• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review JN027: Legends of Heroes! Dande's Greatest Battle!!

It’d hopefully trigger some development for Go acting for the passion of his Pokémon. Raboot was supposed to have ambition but is now background fodder for some reason, and Scyther was a one trick pony. With Gurkinn describing Go's drive as "greed" and some very prominent Pokemon which have more ambition, it could've kick started some character development in Go.
I think Ash's speech from today's episode could help too. I need to see the subtitles before I'll know the exact details, though.

Didn’t Gurkinn say that Go’s “greed” wasn’t a bad thing?
Kinda raises the question of how “greed”, something that is literally one of the 7 deadly sins can possibly be glorified to not be a bad thing. If anything, Go’s drive for quantity over quality is a very bad aspect of his character.

Kinda raises the question of how “greed”, something that is literally one of the 7 deadly sins can possibly be glorified to not be a bad thing. If anything, Go’s drive for quantity over quality is a very bad aspect of his character.
For real. If Gou does end up with Sobble, I at least hope we see him develop into a better character because of this. A potential bond with something like Sobble can be good for him, but I fear for the worst, which would be Sobble either being left at the lab or not getting much development even if it travels alongside Gou because he's too focused on catching everything without battling too much.

Didn’t Gurkinn say that Go’s “greed” wasn’t a bad thing?
But he miserably fails to explain anything behind it, at least we have acknowledgement that the writers do know about that interpretation, but they somehow said it’s a good thing with no explantation? That’s usually the sort of thing that leads to development but was completely handwaved here.

But he miserably fails to explain anything behind it, at least we have acknowledgement that the writers do know about that interpretation, but they somehow said it’s a good thing with no explantation? That’s usually the sort of thing that leads to development but was completely handwaved here.
Things like that are starting to make me wonder, is Go a writer’s pet? I mean, his entire capture style goes contrary to what the series has preached from day 1 yet still works 95% of the time, the writers outright know about how people feel when it comes to the “greed” angle but rather than using that to develop Go constructively, they instead treat his flaws as a good thing to ensure that he never has to learn anything and if he does, the lesson is lost by the following episode and somehow they want us to be impressed with Go. I’m not sure I’ve seen a new character with Ash who somehow gets away with their shortcomings so much.

So rather than giving Sobble a trainer who would actually train it and has been shown to bring out their true strength even when others couldn’t (here’s looking at you Infernape), you’d rather it go to a trainer who literally does absolutely nothing other than just being there and who leaves most of their Pokémon to rot at a lab just for the sake of breaking tradition?
As a starter it's guaranteed to get tons of screentime regardless who catches it. Personally I'm sick of the writers pandering starter Pokémon for the sake of marketing while some other Pokémon don't even get episodes dedicated to themselves. I'd gladly welcome starters getting shafted for a change if other Pokémon get more spotlight in their place.

I wanted Ash to catch Galarian Farfetch’d, but now I’m worried that Sobble will end up going to Go, unless we’re getting back-to-back capture episodes.
I mean ash caught a roggenrola an episode after Palpitoad so it could be possible.

As a starter it's guaranteed to get tons of screentime regardless who catches it. Personally I'm sick of the writers pandering starter Pokémon for the sake of marketing while some other Pokémon don't even get episodes dedicated to themselves. I'd gladly welcome starters getting shafted for a change if other Pokémon get more spotlight in their place.
Screentime =/=quality development. Just look at Chespin in XY for example. Sure it got screentime but it didn’t really get any meaningful development. Screentime is just a superficial tactic to have it shown. Doesn’t mean that anything interesting will be done to make use of said screentime.

One thing I appreciate about this episode is showing how well Raihan and Duraludon did against Leon and Charizard before Dynamaxing. It really showed off how strong Raihan was (admittedly doing better than Lance did against Leon).

The G-Max battle was pretty disappointing though. It was another "Leon counters his opponent's Max Moves with his own and only his opponent takes damage." You'd think Raihan would put up a better fight in a G-Max battle given he should be experienced in battling with and against them (unlike Lance)...

On another note, I think G-Max Duraludon went down a bit too easily (even considering Steel Beam's drawback). While it did take a couple of attacks (and a super-effective Dig), it didn't seem to take much from Max Knuckle (the Max Rockfall probably absorbed most of the damage) before falling to G-Max Wildfire.

G-Max Pikachu took two Max Moves (while not very effective) and lasted longer under G-Max Charizard's G-Max Wildfire) than G-Max Duraludon did, and PIkachu took some damage prior to Giganatamaxing as well. I think they did Duraludon dirty in the Gigantamax battle by relying on the idea of Duraludon using up too much of its stamina from Steel Beam.

Too bad G-Max Duraludon didn't get to use its G-Max Depletion, but I guess its effect (and PP in general) would be pretty hard to translate into an anime battle.

I appreciate Rose's appearance; I was starting to wonder if he wasn't going to show up until the last minute. It's not exactly a tough bar to clear but hopefully his plot is done a bit better than in the games.

That's not hard to do. But it could be much worse like Lusamine or Ghechis.

I'm really glad that Ash caught Farfetch'd it have been one of my favorite Pokémon design since Gen I. The problem is that Ash has 2 pure fighting types now, and Riolu family is very marketable. So unless he gets more that 6 Pokémon, I'm really worried that he may trade or give it away.

I'm really glad that Ash caught Farfetch'd it have been one of my favorite Pokémon design since Gen I. The problem is that Ash has 2 pure fighting types now, and Riolu family is very marketable. So unless he gets more that 6 Pokémon, I'm really worried that he may trade or give it away.
I wouldn't worry about that; he was running half a team of Flying-types in Kalos.
Farfetch'd using a "weapon" should hopefully make it's combat distinct enough from Riolu that there's no big issue.

A very small detail but I feel uncomfortable how Gou was quite sure that G-Farfetch'd was still a Farfetch'd. For someone who doesn't recognize regional variants, G-Farfetch'd should have been seen more like an evolution to regular Farfetch'd. I would like to see his reaction when he finds out it, in fact, was not an evolution.

ETA: Also if portrayed well, Ash's Farfetch'd has a big potential in the show. It may be one of my all time favourite Pokémon characters in the show.

Last edited:
Screentime =/=quality development. Just look at Chespin in XY for example. Sure it got screentime but it didn’t really get any meaningful development. Screentime is just a superficial tactic to have it shown. Doesn’t mean that anything interesting will be done to make use of said screentime.
They're doing a decent job with Raboot's development so far, I think it should be similar with Sobble (and potential Grookey if Goh gets it aswell).
Even if Sobble ended up being Chespin 2.0 (I doubt it will) then it's still better than what majority of non-starter Pokémon get. Starter shilling has gotten old already and I'm all for that tradition being broken.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom