• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh Sword & Shield: Expansion Pass

That's interesting! Honestly having Slowbro probably makes them a top tier NPC partner. Haven't seen Klara yet in my game, though.

Where you at, Hop?

Just to clarify, I haven't seen Avery (I'm playing Sword), I just assumed that if Klara was showing in mine then it was safe to bet that Shield players would see Avery.

this was found in the datamine:
It's one of the 4 expeditions that have been found in the datamine, and it's for the Crown Tundra
View attachment 133981
So maybe they will return.
The Ultra beasts aren't in the isle of armor

Oh cool! Please don't let them be raids. I want ultra wormholes pleaseeeeeeee

I just finished it but these are my initial thoughts:
-The island is big. Like really, really big. Nice diversity with many different areas. This is what the original Wild Area should've been like
-Once again, most returning pokémon are from Kanto, with a big amount of Unova mons returning as well. Kanto pandering is just a given at this point but I'm happy that Unova is getting some love. Sadly no other starters.
-Very few Hoenn and Sinnoh pokémon. I guess remakes could still happen.
-The story is super short. Someone was saying 4 hours. Nah, more like 2 if you ignore everything else.
-The characters are fun. Like the rivals already.
I hate Kubfu or whatever it is called.
-Following pokemon are back, hell yeah!!!!! Too bad it's just on the island.

I finished my playthrough earlier and slept on my thoughts a bit.

• The story is cute, and the little quests were kind of fun but didn't provide much of a challenge. It's pretty short, but I was expecting nothing longer than 3-5 hours. It doesn't reach that mark if you wait to explore or do all the exploring beforehand though. I think the only real disappointing part of the story for me was the Towers. The Mustard fight with his Kubfu was cool, but these towers seemed so hyped up and for it just to be like 4 (might be 5, can't remember) trainers and then Mustard is kind of anti-climatic.
  • The lack of more regional variants or G-Max forms is a bit disappointing as well. I was hoping we would see a few more, but I guess technically the site is correct when they say the plural of regional variants for the Isle of Armor since Galar Slowpoke and Slowbro have a variant. It's just kind of a shame there were no more.
  • The music is pretty good. Nothing has really stuck to me yet, but it's all pretty catchy.
  • The characters are excellent and definitely lived up to my expectations. They did a really good job with the characters in the base game so I was expecting nothing less than awesome. I'll have to check out how Avery is for Shield by watching walkthroughs, but Klara is awesome. She is such a B and she really pulls off the big ego. I was not expecting that rudeness coming from her, but she pulled it off well. Mustard was wonderful, and I really liked the motherly vibe from Honey. Also, my boy Hop making an appearance at the end was great.
  • The Isle of Armor itself is absolutely amazing! I sang some of its praises earlier but I can't repeat it enough. I enjoyed the Wild Area in the base game, but the main problem I noticed with it was just the lack of variety in environments. It's all grassy plains with the only interesting things being a forest, the dusty bowl area, and the rock formations out past the Lake of Outrage. It's a decent-sized area, but it feels pretty small because of the lack of variety. The IoA has a TON of variety. There's the wide-open ocean, the sandy beaches, and ocean surrounded by rocks, the marsh area, the complete maze of a forest I got lost in 3 times, caves, a desert area, and rocky cliffs. It makes the space feel so massive and there's just always cool things to discover at every turn. I felt like Leon constantly losing my way. They did an excellent job with that.
  • What the HECK is that Wild Sharpedo?! I'm not even scared of sharks or the ocean, but that thing is just terrifying! Something about seeing that splashing water out in the distance leaves me trembling and scared to go forward. I have such mixed feelings about it because I just want to explore the ocean without having to watch all my sides, but also it's thrilling knowing it's always just a little ways behind you.
  • Bike customization and more character customization is nice. I haven't seen a lot of the male options, but I saw some of the female ones. But like where my sleeveless tops at GF? In the Alola games, I was missing long sleeves and in these games, I'm missing sleeveless tops. Can't we just do a Kalos and have em both?
  • Following Pokemon RETURNS. And it is amazing. I wish it could be everywhere, but I'll take being able to explore that wonderful space with all my friends. I hope that will be something that sticks for the Crowned Tundra.
Overall, I'd say it's pretty good. Some parts didn't quite meet my expectations, while another pretty much floored them. The Isle of armor on its own doesn't justify the $30 price point, but I think the addition of the Crowned Tundra might push it over.

-
  • The Isle of Armor itself is absolutely amazing! I sang some of its praises earlier but I can't repeat it enough. I enjoyed the Wild Area in the base game, but the main problem I noticed with it was just the lack of variety in environments. It's all grassy plains with the only interesting things being a forest, the dusty bowl area, and the rock formations out past the Lake of Outrage. It's a decent-sized area, but it feels pretty small because of the lack of variety. The IoA has a TON of variety. There's the wide-open ocean, the sandy beaches, and ocean surrounded by rocks, the marsh area, the complete maze of a forest I got lost in 3 times, caves, a desert area, and rocky cliffs. It makes the space feel so massive and there's just always cool things to discover at every turn. I felt like Leon constantly losing my way. They did an excellent job with that.
-
  • Following Pokemon RETURNS. And it is amazing. I wish it could be everywhere, but I'll take being able to explore that wonderful space with all my friends. I hope that will be something that sticks for the Crowned Tundra.
Overall, I'd say it's pretty good. Some parts didn't quite meet my expectations, while another pretty much floored them. The Isle of armor on its own doesn't justify the $30 price point, but I think the addition of the Crowned Tundra might push it over.

Man, if only they patched the main game to bring them to the same quality as what's mentioned here.

I’ve got as far as getting Kubfu and about to do one of the towers. So far I feel the expansion pass is worth the money, if CT has a similar amount of content to IoA then I’d say that the expansion pass surpasses the amount of new content typically added for a third version.

Personally I’d still prefer a third version game to DLC but that’s just because of personal preference and play style.

Part I’d me doesn’t want to evolve Kubfu but I want the full Pokédex so I guess I’ll be using a second file to get a Kubfu to not evolve.

Part I’d me doesn’t want to evolve Kubfu but I want the full Pokédex so I guess I’ll be using a second file to get a Kubfu to not evolve.

Funny enough, Mustard actually has a special dialogue flag just in case your Kubfu is holding an Everstone when you defeat one of the towers. He basically says that’s cool and that he trusts you to know what the right decision for Kubfu is.

I finished my playthrough earlier and slept on my thoughts a bit.

• The story is cute, and the little quests were kind of fun but didn't provide much of a challenge. It's pretty short, but I was expecting nothing longer than 3-5 hours. It doesn't reach that mark if you wait to explore or do all the exploring beforehand though. I think the only real disappointing part of the story for me was the Towers. The Mustard fight with his Kubfu was cool, but these towers seemed so hyped up and for it just to be like 4 (might be 5, can't remember) trainers and then Mustard is kind of anti-climatic.
  • The lack of more regional variants or G-Max forms is a bit disappointing as well. I was hoping we would see a few more, but I guess technically the site is correct when they say the plural of regional variants for the Isle of Armor since Galar Slowpoke and Slowbro have a variant. It's just kind of a shame there were no more.
  • The music is pretty good. Nothing has really stuck to me yet, but it's all pretty catchy.
  • The characters are excellent and definitely lived up to my expectations. They did a really good job with the characters in the base game so I was expecting nothing less than awesome. I'll have to check out how Avery is for Shield by watching walkthroughs, but Klara is awesome. She is such a B and she really pulls off the big ego. I was not expecting that rudeness coming from her, but she pulled it off well. Mustard was wonderful, and I really liked the motherly vibe from Honey. Also, my boy Hop making an appearance at the end was great.
  • What the HECK is that Wild Sharpedo?! I'm not even scared of sharks or the ocean, but that thing is just terrifying! Something about seeing that splashing water out in the distance leaves me trembling and scared to go forward. I have such mixed feelings about it because I just want to explore the ocean without having to watch all my sides, but also it's thrilling knowing it's always just a little ways behind you.
  • Bike customization and more character customization is nice. I haven't seen a lot of the male options, but I saw some of the female ones. But like where my sleeveless tops at GF? In the Alola games, I was missing long sleeves and in these games, I'm missing sleeveless tops. Can't we just do a Kalos and have em both?

