• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Event EVENT: Summer 2020 Oneshot Competition Announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.

unrepentantAuthor

A cat who writes stories
Reaction score
Hello, everyone! I'm pleased to announce our second Themed Oneshot Competition.

Last year's event had some great results, with many entrants posting wonderful short stories. Due to the success of the pilot event, we're repeating the format this year with a few administrative changes, but the same fundamental structure. This is only the second event of this nature and we want to keep improving it each time, so there will be an opportunity to give your feedback after the event.

The brief explanation is that it will last two months, each entrant gets to write a short story under a simple and flexible theme, and everybody gets a bunch of reviews. For more details, see the full rules below. They're very similar to last year's but do give them a read anyway as we've streamlined them a little.

Rules (Edited to accomodate deadline extensions as at 2020/09/05)
  1. :bulbagarden: The theme is "Right Character, Wrong Genre." Your entry should be appropriate to that theme, although you're welcome to take it in any direction you like. We're looking to receive stories which about unconventional approaches to problems and protagonists in unusual situations, but the context, genre, tone, and so on are up to you.

2. :bulbagarden: The wordcount cap is 10,000 words. To hold everyone to the same standard, please check your wordcount using this link.

3. :bulbagarden: You have two weeks to register as an entrant, starting immediately and ending 23:59 GMT on July 26th. Use this time to come up with a plan for your story.

4. :bulbagarden: You have eight-nine weeks to write your entry, starting now, with the posting deadline being within 48 hours of 23:59 GMT on September 6th. Submissions will be accepted for one week, until midnight GMT September 13th. If you're unsure of your timezone's deadline, please ask.

5. :bulbagarden: Do not post your story until the last two days. To afford roughly equal time for reading to the community and judges, please publish your entry within 48 hours of the deadline. Publish your work in its own thread, and post a link here.

6. :bulbagarden: Judging/voting will last three weeks. Judging will conclude at midnight GMT September 27th. The panel of judges will read and judge every entry, and pick a winner in each of two categories, these being overall writing quality and use of the competition theme. There will also be a community-wide vote for a third category, best overall story. You don't have to review to vote, but even a few short comments would go well-appreciated!

7. :bulbagarden: Please register your interest in judging here. By registering as a judge, you promise to read and judge every entry in the competition in a timely fashion, and not to provide beta-reading services to other entrants.

8. :bulbagarden: The winners will be selected using weighted multiple choice voting. In other words, you give 5 points to your first pick, 3 points to your second choice, and 1 to your third. Naturally, you may not vote for yourself.
Naturally, all normal forum and section rules apply, and please conduct yourselves with good sportsmanship.

All winners will receive prizes!
Namely, a classic-style victor's banner, prestige in the community, and 60 points of Review League credit. Naturally, all participants will recieve a number of reviews, and reviews written for any competition entry will receive a considerable 4 extra points in the Review League.

Remember to register as a participant and/or judge before the deadline, feel free to ask me anything if you have questions, and lastly, good luck to all who get involved! It will be my pleasure to read every single entry.

Participating Competitors:
@Aozora
@Beth Pavell
@Cresselia92
@Daren
@diamondpearl876
@Felly
@kintsugi
@KrspaceT
@LightningTopaz
@Nitro Indigo
@Ryoma Maser
@System Error
@TRNatalie
@unrepentantAuthor
@The Walrein

Participating Judges:
@Beth Pavell
@bluering8
@kintsugi
@unrepentantAuthor

Contingency Judges:
@Cresselia92
@Ryoma Maser

Last edited:
I am curious to give it a go, but as a question what is 'Right Character Wrong Genre' exactly? Is it a character who is the 'Genre Refugee' trope (for example Charlotte Katakuri who looks like a Fist of the North Star character who walked into One Piece's Alice in Wonderland esc arc) or a character who wins in a genre by playing to a different genre (example Superman's power and kindness shakes up The Game of Thrones utterly).

I am curious to give it a go, but as a question what is 'Right Character Wrong Genre' exactly? Is it a character who is the 'Genre Refugee' trope (for example Charlotte Katakuri who looks like a Fist of the North Star character who walked into One Piece's Alice in Wonderland esc arc) or a character who wins in a genre by playing to a different genre (example Superman's power and kindness shakes up The Game of Thrones utterly).

You could interpret it either way - how you approach the theme is part of the competition, so have fun with it!

I’d like to sign up as a participant too. ^^

This might be a stupid question but just to be sure; is it preferred that we create an original work/use original characters or can we write with pre-existing characters?

As long as this is a new story written for the contest, it doesn't matter. You can write original fiction, fanfiction, use original or canon characters as you like!

While I still feel a bit off about this as a whole, I would like to sign up as a participate for my first Summer Event.

I'll also would like to sign-up as a contingency judge though I doubt I would bring anything new to the table if I do end up judging. This may just be an excuse to get myself reading stuff again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom