• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview JN034: The Solitary Fighter Saitou! The Threatening Otosupus!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bea with eleven Pokemon on hand makes me wonder if she doesn't have a carry limit for being an elite trainer, or if we'll see something akin to the quick Pokemon transfer access from LGPE/SwSh.

I thought that scene was a picture or flashback of her back in her own gym, which is which we saw all those Pokemon of hers on hand

I don't believe that Ash will have a 'huge' ranking drop. If the implication we have so far is true, Bea will be considered an elite trainer who's most likely in the upper Super or even the Hyper tier and we've already seen low rank climbs/drops from winning/losing against a trainer who's far higher ranked. I'm not sure what reason he'll go into a slump for but hopefully it has something to do with reserves factoring him.

EDIT: Also fun fact, the team working on this episode is the exact same as the one who did JN018 which can easily be considered the best episode of this series so far.

Last edited:
What is so special about that trope?
Assuming Bea is talking about one of Ash's Pokemon and not Ash himself, then it raises an interesting idea that since Fighting Types typically use some kind of martial art and Ash not seemingly being a super knowledgeable about them means that either his Riolu and/or Farfetched have acquired bad habits when it comes to fighting that cause them to make wasted movements (that Ash as their trainer isn't correcting) thus they aren't fighting at their full potential.

If this were a Rocky film, Ash embodies the boxing trainer Mickey who needs to be paying close attention to his own fighter for when they're making mistakes.

--EDIT--
Daren said:
It is (from what I've read) a real-world martial arts concept--it's disadvantageous to use more energy than necessary for any action.
Indeed. As my old Captain from my boxing club used to say, "it's all about Air Resistance!"
Only a child would draw their arm back super far to throw a punch. By the time it reaches the opponent you'd have lost most of the kinetic energy you put into it. Instead you want to have the minimum amount of movement going from guarding to striking and vice versa. :)

Last edited:
I'm not sure what reason he'll go into a slump for but hopefully it has something to do with reserves factoring him.
I don’t know, if reserves were being brought into this the opening would've hinted it. There’s no way they’d let the reserve hype slide.

it comes to fighting that cause them to make wasted movements (that Ash as their trainer isn't correcting) thus they aren't fighting at their full potential.
I think it’s going to be Riolu: it’s current style is rapid attacks, and Bea might see that Riolu wastes power into unneeded jabs/strikes. There was this gif of Riolu and Farfetch'd fighting somewhere on these forums these days that showcases this.
I hope the other Pokémon don’t suffer this Riolu focus but things are looking grim for Dragonite and Gengar imo.

I don't know, to avoid spoiling too much maybe? Kind of similar to Lillie, Burnet and Kukui's exclusion. A lot of segments in the opening are interchangeable, most notably the Alola friends and Bea segments and can easily be replaced with reserves, past friends, gym leaders etc. when needed.
It’s certainly possible, but I’ve learnt not to expect stuff that’s not been advertised to us. The last time we got hype worthy stuff (Korrina), it was spoiler in its eternity with a bait and switch thrown in. And the hints given to us seem to imply that the issue is the generic "lost after winning streak", which as Bea explains has to do with the fighting style of Riolu (or maaayybe Farfetch'd but I wouldn’t bet on it). Ash might feel that he cannot hone the fighting of his Pokémon enough.

Either way, I feel bad for Gengar and Dragonite.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom