enough, but I'm still angry that the one complete Spaceworld hack is a bit on the lazy side.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom