• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

June 24th Pokemon Presents Discussion

What do you think the new project will be?

• Sinnoh Remakes

Votes: 11 21.2%
  • Let's Go Johto

Votes: 12 23.1%
  • Something else

Votes: 29 55.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why does everyone think MOBAs are becoming less popular? If anything, they're more in the spotlight than ever thanks to streamers and esports tournaments. It makes a lot of sense that Nintendo would capitalise on MOBAs.

(Then again, I'm not a MOBA player, so that perception could be inaccurate)

Why does everyone think MOBAs are becoming less popular? If anything, they're more in the spotlight than ever thanks to streamers and esports tournaments. It makes a lot of sense that Nintendo would capitalise on MOBAs.

(Then again, I'm not a MOBA player, so that perception could be inaccurate)
Streamers play them, and they're in esports tournaments, but what about more "casual" players? I'm not a MOBA player myself, but I also can't remember ever meeting anyone who played any MOBA besides League of Legends. That's why I have the impression that the genre - minus some titles - is losing popularity. Might be wrong, of course.

For a lot of people this is just the straw that broke the camel's back. TPC have made some very poor/longterm-fan-unfriendly decisions these past few years and their frequent missteps have been getting harder and harder to ignore. Telling people they had a big project to announce in a week's time only for it to turn out to be an 11 minute video of incredibly tedious mobile gaming revealing yet another (not necessarily for Pokémon but the gaming market in general) microtransaction-riddled pay-to-win multiplayer-only clone of seemingly every other mobile game ever except with more Gen 1 was a Hitmonlee-level kick in the gut. People are finally starting to face up to the realisation that the franchise they grew up with is dead, replaced by just another mobile gaming company and I can tell you that it hurts.

I'm not mad at them, I'm past that point now, but I genuinely understand why so many people are.

I literally said that I understood that. I even agreed that they shouldn't have made an 11 minute presentation. That does not mean that some of the toxicity I've been seeing on social media and whatnot is okay. Insulting people who are excited, calling anyone who's positive about it or tries to understand a shill or a sheep, the extremes people go to at times in their anger... all of it has gotten old. That is what I was saying. I was not saying that it's unreasonable to be upset over it or that TPC was not wrong for going about it that way. And no, the franchise is not "dead" because of this, and I think someone else already addressed why. There are plenty of non-mobile spin-offs and main series games to prove that. This is not the end of the world, this is not the last thing that is ever going to be announced, and there are more games that are nothing like this coming, we literally saw that last week. I get it, this isn't what people wanted and it's a dissapointment for many including myself, but it is not worth some of the comments I've been seeing.

My view of this announcement: It was a one-two-three stomach punch for many fans.

1. Okay, so it was a mobile game. 'Meh... I guess it'll appeal to some folks.'

2. A MOBA, usually known to have pay-to-win elements. 'Ugh, Pokemon is turning into Hello Kitty for all sorts of things.'

3. Produced by Tencent. 'Okay - What made TCPi think that was a good idea?!'

4. Tencent must have lobbied this announcement to have its own important direct that lasted 11 minutes. 'I disagree - a spinoff like Pokemon Snap is much more worthwhile in this timeframe, and this is just a total cashgrab by the Chinese government!'

*Downvotes*

Honestly, though - I think it's more the fact that Tencent is behind this project that boils many fans than the fact that the video wasn't for a Sinnoh/Johto remake.

I’m all for Pokemon trying out genre diversity, but... that’s it? A week of hype for a “big project” that required a brand new direct to be covered, that started out with a franchise rewind, inspiring music and a nice clip that put our hopes up... all for a League of Legends reskin?

The game doesn’t seem too bad (even if I’d probably have it as a guilty pleasure at best), but they raised the stakes too much for their own good.

This turned out the same case as Smash where everybody thought something in the background indicated the character that joins the roster but did not come true.

I’m all for Pokemon trying out genre diversity, but... that’s it? A week of hype for a “big project” that required a brand new direct to be covered, that started out with a franchise rewind, inspiring music and a nice clip that put our hopes up... all for a League of Legends reskin?

