• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Has your favorite Pokémon changed over time?

Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. She/Her
is your first favorite Pokémon the same as now? how has/have your favorites changed over time?

pretty sure pikachu was a favorite of mine way long ago and even though I still like it a lot, there are others I like more. it's especially hard when each generation introduces new mons I like a lot! nowadays my top favorites are mareep, wooloo, cinccino, flareon, and poipole.

I could've sworn there was a thread like this already, but I could be misremembering. Anyways...
flygon.png
iu
turtonator.png
Yes, my favorite Pokemon has changed over time. Flygon was really my first favorite Pokemon for a very long time (perhaps sharing this ranking with Hydreigon for a bit). However, early last year, I started paying attention to Turtonator (I saw cute gifs of it in Refresh), and began to like it, starting with setting my flair Pokemon on r/pokemon (you get the menu sprite of your chosen Pokemon in your flair), until it became my favorite Pokemon. Flygon is now my second favorite Pokemon while Turtonator is my favorite of all time.

Cubone was my top favorite Pokemon for a very long time, like since Gen I. But when Galarian Rapidash was revealed, I think it took the spot. I've always wanted a unicorn Pokemon that is a little less "mean" looking than the original Rapidash. Galarian Rapidash is simply gorgeous. I can't get enough of it.

Mine has quite a lot - for almost four generations, Persian was my top favorite Pokemon, to this day still love it, it isn't my number one favorite
Liepard took it's spot when I first saw it
for a while after watching the anime... for some reason Watchog was my most favorite of all Pokemon, today still love it
then I remember that Mienshao then took over as my favorite Pokemon, when I got my pet ferret, not to long after caught my first shiny which happened to be Mienfoo

started to love foxes, around the time that sixth gen was starting, once I saw Fennekin it became my most favorite Pokemon for a while, then Delphox took that spot

around the 7th gen, when the Eevees then became my most favorite of all Pokemon - at the time, Flareon was my most favorite Pokemon, today it is still on my top 5 favorites... at the moment cutie Sylveon is my most favorite Pokemon, for the love of foxes, pink, fairy, and cuteness

Oddish has consistently been my favorite since I've first started playing, but I think my second favorites have always been changing with every gen. It's gone from Koffing > Metagross > Drifloon > Chandelure > Barbaracle.

I'm too attached to Oddish, but I really love a lot of other Pokemon too, I guess.

I was constantly umm-ing and ahh-ing in the late 90s over my precise favourites from the 150 (my books, stickers and other paraphernalia didn't even have Mew). I had a soft spot for Alakazam and Poliwhirl for significant periods, but I always kept coming back to that magnificent beetle from my first episode of the anime, Challenge of the Samurai - Pinsir. At the risk of coming across as a hipster, it's almost always had just enough of an absence of love to make me feel as though I'm the only fan in the world, and that this is my niche within the franchise; it's quite liberating to have your colours nailed very firmly to one mast.

The runners-up have shifted around considerably, though. In particular, I hated Exeggutor for years until the Gen 4 sprite. The strange walk became a more menacing squat, and a strong, vibrant yellow replaced the sickly pale colour of the heads. It also happens to complement Pinsir's silhouette very well; the range and diversity of body types within my theoretical top team often trumps my thoughts on individual Pokemon (for example, I love Primeape, but I'm not sure it has a place alongside another short, broad biped like Pinsir).

Before having ever watched the anime or played the games, I only knew of a few Pokémon from real-life friends. This was probably in the year 1999, when I was 8 years old. My favorite would have been either Wartortle or Raichu (something about their ears maybe, idk). After seeing the anime (probably in that same year), Starmie became my favorite and it hasn't really changed since, although there are a lot of Pokémon I like similarly well.

kinda. bulbasaur was my #1 all-time favourite pokemon and shaymin/skymin wasn't really... on the list at all until a couple of years back and i was like "huh, i wondered why this wasn't my favourite pokemon sooner?", and there you have it. it basically swapped places with bulbasaur and it became #1 while bulbasaur became #2

there are four pokemon that have held the honor of being my favorite pokemon at some point in time. Feraligatr, Sharpedo, Sableye, and Galarian Stunfisk.

my original favorite pokemon was feraligatr. Pokemon gold was my first pokemon game, and totodile was my starter. Which explains a lot of it. It held the position for quite some time, until about....2011 or 2012, iirc? It was then that I decided I preferred sharpedo. I don't think sharpedo held the position for very long before sableye usurped it.

Sableye was my favorite pokemon for years, until very recently. Stunfisk has always been a pokemon I've loved to death, ever since I first laid eyes on a leaked image of it prior to BW's release. It wasn't quite good enough to be my favorite pokemon, though. Then, during the sword and shield leaks, I saw that it had received a galarian form. An edgier version of stunfisk....? It was everything a goth girl like me could have wanted. It should go without saying, but I was incredibly excited to train one myself. The more I saw of the adorable metal flatfish, the more I loved it. I mulled over the possibility of giving it the title of favorite pokemon for months, largely to give new toy syndrome some time to wear off...I ultimately did conclude that I preferred it to sableye, and there you have it.

Sabae and sharky are still part of my top three, although I don't care about gatr nearly as much as I used to. I still quite like it and totodile, but they aren't even top 20 at this point.

Last edited:
I didn't really have a consistent favorite when I was much younger.
...Well, actually, scratch that. Believe it or not, back in my late elementary school days, I had this weird obsession with... Celebi, of all things. I'm... honestly not sure how exactly did I get obsessed with it in the first place, but I remember drawing it a lot when I was a tween. It's especially odd since these days it's not even my favorite Mythical; Jirachi is.
I'm pretty sure it was around Gen V-ish that I realized my true affection lies within Sableye and Mawile; this oddball duo of humanoids based on the Hopkinsville Goblin and a goofy youkai, respectively.
To a lesser extent, Beheeyem was a Pokemon that I've always had a... strange fascination for, even before I got interested in aliens and stuff. My feelings for it are strong enough that it currently rests atop the third place on my mental list.

It really depends on how the question is made. My favorite is Venusaur but since not all games allowed to have one and I also wanted to train others, my favorites for certain games were mostly my Grass starter and a few others.
Venusaur was my starter line in Blue, my beloved one in Leafgreen (that now continues in my Diamond file) and the one where nostalgia hits strongest. I also like the whole line (Bulbasaur and Ivysaur included).

With HG I discovered that Roserade is my signature Pkmn as in the one that I can relate the most, the one that I'd like to be turned into (extrasensory included!). I trained two (or three) of them in that game in order to discover what gender, nature and moves would fit my personality and in AS I managed to make my adventure with a female one and recently I caught a shiny male Roserade, which became my new love. I like Roserade, Budew is the cutest but I'm still not very fond of Roselia.

In B2 I simply loved my Serperia (in case it isn't obvious, a female Serperior), it became the Queen of that game and Gen. V and my main reason to turn that game on, so that I can see her in her native Isshu. I like Snivy and Servine but not with the same intensity as the Bulbasaur and Ivysaur.

At the end and all things considered, my choice was and will always be Venusaur...and my heart and soul will always return to Kanto.:bulbaWave:

Believed it or not, Jynx was my favorite for a long time thanks to Stadium. Now it's Latios thanks to childhood memories of getting it in a trade from my best friend.

You could say it's now Wolfman and Kotora, but I don't think they count since they were never officially released.

Last edited:
I was kinda just floating around in phases as I was younger. Then it was this one, then it was another one. It's only as I grew older that Arcanine took the title of my actual favorite.

I was always a Charmander fan first and foremost. (Amusingly, while I did like Charizard, it was actually my least-favorite of the line when I was younger - I thought Charmander was super cute, and I really loved Charmeleon's off-pattern red color scheme and its general sense of looking "like Charmander, but cool.") From a nostalgic perspective, it still means a lot to me, but it had no chance of remaining my actual favorite once the Ultra Beasts came into the picture. Now my favorite is Stakataka, though as of Gen 8, a strong case could be made for Runerigus as well.

Personally I think the designers have really been bringing their A-game from Gen 6-onward, so I've been spoiled for a lot of potential favorites over the last seven years.

Personally I think the designers have really been bringing their A-game from Gen 6-onward, so I've been spoiled for a lot of potential favorites over the last seven years.

They're certainly very well-executed designs, but I find them a little... trope-y? At times? New species can hit the jackpot when they touch upon a specific personal interest or identity (I mean, the journey of my life thus far has been near-as-dammit Stoke, Hull and London), but the fact that the older designs are often little more than stylised animals means there's greater opportunity to imprint your own tastes and personality on them, so to speak?

They're certainly very well-executed designs, but I find them a little... trope-y? At times? New species can hit the jackpot when they touch upon a specific personal interest or identity (I mean, the journey of my life thus far has been near-as-dammit Stoke, Hull and London), but the fact that the older designs are often little more than stylised animals means there's greater opportunity to imprint your own tastes and personality on them, so to speak?

I think I get what you mean. I do think there are subtleties in the simplicity of older Pokémon, that newer ones will often forego in favor of committing fully to a single concept. Like, Tsareena is a dom, full-stop, and wears that on its sleeve. This dictates its personality to you. But if you go back through the years and look at similar humanoid Grass-type Pokémon like say Lilligant, Leavanny, Roserade, Breloom, or Bellossom, the further back you go, the more room you have to imagine what that Pokémon might be like. Lilligant is obviously dainty, but you could read that in a lot of ways - maybe it's shy and takes time to open up, or maybe it's proud and loves to show off. Maybe it avoids conflict out of cowardice, or maybe vanity, or maybe it's deceptively fierce and will fight hard to protect someone it cares about. Roserade is another one that I find delightfully ambiguous. I think it straddles the line between masculine and feminine perfectly. It might be Audrey Hepburn, or it might be Tuxedo Mask.

For what it's worth, my favorite overall rosters are probably Gens 3 and 6, which are quite far apart in terms of both time and style.

Oh, I’ve changed plenty of times. My first favorite was Blaziken. Then Charizard. Then Typhlosion. I hopped around many times.

After some deep thinking, I realised that Goodra is my current favorite, and probably my favorite of all time. I loved it in the anime, loved using it in game, love its concept, and whenever I watch a battle I’ll instinctively root for the side that’s using one.

Gardevoir has been my favourite since I first saw it but I go through phases when it's on equal footing or even surpassed by one of the other Pokemon in my top 10 (my top 5 has stayed consistent along the years....the other 5 in my top 10 have varied quite a bit).

Before Gen III (I've been following Pokemon since 1999) my favourite changed quite a lot...like more than 5 times. My very first favourite Pokemon was Horsea....it's still somewhere in my top 20.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 9 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom