• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Obscure Pokémon anime trivia

In the Oak lecture for EP153, there's a preview for the Pikachu & Pichu short where Misty's Poliwhirl is drawn as a Poliwrath. The error was caught and fixed before the film's actual release, though.

EP153
OCqJGe7.png

Final
egcRjPi.png

Interesting. Maybe the mix-up was a thing because they originally planned for Poliwhirl to evolve into Poliwrath instead of Politoed(There are 96 episodes in between Episode 153 and 247, when Poliwhirl evolved), before finally settling on Politoed because it was a new Pokemon and way cuter and as such more fitting for Misty.

Okay, so I don't TRULY know if this is some unknow fact or not ,but here in Brazil, the dub director (who is also Goh's voice actor) actually did confirmed though offical Pokemon Company scripts in a livestream (the ones he was *allowed* to show to us brazilian fans, since the br dub is kinda far behind,since we are still in the ep Ash caught Dragonite), that Goh's Cinderace is male and Ash's Dragonite is female.

And the reason why this didn't got announced out of the country, is that like... none of the Pokemon News outlets (including the bigger ones like Serebii and Bulbapedia) don't actually have acess to scripts like that, since is pretty top secret for the dub studios, and penalties can be pretty high if anything leaks.

Okay, so I don't TRULY know if this is some unknow fact or not ,but here in Brazil, the dub director (who is also Goh's voice actor) actually did confirmed though offical Pokemon Company scripts in a livestream (the ones he was *allowed* to show to us brazilian fans, since the br dub is kinda far behind,since we are still in the ep Ash caught Dragonite), that Goh's Cinderace is male and Ash's Dragonite is female.

And the reason why this didn't got announced out of the country, is that like... none of the Pokemon News outlets (including the bigger ones like Serebii and Bulbapedia) don't actually have acess to scripts like that, since is pretty top secret for the dub studios, and penalties can be pretty high if anything leaks.
This is some really nice info! Do you have a link to where it was first revealed?

Did that information come from the original writing source? Plenty of dubs gender pokemon by their own accord and aren’t really accounted for.

Besides, portuguese doesn’t have a pronoun for “it”, so it’s impossible not to give it to some pokemon.

This is some really nice info! Do you have a link to where it was first revealed?

I know it was in a livestream he did after ep 10 got released in Brazil. I have to confess tho, I do not know if it was on Twitch, Instagram or even Facebook, and neither if it is still available. I'm sorry. I know of it because a lot of br fans talked about it on Twitter and well, it is legit.

But he did reveal that TPC does knows the gender of every mon used by Ash, his companions, and even rivals too. They write them, but the thing is that like,,, ultimately, it might not even be that important story-wise you know?

It's mainly to help set the "tone" of the mon's voice. Think of the BW anime for example. Almost every Samurott we saw had a very masculine voice, implying them to be male. But when we get the comfirmation that Cameron's is female in the battle against Bianca's (male) Emboar, she has a distinticive female one (don't recall if they comfirmed her sex prior to that tho). So they got a man to dub the presumably male Samurott, and a woman to dub the female.

In the Japanese version of Charmander - The Stray Pokémon, Damian says that Charmander was so weak it couldn't even beat a Poliwag. Later, in the Orange Islands, the Pokémon that defeats Charizard and results in it starting to obey Ash is a Poliwrath. Symbolism?

Yes. The other holdouts are Typhlosion and Togetic, which didn't appear in the main series and at all (respectively) until Gen 3... Incidentally, Typhlosion is the only one of the four latecomers that was never Normal-type and not related to a Gen 4 Pokémon.

@Greninjaman What do you mean?

Between the first episode of Pokémon airing on the 1st of April 1997 and the release of Kyuren vs. The Sword of Justice on the 14th of July 2012, there were four mainline Doctors, three My Little Pony generations, two female red rangers in Power Rangers, and a partridge in a pear tree.

Last edited:
@Greninjaman What do you mean?

Between the first episode of Pokémon airing on the 1st of April 1997 and the release of Kyuren vs. The Sword of Justice premiering on the 14th of July 2012, there were four mainline Doctors, three My Little Pony generations, two female red rangers in Power Rangers, and a partridge in a pear tree.
I mean, who long did it take all the Pokemon of the other generations to appear in the anime.

Gen 4 is the second-longest one for the same reasons. Diamond and Pearl were apparently delayed, meaning Gen 4 Pokémon were appearing as early as 2004*, and of course there's the outlier, so that totals 8 years. I'm guessing Gen 6 was the shortest, for obvious reasons.

*Every time someone says that several Gen 4 Pokémon debuted in Rescue Team, a Munchlax dies.

Last edited:
As an aside due to technicality (courtesy of Suede's review of Navel Maneuver), if you look purely at the episodes and even Electric Soldier Porygon without the movies, then all 150 still appeared by NM with it introducing Nidoqueen.

Mewtwo even with the armor still appeared in the episodes leading up to the movie, so yeah Mew appearance episode wise (and if again you don't count Mewtwo Returns), then yeah the Sun and Moon episode revisiting Kanto is Mew's first episode appearance.

Again technicalities.

Back
Top Bottom