The game doesn’t seem too bad (even if I’d probably have it as a guilty pleasure at best), but they raised the stakes too much for their own good.
Yeah, you summed it up perfectly.

I voted "something else" for the poll; something told me we weren't going to get a mainline game announcement. I don't know why, but I just figured it wouldn't happen.

As for Unite itself: not my thing. The last free to start game that I spent money on was the stupid Badge Arcade, and it still took multiple purchases to get the badges I wanted. (I only cared about the Pokémon badges and that cost me far too much.) I certainly don't want to feed this game money for the chance at winning a battle; that simply doesn't appeal to me. Hell, I had to watch my husband do PvP in Avengers Alliance on Facebook when that was running; that put me off of MOBAs pretty quick. (You weren't going to win if you didn't spend money on the game and Prime refused to do that. I don't blame him, as the game sunsetted a while ago.)

So yeah, if you enjoy it, have fun. I don't think I'll be getting involved in this one.

If the announcement is actually for a mobile game I will eat my 3DS.
Whelp, guess I better deliver.
DE20C9C9-A572-4FF6-B8FE-2D5D1B5F8395.jpeg
Tasted like nerd and plastic. I washed it down with the salty tears of everyone, myself included, who was hoping for Sinnoh remakes.

That aside, I'm going to back track on my earlier statement that I can't see a mobile game being worth an eleven minute presentation. After thinking about it a bit and maybe pulling my head out of the sand, and judging by the mini-trailer we were shown at the beginning, I think TPCi really wants this to reach Pokemon GO levels of hype and success. Like they really want this to become a big thing. After all, they will be trying to break into a massive market that, as others have said, Pokemon GO can't really reach. Hence an eleven minute presentation with a lofty, nostalgic trailer about working together and all that jazz followed by several minutes of gameplay with some fans. I think that Esserise's feeling that TPCi might be "expanding the brand" is spot on.

You know pokemon was great because it didnt try to be like the rest. Now it wants to be like the rest and I get you want to get the younger gen into pokemon, but what about the older ones? (old thats weird to say cause I am 21) How do they have to pass time until Crown of Tundra? Pokemon is losing alot of its charm.

They trolled people with all these Johto stuff. Or maybe these hints are for next year.

If there are more games to announce, the Poke-unite announcement would have to have been second of three of these presentations.
They would know it would be too overshadowed in any other sequence.

i think a surprise, third Pokemon Presents next Wednesday announced a day or so ahead has an above 0% chance of happening. Put together they would essentially be the length of a Direct, if a third one would be 10ish minutes as well! Otherwise i think more could be revealed in the autumn!

Also, @Eeveely , thanks for depressing me. After trying for half an hour I discovered Cafe Mix is incompatible with my phone, to the point it doesn't recognize it is an APK. *sigh*
Sorry...

On a different note, how did Joe know they will make it a part of the championship or was it just speculation?

last week: "god i hope it's not more LG"
halfway through the presentation: "ok anything but this"
after: cam2.png

E for effort TPC

Last edited:
They trolled people with all these Johto stuff. Or maybe these hints are for next year.

I think we read a little too much into them. One of the latest plushie lines just happens to be entirely Johto-themed, so they were probably just showing off their newest stuff.

You know pokemon was great because it didnt try to be like the rest. Now it wants to be like the rest and I get you want to get the younger gen into pokemon, but what about the older ones? (old thats weird to say cause I am 21) How do they have to pass time until Crown of Tundra? Pokemon is losing alot of its charm.

By playing any of the numerous Pokémon games that are available right now? The Isle of Armor just came out, there's always GO, there's the newly released Café Mix, there's Masters, there's Rescue Team DX, there's the TCG, and players can always replay old games from Pokémon's gargantuan back-catalog... all of the above are games that players of all ages enjoy, and even all that's assuming that a person's only resource for keeping them occupied is Pokémon, which in 99% of cases, it won't be. Passing the time until the Crown Tundra comes out should not be an issue regardless of age.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom