• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Do you have any Pokemon Anime headcanons?

The following headcanon ignores my previous timeline calculations in favor of more accurate theories posited by others.

The armor Giovanni forced Mewtwo to wear not only suppressed/focused its powers, but also monitored/analyzed its physiological makeup and capabilities, essentially reverse-engineering it and creating a backup "blueprint", if you will (assuming that the original data collected by Dr. Fuji's group was lost). MechaMew2 (from Pokémon Live!) was partially based on this blueprint, and was already in the pipeline as a contingency plan prior to Mewtwo's escape. This explains how Giovanni could already have it built and tested just three or four months after the events of Mewtwo Strikes Back (assuming Pokémon Live! is intended to take place directly between Adventures in the Orange Islands and The Johto Journeys).

(As an aside, discrepancies between The Birth of Mewtwo and Pokémon Live! can be resolved by merely reinterpreting some of Delia's dialogue as a distortion of the truth. Although she makes it sound like she simply fell in with a group of juvenile delinquents—implying that she and Giovanni are close in age—it's more likely she didn't want to admit that she was a full-on member of Team Rocket who was manipulated by a much older man. Her statement that Giovanni founded Team Rocket later on, as opposed to inheriting leadership from his mother, could be taken to mean that he significantly restructured the existing organization to the point that it was almost entirely remade from the ground up.)

During the events of Mewtwo Returns—taking place at the end of that same year—Giovanni attempted to recapture the existing Mewtwo rather than making a second one. There were several reasons for this—chief among them, simply creating Mewtwo after Mewtwo until one of them finally obeyed would not only be prohibitively time-consuming and expensive, but the sheer number of rejects would surely pose an unimaginable threat to Team Rocket—and, indeed, the entire world.

Although Team Rocket's memories of Mewtwo were ultimately erased, the data they had collected previously was not lost. Under unknown circumstances, it was rediscovered sometime later, either by eventual defectors from Team Rocket or a group of complete outsiders. This enabled the creation of a second Mewtwo four years later, paving the way for Genesect and the Legend Awakened.

This one's been on my mind ever since it happened, it only came back to me after JN037's re-watch and the Z-Move description by Kiawe.

I feel like the infamous orange shuriken by Greninja was actually a species exclusive Z-Move. The reason it didn't work effectively could be because it was used for the first time spontaneously and without a Z-Crystal/Ring which reduced its efficiency drastically, similar to how to Bond Phenomenon didn't work out early on for Ash and Greninja.

The group of Celebi that appeared at the end of Pokémon 4ever were actually all the same Celebi, from different points in its timeline. Celebi revived itself by having its past and future selves combine their healing power.

Last edited:
One anime headcanon I've always had is that unlike in the games, Natures don't have any effect on a Pokemon's stats, since it'd make more sense if that was a strict gameplay mechanic. Because let's face it, it would be kinda weird for a Brave Raichu to always perform terribly but then have a Golurk with that exact same Nature excel. I mean, why on earth would being brave somehow make you slower?

Pokemon Contests have a lot of controversy surrounding them just as much love the public has for them, just like real-life animal competitions: Mainly due to setting high beauty standards deemed dangerous just for the Pokemon to look cuter, like dangeroulsy bigger eyes and the such, because serious health issues can arise from that.

I also like to imagine a lot of Pokemon Coordinators also have large following online, like beauty vloggers of PokeGram.

And to finish, I love the idea of Ursula being pretty much the Pokemon-verse Youtube's very own Je**re St**, always causing sh*t and petty drama for no reason.

Okay, gonna get WAY off topic here, so anyone who wants to ignore the spoiler tag, it's okay

Ursula: One of Dawn's rivals. A very venomous snake.

Jeffree Star: A Beauty Vlogger from Youtube who's infamous from creating petty drama, being racist multiple times and never really apologizing, making up lies about a bunch of stuff, and being an awful person in general. There's a LOT more about him online, if you are interested, I guess... (?)

But the funny thing is that that's pretty much why he even has a giggantic audience in the scene: some people see him as a sort of ''real live'' villain, and I guess they like that??? Pretty much 95% of his audience.

Well I posted this a few days ago so I'll just repost it here.

I think Kukui's 6th pokemon was a Kommo-o, for the reasons below.
- BST wise, it's his strongest pokemon. It makes sense why he saved it for last and planned to use it even after his ace Incineroar. BST isn't everything, but Kommo-o would've been really challenging for Ash to fight nonetheless.
- It's an Alolan pokemon, which he's currently lacking in his team (only 1 out of 5 so far). I also think it's more believable for him to have another Alolan one than a Galarian one for example.
- He's actually encountered the species before (SM052) and could've caught a Jangmo-o offscreen for research (perhaps to study its signature move?).
- Having another fighting type makes sense given his background as the masked royal. He already has 1 type overlap with steel (Lucario+Empoleon), so it's not like that stopped him anyways.
- It's one of the few Alolan pokemon that doesn't belong to any notable trainers. This is also why I eliminated the rest of his in game team as Midday Lycanroc (Olivia), Alolan Ninetails (well Vulpix, Lillie), Snorlax (Munchlax, Burnet), Magnezone (Magneton, Molayne) and Crabominable (Hala) are already 'taken'. Its debut episode was part of a bigger arc anyways, so the species is rather underused - especially for a pseudo legendary. Also has one of the few Z-moves that haven't debuted in the anime.

Last edited:
The group of Celebi that appeared at the end of Pokémon 4ever were actually all the same Celebi, from different points in its timeline. Celebi revived itself by having its past and future selves combine their healing power.

Something tells me this violates all kinds of physical laws ...

Ash's Lucario and Chloe's Eevee are cousins. This is based on the fact that Lucario was voiced by Eevee's VA as a Riolu. Very flimsy, but whatever :p

Ash's Lucario and Chloe's Eevee are cousins. This is based on the fact that Lucario was voiced by Eevee's VA as a Riolu. Very flimsy, but whatever :p

I wasn't aware they are even in the same egg group. A search on the wiki shows that Torchic is in the same egg group as Scorbunny and the two Pokemon you mentioned ... egg groups make no sense, how can a chicken and a rabbit have babies together?

I wasn't aware they are even in the same egg group. A search on the wiki shows that Torchic is in the same egg group as Scorbunny and the two Pokemon you mentioned ... egg groups make no sense, how can a chicken and a rabbit have babies together?
Ask the person that decided to take foe yay to its logical extreme and decided that Seviper and Zangoose can breed.

In other words, don't think too much about this... At least with Digimon you can at least use programming to justify things.

Ask the person that decided to take foe yay to its logical extreme and decided that Seviper and Zangoose can breed.

In other words, don't think too much about this... At least with Digimon you can at least use programming to justify things.
Indeed. In Digimon, you can have a Dinosaur turn into a bunny and vise versa.

I could've sworn this was canon... At the very least, I've seen this idea before.

I could've sworn this was canon... At the very least, I've seen this idea before.

In the English dub Towa says, "The guardians of the past and the future can travel through time as well, and so they've all come," which doesn't really confirm whether they're meant to all be the same Celebi or not. I'd be interested to find out whether the dialogue differs in the Japanese version. With Celebi being a time traveller, and legendary/mythical Pokemon supposedly being one-of-a-kind (or so I thought at the time), it always seemed like a logical conclusion to me.

Please note: The thread is from 8 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom