• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Keep/Change/Delete

Change. I feel it should either have a high chance of crit or skip accuracy checks instead of bypassing abilities. That effect just isn't that useful in practive.

Nuzzle

Meh, it is rather mediocre, so I can see why it was removed.
Slash

keep. it may not be useful in actual competitive play, but early in-game it does have its uses for those that learn it. it's a decent filler move, if nothing else.

water spout/eruption (both fall into the same category here so i'm mentioning both)

Keep 'em, they're generally on Pokemon who're too slow to get them off without taking a hit first, so they're usually somewhat impractical as actual strategies, and if you're putting in the work to make them more practical you deserve the payoff.

Why don't we throw down a spicy one?
Stealth Rocks.

ooooo interesting one LG!

i've long since fell off the competitive pokemon train years ago, but even then, stealth rocks was still quite ubiquitous. that said, as divisive as it can be, i don't think there's anything i'd do to change it. it's really a matter of adapting proper strategies around it (getting a spinner/spinblocker), rather than doing anything about the move itself. so i'd keep.

Spikes

Change to give more accuracy, power, and poison rate. As it stands the poison rate is comparatively good for an attacking move, which makes it feel like it's supposed to be some kind of middle-ground between an attacking move with a poison side-effect, and the almost guaranteed poisoning of Toxic. With Smog coming out as a semi-Toxic that's also able to deal chip damage, much the same way that Icy Wind is mainly there to drop the opponents' speed, with a bit of damage as a bonus.
With the way it is now though, the stats just make it unviable as an alternative to anything. Using Sludge Bomb, Toxic, and Icy Wind as our baseline comparisons:
  • The 30% miss chance makes it simply unviable to use. If you want a "happy medium" move to see play then it's gotta hit more reliably than that. Take it up to either a full 100%, or potentially a 90% to see it run level with Toxic. Personally I'd say 100% because, as a basic poison move, the damage output is still probably lower than Toxic over time, even with the other buffs.
  • The current power level is just too low. I can appreciate that it's supposed to be a degree of chip damage, but "Weaker than Tackle" does not a viable move make, even with a decent side-effect. Icy Wind, a move with a more reliable second effect, is almost twice as strong as Smog as it stands. I say bring it up to around even with Icy Wind. 55, maybe up to 60 base power because, again, the side effect is still less useful than the comparison.
  • 40% poison rate isn't actually that much better than Sludge Bomb, which comes in at 30% chance to poison. Upping it to 50% makes a more pronounced benefit to the poison rate over its competition, as a more reasonable tradeoff for the reduced power.
These changes may seem dramatic, but Smog as it stands is simply trash that nobody will even spare a second-thought for, and I'm trying to bring it up to a competitively viable level, here. These should put it roughly in the middle between the raw power and slight poison chance of Sludge Bomb, and the no power but almost certain bad poison of Toxic.

Petal Dance

Bring it back, raise its power to always be 70, and make it so that it can also be Fairy-type and not dependent on IVs.
Double Team

Back
Top Bottom