• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Do you care what Poké Balls you catch Pokémon with?

Not much. I care for the aesthetic but it's not a necessity ,for exapmle, if I'm catching a green-colored pokemon, I use a nest ball, a dark-type, I use a duskball, a light-colored bug, netball...

Yes, I do. I absolutely hate the standard model, as it's plastered everywhere in the Poke world, leaving it very over-saturated. Plus, it's not that good, anyway. It's a decent beginner's ball, but it's quickly rendered obsolete, especially when the whole "# of badges = items available in PokeMarts" thing came into play (and Gen 6 made it even better). While I know I'll be forever cursed with the fact that most Starters will only ever be in Poke Balls (which, I feel, defeats their supposed value), if possible, I will use any other ball other than the standard model for my catches, especially if they're going to be on the main team. I like the diversity of having different balls and their better catch rates, or in the cases of the Luxury/Heal/Premier/Friend Balls, their added bonuses/aesthetics. I still hate the Johto Balls, however, as they suffer from crippling overspecification, but at least they paved the way for actually good special balls later on. But, in short, yes, I very much care about what ball my Mons end up in, as I like having the diversity and better functions of the other balls over the boring and useless red-and-white standard Poke Ball.

I try to have all the Pokémon on my main, in-game team caught in regular Poké Balls, simply because I like the consistency. But beyond that, I don't really think about it too much, especially since most Pokémon that I catch that don't end up on my team are just for Dex purposes, so Quick, Dusk, and Net Balls are often the most useful.

I mean, sometimes I'll come across a cool Pokémon like Zoroark and go "oh it would look great in a Luxury Ball" and I'll catch it in one, but then the Pokémon just ends up sitting in my box forever, so I guess it doesn't really matter. :p

An exception to all this is Zacian, which is on my main team but I could not resist the idea of catching it in a Moon Ball. I'm okay with breaking the "all regular Poké Balls" rule in this case, though, since Zacian is a Legendary. It feels appropriate to give it some kind of special signification. (I never really use Legendaries on my team so that's not usually a factor.)

Absolutely. I try to catch all my team members in fitting Pokéball, ensuring there are no repeats nor anyone in a regular Pokéball as I strongly dislike them. For example, I held off catching a Yamper in my most recent Sword play through until I bought some Quickballs.
While I know I'll be forever cursed with the fact that most Starters will only ever be in Poke Balls (which, I feel, defeats their supposed value)
Starters should really get their own special Starterball in my opinion. Like, a pure white ball with green, red, and blue markings on it.

Last edited:
It's not that I care per say, but I do find myself doing it. Catching Electric-types in Quick Balls for example or Dark-types in Dusk Balls.

I try to use different Pokeballs for different types of Pokemon (But obviously, sometimes thats not an option). I love to catch Dark and Ghost types in Dusk Balls (Same with Pokemon that exclusively live in caves like Zubat), Psychic and Fairy types in Heal Balls, Water types in Dive Balls, Water and Bug types in Net Balls and so on.

I try to use different Pokeballs for my team members. I avoid having repeat Pokeballs in my teams as much as possible. It just makes it more visually appealing when I see them being healed at the Pokemon Center. I often use Quick Balls for Pokemon that I just want to catch quickly without battling with my team, especially when they're usually overpowered compared to the wild Pokemon, but I don't have specific Pokeballs for specific types in mind.

I'm generally fine with regular Pokeballs, but it would be cool if starters either came in something special or at least they brought back something like seals so that they'd at least look different when they come out of their Pokeballs.

It really depends. Most of the time, I just use what's available: if I chuck the Ball at it and it stays in, then it's not a big deal. However, if it's a shiny--especially if it's a Golurk--I try to get it in a Luxury Ball.

Master Balls are reserved for things like a chance shiny with a low catch rate or the occasional Max Raid shiny that I must catch. (Yeah, it was a shiny Golurk. I chucked a Master Ball at him. But are you really all that surprised?)

Certainly. I want to have my Grass-type in Nest balls, my Poison-type in Ultra, Luxury or Dusk balls, Water in Dive or Net, Normal in Premier or Heal, Electric in Quick or Ultra and Fire in Repeat or regular Ball. For the other types...it depends on the Pkmn's colour scheme.
Not only that but I'd wish that Ball customisation was reintroduced and expanded in order to have type-themed options both in Ball appearence as well as effects (seals) when coming out but that was another feature that got stuck to a certain generation. :rolleyes:

I do feel sightly annoyed when seeing 4 Pokeballs and 2 Super Balls at the Pokemon Center, but that's pretty much it. I'd like to have more variety, but other balls just aren't available during the early game, and when they finally are, Ultra Balls and Quick Balls are more reliable. That's part of the reason why I think the balls system should be repurposed, with Balls having in-battle effects and less situational gimmicks (specially the Johto ones), so you could change Pokémon's balls and have an incentive to do it at the same time.

So, my answer would be "No but I'd like to have reasons to care and reasons and to use other balls".

all of my team members and my favorite Pokemon - I always use the Luxury Ball
its my most favorite by design and for the affection it provides

rest of the Pokemon don't really matter to me
if its a Pokemon I'm going to transfer, in a Luxury Ball too

It's not a priority, but it is nice to have a matching Pokeball. Of course, when I do Raids that I joined via Y-Comm, I always prioritize catching the Pokemon, even if it means using an Ultra Ball on a Hakamo-o. I only special balls on raids I host, because those are guaranteed catches.

I try to catch Pokemon I love in a cutesy pink Pokeball like the Love Ball. The Love Ball is adorable and I wish all of my Pokemon could be caught in it!

Sometimes I think to myself that it might be cool if they introduced type-themed Balls for every type with maybe a 1.5x or 2x catch rate on Pokémon of that type, but then I kinda wonder if that would maybe be too bland and standardized. I kind of admire the creativity and room for personal interpretation that people find in trying to match the existing Balls to certain aesthetics.

I care quite a bit myself if it's for mons I'll be IV breeding/EV training. great and ultra balls are ones I really don't tend to like much since they don't look great to me, so it's very rare I'll use those to catch Pokémon I plan to train up competitively or shiny breed/hunt. think my favorites for catching are premier, luxury, dive, and heal. <3 as well as all the apricorn balls since they look really good! I should probably make use of all the beast balls I have also, they're another recent favorite..

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom