• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What’s the least fun play through you’ve had?

Well good for you, cuz I feel like he tried to make it harder and just went all in without thinking it through. Literally threw it aside after somehow winning against Falkner and realizing the entire thing would be like that.

Lmao. If someone doesn't goes in without thinking it's Drayano. Sounds more like you're just not cut out for the difficulty he's set, which is fine. But to dismiss it as "He did it without much thinking" is a very wrong thing to say.

For offical game now: A lot of people will chew me alive here, but I gotta say it: I REALLY disliked Platinum and gen 4 as a whole.

They just feels soooo slow, like dragging on themselves, and because of this I couldn't really enjoy it. I did not even feel like the game had a rhythm either, just this long walk with some extra text thrown around.

Hope they fix it in the remakes.

Yeah, Gen 4 gets way too much credit for what it is. If you really go and look at it and hold them to the same stuff that people do for the more recent games to prove their point on the latter, they'd find that Gen 4 was actually also not that good.

But hey, nostalgia talks. And who are we to go in against nostalgia amirite.

Sun... I really dislike Gen VII. I understand why a lot of people might like it: completely different mechanics and story, cool pokémon, etc. But for me, it was too different. My run went "ok"... but I remember nothing of it, and I can't remember my final team either.

I could have mentioned my UltraSun run which I never completed. However, since I never finished it, I dont consider it a "run" per se. It's so weird, on paper, I do genuinely think there is a lot to like and love about Gen VII, really. But in practice, I play for 5 mins and all I want is to stop. Meanwhile, I love Platinum, love me a good FR/LG, I enjoy the occasional Gen I/II runs on my original cartridges. Every other Gen, I at least really like the games, most of the time I love them. Poor Gen VII... maybe I just need to force myself through US.. I did hear very good things about it :/

For offical game now: A lot of people will chew me alive here, but I gotta say it: I REALLY disliked Platinum and gen 4 as a whole.

They just feels soooo slow, like dragging on themselves, and because of this I couldn't really enjoy it. I did not even feel like the game had a rhythm either, just this long walk with some extra text thrown around.

While I adore Platinum, I will agree that Gen 4 as a whole tends to get a bit more credit than it deserves. And, really, Platinum is the only good game in Gen 4, if you ask me, as it did the most stuff right. DP were slow with a pitiful dex (including the glaring lack of Fire Mons), while HGSS don't fix any of the issues Gen 2 had (outside of movepools and mechanics) and are just plain not fun because of said issues, along with the HM-heavy nature of Gen 4, resulting in, to me, making Gen 4 a mixed bag at best. I do also agree that Platinum, while I love it, is not devoid of faults, although it, fortunately, did make many necessary improvements over DP (though DP set the bar pretty low, so that wasn't exactly hard to achieve), but even I can admit that some of Platinum's flaws are glaring. Like you, I hope they do almost a complete overhaul in the remakes and not repeat the sins of the past simply for the sake of nostalgia, which is becoming a really big issue lately in GF's mentality. While Gen 4 did do a lot of good, I do feel it gets a bit too much credit at times, but that's just my opinion.

LGPE. Kanto pandering at its most extreme, gameplay being very simple, and the very infuriatingly low catch rates at the GO Safari. You'd have to battle the gym leaders every day just to have enough Ultra Balls to even finish a single zone. Nowadays it's only useful for sending Generation I Shiny Pokémon from GO as a bypass to avoid the high cost rates of directly sending Shiny Pokémon from GO to HOME.

Trying to get the 1/50 chance of a Five-Star Shiny Max Raid in SwSh has also gotten on my nerve lately. You find what could be the possible raid online, only to find it full within seconds or being an expired raid. Two days is also too short, as it means you have to rush and clear everything, even useless and unpopular raids, just to reroll.

And Pokémon Masters gets it the worst. You spend days saving up 3,000 Gems (or get that amount from the occasional bonus or bug compensation), select a Sync Pair Scout in promoting a new Five-Star Character, and of the 11 results, 99% of the time, you get a Three-Star Character.

(I also get the occasional unfair stop rejection in Pokémon GO, but that doesn't really count since it's also Ingress related)

my least favorite part of pokemon emerald is the water gym leader and 2 specific pokemon: luvdisc and kingdra. his luvdisc had attract which is the most annoying move in the game along with double team which is what his kingdra had!

It's hard to recall a specific one, but there have been several that I ended up quitting midway through because I just wasn't satisfied with how it had been going. I suppose a noteworthy mention might be my first Sword runthrough, which I actually really loved, up until the first wave of DLC came out. The problem was, in the time between finishing the game and the IOA rollout, I had gotten my team up to Level 100, with full EVs and Bottle Capped IVs, and everything, but that would have steamrolled through the Isle and made it no fun at all. So I tried planning a secondary team, but that one fell apart when I found out that the Shiny Melmetal I'd brought over couldn't be fed Max Soup. Ultimately I ended up preserving the main team in my HOME box and just wiping the save file, which stung a bit since I'd made lots of other accomplishments on that file as well, like getting my first 200 streak at the Battle Tower, completing the Pokédex and the Curry Dex, buying every piece of clothing, collecting every League Card background, etc.
You know what the nail in the coffin is? You could have just made a second profile and start a new run while preserving your original save. Though I don't know if the DLCs would have been available, but I haven't seen anyone talk about that so I guess they are also available for other profiles.

You know what the nail in the coffin is? You could have just made a second profile and start a new run while preserving your original save. Though I don't know if the DLCs would have been available, but I haven't seen anyone talk about that so I guess they are also available for other profiles.

Oh, I was aware of that. But I have OCD and I kinda need my "main" playthrough to be on my "main" profile. If I just had a lapsed save sitting there collecting dust on my main profile, I'd start to get anxious would inevitably end up deleting it anyway, so really I was just cutting to the chase.

(And yes, a single purchase of the DLC makes it available to all profiles on that Switch.)

Same here. The game was slow, the regional dex (I played Diamond initially) was lacking, the overuse of HMs grated on me, I didn't really care for the characters until the anime (DP anime is still my favorite). I finished it, but I remember playing it at all. I actually bought Platinum a few months back to give it a try but I find myself annoyed with it.

So I definitely welcome DP remakes especially if they add quality of life changes from recent generations.

Probably Ultra Sun. I loved gen 7 but playing the same game through again bored me, I wish it had been more different from Sun. The changes they did make felt forced and unnecessary *coughultrareconsquadcough* and it took too long to reach the post game.

Gen VII games are just hard to play through. I bought US over two years ago and still haven't come anywhere near completing it. lol. It's largely because I know how frustrating Sun was.

yeah but the remakes of ultra sun/ultra moon are even harder when you get to the part where you fight Ultra Necrozma (aka)
Ultra Burst Necrozma! you will need a bisharp that you will need to transfer over.

From a main game, my first White 2 playthrough. My god I remember how angry I was because for some reason my Pokemon felt under-leveled despite me taking my time to grind alot. I eventually just traded a bunch of Lucky Eggs from Black to make leveling up easier.

From a side game, I hated PMD Blue at first. I just couldn't get a hang of the game mechanics and it took me several months after buying the game to complete the first major mission of the game because I gave up playing it for a while.

There have been many occasions where I've tried to replay a game but not got very far. Sometimes I'm just not feeling a particular playthrough, so I quit after getting a badge or two.

If we're talking about completed playthroughs, though, then probably Ultra Sun. I'd already played through Moon four times, because I loved it, but this meant that Alola was starting to feel a little too familiar. I was very disappointed by how little had changed in the Akala and Ula'ula portions of Ultra Sun.

You'd think I would have been glad to see something new at the story's climax, but on this initial playthrough it seemed like a confusing mess to me, and it left me thinking, "What just happened?!" I've grown to appreciate this game and its revised storyline more over time, but it didn't make a great first impression on me.

I did have a great team on that playthrough, though. All three Alola starters, Alolan Raichu, Midday Lycanroc and Naganadel. I enjoyed myself still, just not quite as much as usual.

Pokémon Yellow is always the least fun for me. Obviously it doesn't hold up to today's standards, but even with that in consideration, I still felt it was a total drag. Lack of running shoes really gets me down.

I'm determined to collect every main series Pokémon game (except for Sword and Shield and whatever comes after probably) and play through them all, which is why I put myself through such pain to begin with. The original games really do not hold up at all, in my honest opinion. I can't give the games too much crap, though. I'm still very impressed with the programming, the creativity it took to push the restrictive boundaries of the Gameboy, and the fact it introduced a series very near and dear to my heart.

That still doesn't make me feel any less pain playing through.

I've seen a lot of complaints against generation IV (which I'm sure are valid complaints), but I've personally been having a lot of fun with Pearl.

For me, it’s a toss-up between Sun and my original playthrough of Emerald; but if I had to choose just one, it would be Sun.

Some of it was how different it was, along with all the cut-scenes (and the tropical setting is not one of my faves).

But some of it had nothing to do with the games, and more to how I’d grown accustomed to consuming them. Ever since Ruby and Sapphire, I’d played every release with my best friend of over 20 years. With rare exception, we’d take a few days off of work, go get the games together (usually finding a 24 hour Walmart and buying them at midnight), then play until we crashed.

So Sun/Moon was the first non-remake where I started out on my own in a brand new region in over a decade. I’d also just made another major move, gotten married and was adjusting to a whole new group of my husband’s friends, new co-workers etc.

So a game that was typically something that was akin to comfort food for me, suddenly was less so during a time that I really could have used it. I ended up barely picking it up after the Poni Islands. I finally finished it (and tore through Ultra Moon) shortly before the first DLC dropped for SWSH.

From a main game, my first White 2 playthrough. My god I remember how angry I was because for some reason my Pokemon felt under-leveled despite me taking my time to grind alot. I eventually just traded a bunch of Lucky Eggs from Black to make leveling up easier.

From a side game, I hated PMD Blue at first. I just couldn't get a hang of the game mechanics and it took me several months after buying the game to complete the first major mission of the game because I gave up playing it for a while.
Speaking of gen 5, my brother beat the elite four in black 2 with only 3 pokemon on his final team!

My least favorite playthrough was probably the one through Moon.

I usually pick Pokemon that aren't exactly fantastic to use in most of my playthroughs, but the one I had in Moon was absulutely abysmal. They were outsped by literally everything and could barely resist any damage, making a game that theoretically should have been a breeze because of exp share shenanigans into a nightmare. Mimikyu ended carrying the rest of my team once I got it, since it was fast and literally made to take a hit with its disguise.

Ultra Moon was a lot better of an experience because I learned from my poor team-building mistake.

In general though, Alola felt a bit underwhelming. Splitting the region into 4 islands was a good idea in theory, but the region felt so small since you could just take a boat wherever you wanted. Most of the islands were just circles too, so everything felt a lot more closer together.

Ultra Sun, it felt like a big slog towards the end, probably because I couldn't put together I team I was satisfied with. I didn't have that problem in Ultra Moon because my team was much more balanced.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom