• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review JN027: Legends of Heroes! Dande's Greatest Battle!!

Mmm is not PWT independent from Gym battles?

Gym battles are made for testing challengers of the Pokemon League of a region. PWT is a worldwide tournament to find the best Pokémon trainer in the world.

However we still don't know how the champions and Elite Fours of a region are choosen.

Last edited:
I was saying that any defeat in a Gym match, not just from Ash, would knock Raihan down in rank and possibly out of the Top 8 entirely. That's why I think that Raihan is no longer the Hammerlocke Gym Leader.

Subs confirmed Raihan is still the gym leader.

There is another problem as well: If Raihan wasn't the gym leader anymore, the same applies for Korrina. Another problem is Ash then: If he gets defeated in a PWC match, he isn't the Alola Champion anymore either if we use the argument people cannot be gym leaders, since then the same applies for Champions (Which means Leon is both the Galar as the current Kanto and Johto champion, because he defeated Lance).

Let's Go

POKEMON JOURNEYS EPISODE 27 REVIEW

The Ultimate (1 on 1) Battle

The Plusle
PLUSLE.png

• Ah Galar where good things happen
  • The first half of the battle was good, then gygantamax happens
  • A Pokémon with more than four moves. Nice
  • No sprees
  • Riolu battling and showing new moves
  • Galar Lore being introduced
  • Future Sirfetch and future big sword battles
  • President Rose ROSA SEDO CREDO
  • The look Ash gave to Rose
  • Sonia mmm Ok.

The Minun
MINUM.png

• So the main excuse to go to Galar are tickets? That's poor
  • Oh Goh playing Baseball with his Farfetch DEVELOPMENT. Come on guys... he was only brought up to job to his counterpart and you know it!
  • Gygantamax battles are wacky and trashy. It does not makes any sense that the world title is decided in Gygantamax battles and Leon is the strongest cause he domains them.
  • You call an ultimate battle a 1vs1 battle? Please...
  • A dragon type user that does not use any dragon type move ?¿?¿?
  • Double Team? No detect?
  • Ghost and Fairy pokemon are going to eat Riolu alive with those moves.

The Questions
icon.png

• Kosiko? Kohaosu? What was her name?
  • Why does Gygantamax sucks so much?
  • Who was Sonia waiting for?
  • Did they really thing they made Lion a golden statue?
  • Who will catch that Pokemon next week? ¿Sobble? Forget about that I'm talking about Morpeko
  • Will this forum be saltier than the sea next week?
  • Will Rose carry his chorus along him?

Conclusions
question-thought-coloring-book-author-game-homer-simpson-doughnuts-png-clip-art.png

Good episode but not as good as the last two galarian episodes, the two normal battles were nice, however gygantamax is not good and it also makes Leon seem not as good as they say cause it resorts to it to much. The second half of the episode was nice.We are also getting into the plot with Galar lore, Sonia and the most impatient man in the world Chairman Rose.

My puntuation is 4 Creepy Roses out of 5

EP04-3.png
EP04-3.png
EP04-3.png
EP04-3.png

See you next week. And remember: Be salty

Bit late again, I re-watched the episode last night but didn’t get enough time to continue constructing this till now.
EDIT: Argh, damnit @Pokemon Phenom, you beat me to it again.

Pros:
  • Let me get the battle and the first half’s events out of the way, especially since the battle leans a bit too much into the cons territory. The battle was underwhelming but there were a few aspects of it that I liked, with the most obvious one being that Leon switched up Charizard’s move set to counter Duraludon specifically which means that Charizard will thankfully not become too stale (though the cons and the other points kind of counters this). There were those little talks between Raihan and Leon, both before and after the match, that would have shaped up to be quite the interesting rivalry if expanded upon especially when you factor Ash into the mix. It was a really big highlight to see that Raihan was totally trouncing Leon prior to the gimmick’s usage, exposing Leon’s weaknesses which only helps set the path for Ash. Up next is the aloof yet welcome introduction to Sonia (finally, only took them 27 episodes to do it) along with the trademark hair twirl, followed by insight and foreshadowing of the Hero of Galar legend as well as the Darkest Day myth which is hopefully not thrown in the trash halfway down the line (looking at a certain fifth region anime series). Sonia’s personality was… unexpected. In the games, she’s somewhat straightforward and sister-ly whereas in the anime, she’s… an overexcited and outgoing Koharu… to put it in a way (I was personally hoping she’d get toasted by Pikachu while keeping in line with Pokegirl tradition after she went full on kawaii ear fetish). There was also the mention of Magnolia which means she might appear on screen, Ash does need to research more about G-Max for Pikachu after how badly it struggled with it (though personally, I'd rather they not focus on G-Max too much and bring in Megas and Z-Moves into the fold... this series is about Pokemon in general and not just Gen 8 after all). And lastly, that Rose cameo was somewhat eerie for my liking but equally foreshadows certain events. Here’s hoping he’s not suddenly turned into a "good guy" like they did for the SM game villains.
  • Now onto the most surprising and unexpected plot point of the episode that we all thought would never happen, and the one that carried this episode after the underwhelming delivery of the main plot point: Galarfetch’d being captured by Ash. It was such a reversal of most of our expectations, that Goh would be the one to catch it which was kinda pushed on us by the fact that he was suddenly 'training' with Farfetch’d and bringing it along to Galar. Galarfetch’d even challenged Ash initially (if Pikachu’s reaction is anything to go by) and had no interest in Goh before the said boy butt in… and got promptly destroyed in both catching and battling (which makes you wonder how he’ll ever confront Mew). And we ended up getting a surprising first battle for baby Riolu (!!!) which shows how much it’s been growing all this time. Despite both being pure Fighting types, the difference between Riolu and Galarfetch’d seems like day and night in both personality and fighting styles which should thankfully keep things interesting and fresh between these new rivals. Well, most of us always wanted Ash to get a Sirfetch’d ever since it was first revealed and even before Pokemon 2019/Journeys was a thing and that became a reality. It was one of the first revealed Gen 8 Pokemon and one of the more iconic ones after all (though the other hope about Sobble seems to be ruined, let's just pray that the "reversal of obvious expectations" happens again in the next episode since that's the only glimmer of hope left for the bubble chameleon). On a side note, did anyone else think that Riolu was going to evolve when it started to pump up? My heart skipped a bit at that.
Cons:
  • Back to the battle and if I recall correctly, the title, promotion and advertisement for it pointed out that the major plot point would be the battle and rivalry between Leon and Raihan. The actual content was anything but that, the battle was weak, very rushed and underwhelming, the initial Master Class battle was far more exciting and dynamic than what we got here. This is similar to JN025’s situation where the main plot point of the episode is rushed badly in favor of other stuff (thankfully the other stuff here was far better than said episode), and JN026’s split episode format where the first half is an entirely different plot compared to the second half. Raihan felt underdeveloped in this episode, especially when his unique quirks weren’t portrayed, like that infamous “I lost, now let me take a selfie” moment. You could have replaced Raihan with a generic CotD and nothing much would change for the first half. Raihan also not communicating and forming a rivalry with Ash is a big missed opportunity, they do have similar ambitions to dethrone Leon after all.
  • The animation was terrible, low effort and felt like a clipshow with all the animation recycling, choppy movement, stock backgrounds, still frames etc. Also like @Kurolegacy said earlier, why is Goh being unable to catch any Pokemon being treated like a big issue and a setback especially when he has other issues and shortcomings that he could grow by (which unfortunately keep getting handwaven or covered up)? Why does he even need captures in a row especially when he’s not had any proper major setback? What harm could it do if he didn't get captures for a while?
Additional:
  • The battle and commentator’s introduction of Leon highlighted something about him that I found interesting, and also potentially exposed his weakness. The commentator says that he was “born and bred in Galar” which makes me wonder if he’s ever travelled outside Galar or battled in another region. Leon appears quite shaky in regular battling given how Raihan clearly had the upper hand, and how the former is overly reliant on Charizard, G-Max and Max Wildfire (which is somehow magically OP and instantly capable of taking out any opponent with multiple fly-by blows despite it being a one move attack). His ability to win without the regional gimmick should come into question now, you’d have to wonder how he’d perform outside Wyndon, or outside Galar in general where he’d not have access to the regional gimmick.
  • Also, does this entire situation sound VERY familiar? HMMM? Overly reliant and using just one Pokemon, a certain overrated lizard? HMMM? Said fire lizard tends to be thrashed around before suddenly becoming overpowered with a gimmick and using a powerful fire type move which results in a clutch? HMMM?
  • Come on…
    > Gestures with hand to bring it on.

df7a6d7908512c689a4e693bf1b9f46569db17a3.gifv

Verdict: A surprising episode overall, that gave us one of the best and most hyped Gen 8 capture. It’s 7/10 from me, I’d have given it higher if the original premise of the episode (the title, literally) didn’t fall so flat and underdeliver.

I’m not really looking forward to the next episode. Whether or not Goh catches it, the false advertising has killed it for me, not to mention that it seems that they’re playing Sobble’s crying for the laughs instead of it being genuinely afraid and timid.

Last edited:
Expectation VS Reality:
EU2RZebXsAE2Xja.jpg

tumblr_6c2bf0ed3ea9d97ba31e9a32fb57a3a7_fbfddf3d_640.jpg
Problem with that prospect is that that basically raises the question of what they’re even supposed to do with it then. Unlike Hoenn, Sinnoh and Kalos there’s no other activity for Pokémon who prefer things other than battle and sagas like SM basically has nothing to do for the Pokémon who didn’t belong to a cast member that was battle oriented. With this, it’s basically sitting in a void that’s above jokemon like Chespin but below the Pokémon able to be shown off meaningfully
He'll use them to capture stronger pokémon.
Go’s drive for quantity over quality is a very bad aspect of his character.
Not really, considering his goal is capturing every pokémon species.

My point is that he doesn’t use any Pokémon not named Raboot for capturing (at least, not often) all his stronger Pokémon usually stay at the Sakuragi lab.
Almost every pokémon he kept there are run-of-the-mill, easily captured without any serious fight, sans Venonat, Scyther (still beaten easily in the Battle Frontier) and Golurk (captured by a team effort). I expect there to be episodes primarily focused on Gou's captures in the future, featuring powerful and rare pokémon.

Almost every pokémon he kept there are run-of-the-mill, easily captured without any serious fight, sans Venonat, Scyther (still beaten easily in the Battle Frontier) and Golurk (captured by a team effort). I expect there to be episodes primarily focused on Gou's captures in the future, featuring powerful and rare pokémon.
There’s also Darmanitan which is pretty powerful. We've had some of these powerhouses and none of these have been utilised in captures so far. The original topic was Go using his currently powerful Pokemon to capture others, which hasn’t been done to a good extent yet.

My point is that he doesn’t use any Pokémon not named Raboot for capturing (at least, not often) all his stronger Pokémon usually stay at the Sakuragi lab.

To be honest, if he just brought Golurk with him he could probably defeat and capture anything he wanted considering Golurk was a raid boss and took down the likes of Ash’s Pikachu in one hit.

(which is somehow magically OP and instantly capable of taking out any opponent with multiple fly-by blows despite it being a one move attack).
G-Max Wildfire actually is a five-turn move. But frankly, I'm still wondering how this is going to work in practice given the fact that Dynamax /G-Max only lasts for three turns.
you’d have to wonder how he’d perform outside Wyndon, or outside Galar in general where he’d not have access to the regional gimmick.
He'd suck terribly! And that's why I hope that in light of the upcoming DPPt remakes, Cynthia will return at the end of Pokemon Journeys, kick his ass and show him who's boss. I'm sure World Championship is not be the end of the road. There must be stronger trainers.

He'd suck terribly! And that's why I hope that in light of the upcoming DPPt remakes, Cynthia will return at the end of Pokemon Journeys, kick his ass and show him who's boss. I'm sure World Championship is not be the end of the road. There must be stronger trainers.
I assure you, if he does end up battling Cynthia, she is going to lose. If anyone beats him during this series, it's Ash.

I assure you, if he does end up battling Cynthia, she is going to lose. If anyone beats him during this series, it's Ash.
No, what I'm trying to say is that after Ash has beaten Leon (which is going to happen anyways), I'm sure the journey's not over. There will be stronger trainers because we've seen that Leon isn't that strong after all. He can only triumph in Galar because it's where he's got access to G-Max and G-max Wildfire is irrationally overpowered for the sake of promoting this new feature

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom