• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Controversial opinions

I do feel that Serena had a larger bond with all of her Pokemon compared to the other companions since she only had three throughout the Kalos Saga.
If we're using that logic someone from the Alola cast probably has the best bond with their Pokemon since most of them only had one in most of the saga. Mallow and Bounsweet would be my choice in that regard.

Well, I like what Go’s supposed to be but I don’t like the fact that he’s too lucky; his developments quickly reverse themselves and his flaws and the holes in his plans don’t seem to matter much. If these problems are solved I’d actually like watching him.
Don't you find that he is similar to alolan classmates in this way? If I remember correctly, Lana, Mallow or Sophocles were not liked for such traits as well.

Don't you find that he is similar to alolan classmates in this way? If I remember correctly, Lana, Mallow or Sophocles were not liked for such traits as well.
I didn’t like those three much, so my opinion remains consistent. Their focus was less so their shortcomings weren’t focused on that much so it ended up being fine, but it becomes weird when the character occupying more than half of the screen time (since he gets focus when Ash gets focus, but when Go gets focus its him alone) has flaws but they don’t matter.

Go’s shtick is much more on the face than these characters.

Unpopular opinion, Dawn was a better companion to Ash than Serena
images (1).jpeg

Now here's a real unpopular opinion:

I don't mind the Rocket Prize Master. At all.

I understand the appeal that comes from Team Rocket bonding with their own Pokémon, but this is a fun experiment sort of thing, kinda like how, say, Sun & Moon experimented with the concept of Ash not traveling around and gathering Badges.

I understand the appeal that comes from Team Rocket bonding with their own Pokémon, but this is a fun experiment sort of thing, kinda like how, say, Sun & Moon experimented with the concept of Ash not traveling around and gathering Badges.

It does make them seem more credible as villains who steal pokemon tbh.

I don't agree but I'll Like this post out of respect for possibly the most unpopular opinion in the thread so far.

Ash watches Dawn's contests when he's not busy training his own pokemon but he's there for all of Serena's performances and votes for her every round.

I'm pretty sure that Ash was there for all of Dawn's Contests too. He would often train during some of May's Contests, including the Hoenn Grand Festival, but I don't recall that happening with Dawn's Contests.

I'm pretty sure that Ash was there for all of Dawn's Contests too. He would often train during some of May's Contests, including the Hoenn Grand Festival, but I don't recall that happening with Dawn's Contests.

Agreed. Plus, Ash and Dawn train with each other, constructing a high level of trust within. It's even evident in Best Wishes from Dawn's short stay.

I've not seen much of Journeys yet, but the Rocket Gachat is a neat idea, just to provide some unexpected muscle. I like it to just spit out something surprising like... you know. Anyway, is this thing applied for all Rockets? Can anyone call upon this device?

For the longest time, I've been disappointed that Raikou, my favorite Legendary beast, was the only member of its trio who didn't get a movie. And now, thanks to a YouTube video I saw a short time ago, I think I've figured out why that is:

My theory is that they originally had planned for each of the Legendary beasts to get their own movie during Generation II, but then, when Generation III started approaching, they decided to ditch the idea of a Raikou movie and instead give us Pokémon Heroes as Generation III foreshadowing/promotion. As such, Raikou only got a TV special, which is nowhere near to the same scale as a movie.

For the longest time, I've been disappointed that Raikou, my favorite Legendary beast, was the only member of its trio who didn't get a movie. And now, thanks to a YouTube video I saw a short time ago, I think I've figured out why that is:

My theory is that they originally had planned for each of the Legendary beasts to get their own movie during Generation II, but then, when Generation III started approaching, they decided to ditch the idea of a Raikou movie and instead give us Pokémon Heroes as Generation III foreshadowing/promotion. As such, Raikou only got a TV special, which is nowhere near to the same scale as a movie.
Nice to see someone else who loves Raikou. It definitely didn't get the attention it deserved. I mean, besides their movies, Entei and Suicune even got starring roles in Johto episodes. All Raikou got was a cameo in the Houndoom and Togepi episode... Ash didn't even see a Raikou with his own eyes until M13, at the tail end of DP and hasn't since (though his AU movie counterpart did in M20).

It does make them seem more credible as villains who steal pokemon tbh.

Yup. I feel it gives them some level of seriousness without making them overly serious. (glares at the BW anime)

VHESleV.jpg

Jokes aside, if it is a experiment it sucks. This is killing Team Rocket appeal and spitting in his other Pokñemon, it makes Team Rocket seem just two guys who throw random Pokémon at people.

Credible?¿?¿ Seriousness? Except Gyarados and Tyranytar (Who still lost in a handicap match) the other Pokemon did nothing. Look at last episode: one move they only used one move. And were defeated by a simple attack. The gatcha does not only make Jessie James and Meowth look like morons it also makes Giovanni look like an idiot and Team Rocket organization as fraudulent. You can easily replace those Pokémon with mechas and it will not change the episode that much. Those are just gag Pokémon.

Also why Team Rocket soldiers can use their own Pokémon like in episode 24 and they cannot?

The other thing that irritates me is that having the gatcha does not invalidate them to have Pokemon of his own.

And here comes and Unpopular opinion of my own:

I liked serious Team Rocket.

I haven't seen much of Team Rocket's gotcha machine in action so far myself, but based on what I did see and what I've heard of their other appearances, I'm not really sure how this makes them look more like creditable villains. They potentially get stronger Pokemon than they would normally, but if they are defeated pretty much the same way and don't provide a more noteworthy challenge for Ash and Goh, then I don't see how it makes a huge difference in that regard.

I don't think it helps that there isn't really a good in-universe reason as to why Giovanni would suddenly give them access to stronger Pokemon. They usually do try to take credit for Ash and his friends defeating the evil team of a new generation, but they didn't really do that in SM and they left their Pokemon in Alola, so I'm not sure what they have to show to Giovanni during their time in Alola. If this happened in BW, I think it would still be kind of frustrating given that they wouldn't have Pokemon to bond with, but I think it would have been more believable. They were more serious and Giovanni seemingly believed that they had defeated Team Galactic and Hunter J during DP, so rewarding them with access to stronger Pokemon would have been more fitting for that series. They didn't want to feature a lot of older Pokemon during the start of BW, but I don't think that would be much of an issue in the long run and having a talking Meowth would have naturally drawn attention to the Team Rocket trio in Unova anyway.

I think it would help if James had a permanent Pokemon like Jessie does with Wobbuffet. It is treated more like an honorary fourth member of the team, but it also allows for Jessie to interact with her own Pokemon instead of just only having access to these gotcha Pokemon instead. I'd love it if they brought Mime Jr. back since it had such a strong bond with James and potentially evolving it into Galarian Mr. Mime would be pretty cool. Growlithe would also be awesome, especially when leaving it at his parents' home never felt right to me. I don't think either option is too likely, although Mime Jr. might have a bit more of a chance here, but it would be neat and maybe make the gotcha machine less frustrating in a way for some fans.

Back
Top Bottom