• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Do you think Ash will get a Galar starter in PM2019?

Will Ash get a Galar starter?

• Yes, he'll get Grookey.

Votes: 11 20.8%
  • Yes, he'll get Sobble.

Votes: 18 34.0%
  • Yes, he'll get both Grookey and Sobble.

Votes: 11 20.8%
  • No, Grookey and Sobble will go to someone else.

Votes: 13 24.5%

• Total voters
Besides, it would be fun to see Ash working with a bulky Pokemon. I still don't think Ash drew out the full potential of Melmetal, so this could be his chance to work on that.
*torterra cries in a corner*

As for me, most starters I wanted Ash to get are already there, so I'd just like some starter in the base stage to evolve, like Snivy.

I think if Goh catches Sobble and it evolves into Drizzile before Grookey's debut it's safe to assume Ash isn't getting any Galar starter.

I honestly have no idea. This series has been extremely hard to predict (which I actually think is kind of fun) and seems to be throwing even more familiar patterns out the window than SM did.

At this point, I would not be surprised if Goh ends up with all three starters. I thought I'd be a little more upset about Ash potentially catching no starters, but with the team he's been building right now, I would definitely be okay with him not having any this time around.

At this point, I don’t even care anymore. They had the opportunity to divide the starters up but chose to give both of the debuting starters to Go instead. Grooky is the least popular of the starters and fits Ash the least. Considering the writers seem so keen to give Go the Galar starters, I don’t see why they’d change that for the last of them.

At this point, I don’t even care anymore. They had the opportunity to divide the starters up but chose to give both of the debuting starters to Go instead. Grooky is the least popular of the starters and fits Ash the least. Considering the writers seem so keen to give Go the Galar starters, I don’t see why they’d change that for the last of them.
Yeah. I can't see them giving Ash just the least popular starter. It doesn't make any sense.

Yeah. I can't see them giving Ash just the least popular starter. It doesn't make any sense.
Popularity has nothing to do with anything. TPC makes their decisions well in advance based on what they expect to be popular. And belonging to Ash is an automatic popularity boost.

Popularity for any Gen 8 Pokemon should be taken with a grain of salt because the generation just started and most haven't been seen in action yet.

I honestly have no idea. This series has been extremely hard to predict (which I actually think is kind of fun) and seems to be throwing even more familiar patterns out the window than SM did.

At this point, I would not be surprised if Goh ends up with all three starters. I thought I'd be a little more upset about Ash potentially catching no starters, but with the team he's been building right now, I would definitely be okay with him not having any this time around.

Ash's current team is ass though. It's all Pokemon we've seen fight plenty of times before that don't do anything differently from other members of their species. The appeal of the anime is seeing new Pokemon in action, not the same ones we've seen a hundred times.

Last edited:
Ash has gotten seemingly unpopular Pokemon before, along with Pokemon that don't really fit with what he normally captures, so I don't see how Grookey being the least popular Galar starter makes it that unlikely for Ash to get one. I honestly think that Grookey would fit with Ash pretty nicely. Sobble would have been fine too, but it might be more helpful for Goh in the long run depending on where they're going with it. I'm more disappointed that Chloe doesn't get a starter, but since she isn't really part of the cast and might not become one, maybe that was just too much wishful thinking on my part.

Popularity has nothing to do with anything. TPC makes their decisions well in advance based on what they expect to be popular. And belonging to Ash is an automatic popularity boost.

Popularity for any Gen 8 Pokemon should be taken with a grain of salt because the generation just started and most haven't been seen in action yet.
Popularity of a Pokémon does seem to hold at very least some weight in their decisions. For example, Pokémon like Piplup and Rowlet being kept in their base stages due to the popularity compared to their evolved forms.

Ash's current team is ass though. It's all Pokemon we've seen fight plenty of times before that don't do anything differently from other members of their species. The appeal of the anime is seeing new Pokemon in action, not the same ones we've seen a hundred times.
Well in this case here, they had the ability to give Ash a new Pokémon original to the Galar region but instead decided to instead give it to Go who already had 2 Galar Pokemon of his own and is guaranteed to get more. Honestly, I have no idea what their trajectory with Ash’s team is supposed to be. While it’s nice that they’re giving him ‘missed opportunity’ Pokémon, I’d like to see him with some Gen 8 Pokémon as well.

People are claiming he isn’t getting Grookey because it “doesn’t fit him”?

... How?

It’s a cute nimble playful monkey that turns into a powerhouse. How’s that any different from the likes of Infernape?
Rillaboom is a powerhouse but is also slower in speed. Aside from Snorlax, who who only really gets occasional use, Ash hasn’t exactly had the best experience with bulky Pokémon in the past. The Pokémon he tends to do best with are fast and/or agile.

Rillaboom is a powerhouse but is also slower in speed. Aside from Snorlax, who who only really gets occasional use, Ash hasn’t exactly had the best experience with bulky Pokémon in the past. The Pokémon he tends to do best with are fast and/or agile.
Well.. he’s mastered a tanky Dragonite with the power of set up, and was fairly successful with Melmetal. And Rillaboom isn’t really a "tanky-tank" like them with limited mobility it’s just pretty muscular.

Well.. he’s mastered a tanky Dragonite with the power of set up, and was fairly successful with Melmetal. And Rillaboom isn’t really a "tanky-tank" like them with limited mobility it’s just pretty muscular.
Rillaboom mostly just stands around and beats its drum. It's not very mobile.

Gorillas are more agile than they look, and that 85 speed checks out. Sure, it wouldn’t be a Greninja in terms of speed, but it’s certainly more speed versed than Melmetal or Goodra.

Rillaboom mostly just stands around and beats its drum. It's not very mobile.
Superpower, Wood Hammer, Razor Leaf, Slam... all moves that don’t require drumming. I don’t see the issue there.

Rillaboom is less popular than Grookey itself so it doesn't make sense for Ash to have one.
Really, how can you be so sure of that?

It’s not like Glalie, Gliscor and Torkoal were fan favorites. Ash isn’t entirely restricted to polls.

My point is, a lot of things can happen. Let’s keep an open mind.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom