• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Evolution/Capture/Release Thread

Ugh... Even more prominence given to the Rocket Gachat during the OP, and now it's even got cutesie emoticons on its display, maybe this is to give it more character?

I hope they won't give that thing a voice down the line.

I seriously doubt that the implication that Goh will catch Zapdos (or any of the bird trio) will happen for one simple reason. No main cast character can or should have a legendary Pokemon and especially not if it's overpowered, a deity type or vital to the ecosystem.

Did everyone forget about this?

If anyone could have caught a legendary on the main cast, it would have been Ash and that hasn't and should never happen. Yes, I know that people still want him to get Latias but I don't believe it's a good idea.
That was for the Legendaries in that movie specifically. And it's not like we're talking about Groudon or Arceus here.

I seriously doubt that the implication that Goh will catch Zapdos (or any of the bird trio) will happen for one simple reason. No main cast character can or should have a legendary Pokemon and especially not if it's overpowered, a deity type or vital to the ecosystem.

Did everyone forget about this?

If anyone could have caught a legendary on the main cast, it would have been Ash and that hasn't and should never happen. Yes, I know that people still want him to get Latias but I don't believe it's a good idea.

Noland’s Articuno says hello, and we’ve also seen a Nurse Joy with a Latias of all things.

I’d say that the legendary birds are minor legends. They should be fair game, unlike big deities like Palkia or Kyogre.

And the legendary birds are hardly minors. In the past series, they were considered quite important and powerful Pokemon.
Eh... I'd say they're about the same level as the Regi trio and the Lati duo. They're very powerful Pokemon, yes, but they don't really have any specific/important roles, myths or legends that tie them down and explicitly prevent them from being captured by a trainer (aside from the Lugia movie, that is). They're just rare and powerful Pokemon. It's how they're portrayed in the games, and it's also how they're portrayed in the anime (again, outside of the Lugia movie).

Gou is already trying to catch a mythical Pokemon said to be the ancestor of all Pokemon. It's completely plausible that he'd try to catch other some other mythicals/minor legendaries as well if the opportunities present themselves, even if it's not necessarily a good idea for him to do so.

Eh... I'd say they're about the same level as the Regi trio and the Lati duo. They're very powerful Pokemon, yes, but they don't really have any specific/important roles, myths or legends that tie them down and explicitly prevent them from being captured by a trainer (aside from the Lugia movie, that is). They're just rare and powerful Pokemon. It's how they're portrayed in the games, and it's also how they're portrayed in the anime (again, outside of the Lugia movie).

Gou is already trying to catch a mythical Pokemon said to be the ancestor of all Pokemon. It's completely plausible that he'd try to catch other some other mythicals/minor legendaries as well if the opportunities present themselves, even if it's not necessarily a good idea for him to do so.
Attempting is one thing and succeeding is other, and in my opinion Go shouldn’t succeed in catching a legendary bird.

All the trainers we’ve seen with “minor” legendaries have been really imposing. Noland didn’t even officially own Articuno btw, and Brandon’s powress is famous. Ho is currently a rookie and nowhere near the level of those trainers.

I still feel like it’s too early to be talking about if Goh will catch a Zapdos or not. Could easily just be a cool shot, though if he does catch Zapdos, we don’t know anything about the Zapdos he would potentially be capturing. It could be significantly weaker than normal Zapdos or it could be a younger Zapdos. We don’t know the circumstances of the capture, is Zapdos injured prior and Goh catches it to help it? Or is Zapdos the cause of the battle, and if so, it would probably be a raid-battle with multiple people (of course there would be a scale of who performed best in said battle and who technically deserves it).

I don’t think Goh at this point should capture a legendary, but we don’t how Goh will progress until this hypothetical Zapdos capture. Goh will seemingly get much stronger pretty fast in the coming arcs with Pokémon like Cinderace, Flygon, and Heracross joining his team, and it looks like his battle skills will be good enough that Ash can have a decent challenge in battle against him.

I just say we take it in stride since we have no confirmation or information about it, so we shouldn’t worry about it until a Zapdos episode pops up, because until then it’s just speculation. If Goh does capture a legendary, it makes the most sense that it would be a legendary that we know there are multiple of, though.

Last edited:
I don't necessarily put too much stock in Gou getting any of the bird trio just from the intro; intros show things that are misleading (the Battle Frontier one was loaded with things like Ash battling all the Regis at once, the previous 2019 one showed Dragonite cuddling Meowth even though I don't think those two have interacted at all).

The mystery will be solved soon since Zapdos might appear in September

Ee9z8BPVAAEGY9O.jpeg

What I will say though, is that if Goh does catch a Legendary, one of the Legendary Birds would make the most sense, considering the Galarian Legendary Birds will have to show up eventually and they’ll have to compare and contrast them, though doing it via Goh is a weird decision.

That Zapdos might be a Kanto Power Plant episode. If it is, that pretty much also confirms Seafoom Islands and Victory Road (Although they might call it differently).

The legendaries that are vital to the ecosystem will not be caught - Lugia, Ho-Oh, Kyogre, Groudon, Rayquaza, Dialga, Palkia, Xerneas, Yveltal.

The Legendary Birds could also be hints of the Go teams from the app being introduced soon.
Disturb not the harmony of Fire, Ice, or Lightning
Lest these Titans wreak destruction
Upon the world in which they clash

Though the Water's Great Guardian shall arise to quell the fighting
Alone its song will fail
Thus the earth shall turn to ash

O Chosen One
Into thine hands bring together all three
Their treasures combined tame the Beast of The Sea
From the trio of islands, ancient spheres shall you take
For between life and death, all the difference you'll make
Climb to the shrine to right what is wrong
And the world shall be healed by the Guardian's song...
That narration is dub-only, in the Japanese version it's unknown who the Chosen One is but Ash chooses to assume the role.

Back
Top Bottom