I pretty much agree with everything here. Played the expansion yesterday and finished it. Currently getting some more Max Mushrooms so I can get my new bred Rillaboom his G-Max form. Crown Tundra going to be cool, but I hope its somewhat longer than Isle of Armor.

I think, if I ever start up a new game with Sword, that I will do Isle of Armor with a new team using Kubfu with catching Pokémon exclusively from the Isle. Sounds like a fair challenge.

Last edited:
I have kinda mixed feelings on the isle of armor so far.

On one hand the "wild area" of the Isle of Armor is easily more interesting to explore and seems to be better designed than the base game wild area. Though in a way that just makes me wish we could have started with this kind of wild area right from the get go.

I also like Avery as a rival quite a lot, in general the characters are nice.

The story part is definitely underwhelming though, I like Avery so it's a shame that they basically have to cram his character development into the span of like 2 hours. Also I wonder what the deal is with having no trainers in the wild area, it would have been appreciated to have a bunch of them scattered across the island.

I suppose I don't feel as bad about it because of the price tag though. If this had been like €49-€54 euros then even with the crown of tundra as well (assuming it's more of the same) I'm not sure I would have felt it to be worth the price. As it stands I guess it's not that bad.

List of Pokemon unavailable for transfer from Home after DLCs

Pidgey
Pidgeotto
Pidgeot
Paras
Parasect
Unown
Teddiursa
Ursaring
Stantler
Smeargle
Plusle
Minun
Gulpin
Swalot
Spinda
Zangoose
Castform
Kecleon
Tropius
Chimecho
Clamperl
Huntail
Gorebyss
Luvdisc
Turtwig
Grotle
Torterra
Chimchar
Monferno
Infernape
Piplup
Prinplup
Empoleon
Starly
Staravia
Staraptor
Bidoof
Bibarel
Kricketot
Kricketune
Cranidos
Rampardos
Shieldon
Bastiodon
Pachirisu
Buizel
Floatzel
Glameow
Purugly
Chingling
Chatot
Carnivine
Finneon
Lumineon
Phione
Manaphy
Shaymin
Arceus
Blitzle
Zebstrika
Sewaddle
Swadloon
Leavanny
Alomomola
Flabébé
Floette
Florges
Clawitzer
Clauncher

Pseudo-confirms what we suspected - Gen 4 remakes soon. Seems they currently have no idea how to re-implement Unown.
This list seems pretty accurate. Personally, I think it's spot on.

Funny enough, Mustard actually has a special dialogue flag just in case your Kubfu is holding an Everstone when you defeat one of the towers. He basically says that’s cool and that he trusts you to know what the right decision for Kubfu is.
Can the Kubfu evolve later? What exactly is the evolution requirement for it? And is there any story associated with it? The reason why it was given to the player or anything else?

Sorry to bombard with questions but that hasn’t been answered anywhere I've seen. Reddit's Pokemon subreddit is also a mess due to the memes and stuff.

There is story tied to why you get Kubfu and it’s evolved by something in the towers - edit put the thing in the spoiler below

at the top of the tower it reads a scroll that triggers the evolution

Ive just done the tower of Darkness, didn’t try to go back but seems like it’s evolve it then or don’t evolve it at all.

Given that Kubfu and Urshifu are Legendary it seems somewhat minor as an evolution problem but:

they could easily have books in a library or lab type setting that you could use to evolve Kubfu. In the IoA story you even get told some info about Urshifu that a character recently read in a book.

If anyone wants Alakazam without trading:
you can find them on a somewhat larger island in the Loop Lagoon, south and west (I think, hard to say without an in game compass but judging from the map) of the entrance to Courageous Cavern.

Has anyone seen Scizor in Sword? I've looked around where I found a Scyther but no luck so far.

Also Honey is the biggest ripoff artist. She says we can get vitamins for 100,000 watts then only puts two types in the machine.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom