• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

June 24th Pokemon Presents Discussion

What do you think the new project will be?

• Sinnoh Remakes

Votes: 11 21.2%
  • Let's Go Johto

Votes: 12 23.1%
  • Something else

Votes: 29 55.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
People are finally starting to face up to the realisation that the franchise they grew up with is dead, replaced by just another mobile gaming company and I can tell you that it hurts.
Let’s reel it in a bit here. This announcement isn’t in any way indicative of the franchise becoming “a mobile gaming company”. In fact it’s...playable on the Switch. The franchise’s core is still console based and that’s where most of of its revenue lies.

I don’t know how many times the fact that Sword and Shield are on course to becoming the third best selling Pokémon main series games of all time has to be brought up before the whole ‘Pokémon is dying’ thing stops.

The significant difference between Pokémon ‘back in the day’ and Pokémon now is that Pokémon now is the largest media franchise in the world. Read that last bit again.

Sometimes it’s as if people think every single thing Pokémon related thing is thought up, developed and released by one lonely guy, desperately spinning plates, trying to prevent them from crashing down around him as he gets more and more tired.

The main series won’t be affected by this. Not the quality, not the schedule. People can complain all they like about what they consider flaws in the main series but mobile games, spin off games, random products with the word Pokémon on them, are not to blame. Seriously there is sooooooo much reading material just on these forums alone that proves all of that. Time and time and time and time again.

I don't think I've seen the like/dislike ratio that lopsided since Rick Perry's presidential campaign ad in 2012.

Anyway, stuff like Unite doesn't really do anything for me, but these overreactions are pretty funny to read.

What is tencent and why is it so bad? . The mobile games usually dont last 2 years unless your name is Go

I don’t know how many times the fact that Sword and Shield are on course to becoming the third best selling Pokémon main series games of all time has to be brought up before the whole ‘Pokémon is dying’ thing stops.

The significant difference between Pokémon ‘back in the day’ and Pokémon now is that Pokémon now is the largest media franchise in the world. Read that last bit again.

Sometimes it’s as if people think every single thing Pokémon related thing is thought up, developed and released by one lonely guy, desperately spinning plates, trying to prevent them from crashing down around him as he gets more and more tired.

The main series won’t be affected by this. Not the quality, not the schedule. People can complain all they like about what they consider flaws in the main series but mobile games, spin off games, random products with the word Pokémon on them, are not to blame. Seriously there is sooooooo much reading material just on these forums alone that proves all of that. Time and time and time and time again.

Heck, Pokémon is immune to failure

What is tencent and why is it so bad? . The mobile games usually dont last 2 years unless your name is Go

A technology company in China with its fingers in a lot of pies. They're also VERY shady (rumor has it they even fund the Chinese government's evil deeds)

Here's info on their video game department since it's the most relevant to the situation:

Last edited:
I didn't expect a Tencent game to be the new game annoucement, but it looks cool. I don't see myself playing it since I'm not into those types of games like Unite is, but consdering it looks to be geared toward the Chinese market, this game is likely gonna be pretty big.

Quick food for thought - isn't the genre of MOBA sorta "dying", like MMOs already did? I remember years ago when MMORPGs were really popular and it seemed like every year there were a couple new ones, and the maps were filled with other players.... MMOs are still around, of course, but if you've played them at their "prime" and do check in now, it's pretty noticable that there's less people online generally, the genre itself or rather its high popularity is dead at this point, which is why there's not 20 new MMOs coming up every year anymore (and if you do start one, it's pretty lonely.)
It felt like MOBAs are approaching that state, too, since they became less and less relevant so I'm not sure if now's the right time to announce (and even later launch) a bootleg League of Legends with a Pokémon skin. (Not entirely accurate but close enough.)

That said, with New Pokémon Snap already having been announced prior and Crown Tundra on the way, there's still stuff for me personally to look forward to. Today could've added another game to the list of things I look forward to this year, but oh well.

All I hope for now is that Pokémon Unite actually will flop as much if not more than the like/dislike ratio implies and thus will become irrelevant pretty soon. I mean, even Pokémon Masters isn't exactly that much of a cashcow, apparently, and gacha games usually tend to bring in some good money. With any luck, New Pokémon Snap might even release in winter this year or so, who knows. Or early next year.

I don't agree with those who say "It's your fault only" when it's the PR talking about a big project, off course that's going to get people excited and that's the problem. If your "big project" is another microtransaction-infested game then yeah, people have the right to be upset at the total bullcrap lie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom